Question for the Taurus community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Question for the Taurus community

Member #
    Liked
    23 times

Question for the Taurus community

So in recent years it seemed that Taurus is trying to step with manufacturing and product development. The question I am asking to the community is, do you think that Taurus stand with the big names like Smith, Walther, Ruger ect or is Taurus still just seen as a budget brand?
    777Driver likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    30548 times
    Their semiautos include some I trust a lot (the 700 series, or whatever they've been renamed) the G2S and G2C, and the 1911. Their stainless revolvers (model 856, the poly revolvers, the 605, any Judge or Judgeish revolver) are excellent. Most of them I've handled/shot have had triggers that were well above average, been well made, and performed very well. Their blued revolvers, on the other hand, are not at all to my taste. Blued revolvers should be polished blue, not a parkerized looking dull finish. I'm not hearing good things about the durability of that finish either. Their used DA revolvers are in many ways the only logical choice if bang for the buck matters at all. My polished blue model 66 can stand next the best American made revolvers in several respects. The finish is fantastic, the trigger is almost flawless (SA overtravel is the only real complaint I have, and I consider that minor), and the accuracy is very good. Can't comment on durability, but that's just because I've only had it a matter of weeks.

My best revolver is a Colt. But it cost a LOT more than my best Taurus revolver. Ditto for semiautos. Is the extra money well spent? I think so, but I can't make that decision for anyone else. I will say their customer service needs help.

I was talking to someone today about his Raging Bull .454 Casull. He said he's had it for 20 years, and gave it his daughter when she moved to Alaska. He had nothing but praise for that revolver, and clearly he trusts it. I'd say that says a lot about the brand.
    777Driver and loudviking like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30443 times
    I don't know what other people think, but I own 6 of 'em, autos and revolvers. I think they're up there in quality, but their customer relations leaves a lot to be desired. They offer no parts...number one problem. There are too many reports of customer relations putting folks off and taking a while to turn a warranty problem around. I've never had to deal with a warranty issue, fortunately, so I'm going mostly on what I read in this forum.

The guns themselves are well made, well finished and every one I've fired has been very accurate, especially the revolvers. I sold a Ruger Security Six when I got my 4" 66, a better shooting revolver all around. One thing I like about the design of the 66, the forcing cone is ROUND. I've had the forcing cone on a K frame Smith split at the flat spot on the bottom of the cone. I have a good opinion of the designs.
    one42A and 777Driver like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    30548 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I sold a Ruger Security Six when I got my 4" 66, a better shooting revolver all around.
    I just made the same transition in reverse order. Sold the Ruger, got the Taurus 66, and I agree with you completely. The Taurus has a far better DA trigger - like, no comparison - has one more round, is better finished, and better looking. The one advantage the Ruger has, judging purely by reputation, is ruggedness. The Ruger wins there. But I have never fired a DA revolver trigger I liked less than that Ruger. I got rid of it, the Taurus is a keeper.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    4602 times
    You will get a thousand and one opinions from a thousand and one people varying from "Taurus is complete crap" to "Taurus is the best value manufacturer in the business."
    In a purely subjective issue such as this it is usually the best course of action not to participate as it typically descends into a morass of pejoratives, name-calling, and one-upmanship. But this is a Taurus forum so most responses will likely lean toward the positive. It is also, however, publicly available so quite possibly there will be some of the not-so-positive.

Personally, I am enthusiastically apathetic on the subject.
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30443 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    I just made the same transition in reverse order. Sold the Ruger, got the Taurus 66, and I agree with you completely. The Taurus has a far better DA trigger - like, no comparison - has one more round, is better finished, and better looking. The one advantage the Ruger has, judging purely by reputation, is ruggedness. The Ruger wins there. But I have never fired a DA revolver trigger I liked less than that Ruger. I got rid of it, the Taurus is a keeper.

I don't know, my Security Six had a pretty high round count of hot .357s and was getting a little loose, still no end shake, though. I'd done a trigger job on it which it sorely needed. The 66 is awesome right out of the box. It's an older 6 shooter. It's a heavy gun, bigger physically, than the 80s 3" 66 I have which is a K frame clone in size. It fits in K frame holsters and the frame is too big on the newer one. The newer one is more of an L frame size.

My old SP101 was stronger than that Security Six, better lock up, and didn't have near the felt recoil despite the smaller frame and lighter weight. Yeah, I never quite fell for that old Security Six. I traded it off for a .357 Blackhawk after I got the Taurus 66. The main thing I didn't like with the Security Six is its lack of accuracy with .38 special which was so so, not terrible, but certainly not the tack driver the 66 is. It shot .357s fine, just didn't like .38s. Some .357s are like that, not really sure why. I've got three .357 Taurus revolvers, one small frame, two medium frame, and they all shoot .38s just as well as .357s.
    Last edited by NativeTexan; 06-03-2019 at 08:55 PM.
    loudviking and GhostHorse like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    21312 times
    I'd still call them a budget brand for a couple of reasons.
    1 - they don't really have a custom shop
    2 - their business model is lots of lower priced firearms with no high end or ultra high end models offered.

The finishes Taurus offers are fairly standard fare with nothing spectacular. the last real decent finish was the high polish on the 1911 with the gold accents. After that, especially recent years it looks more like a quick spritz with Krylon flat black. Taurus does make some firearms exceptionally well. The PT 92's, the model 85's, Models 65/66 and the judge. The 1911's are hit or miss as are many others. Compare those with say the older Colt Snake series and the differences are clear. I will put them on equal footing with Smith and Walther. Between Taurus and Ruger it depends which models you compare. I do believe Taurus could produce top quality firearms that would embarrass the other big names but the market just isn't there. If you can get a standard Taurus 85 for under 200 bucks, would you be willing to spend 700 because it was built up in a custom shop with a high end bluing?
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    7260 times
    I'll chime in with my $.02.
    IMHO, Taurus firearms are a budget firearm. From the removal of a lifetime warranty on many models (some after a quick renaming) to the lack of parts to their customer service after a sale (which, if I may say so, was horrid at best), I would have to say they are now a budget firearm.
    Now, 20 to 25 years ago, they were a viable firearm, especially revolvers, to S&W. Recently, they have fallen slowly. And the Taurus/Carter Settlement has been handled rather poorly by Taurus.
    Again, IMHO, Taurus is a budget firearm anymore.
    olfarhors and daytonaredeye like this.
    Desperado's Big Bang Theory:
    The theory that a "big bang" from a handgun, along with a perpetrator receiving a gunshot wound, is the best way to end violent personal or property crimes.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    To explain part of the Taurus image problem. I overheard this funny exchange at an indoor range recently. " I see your Springfield Armory XD was made in Croatia." "So what, at least they don't speak Spanish in Croatia"
    Desperado likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7379 times
    In the real world i don't think trying to compare Taurus to manufactures that have been around since the begining of gun manufacturing is a fair comparison . Ruger , Colt , Winchester , Remington and Smith and Wesson have been around the longest and you have very dedicated customers that are dedicated not just to the firearm itself but to the name of a firearm that's older than they are themselfs . Names like Glock got their reputations because of LEO use starting with weight of the firearm because of all the other equipment they carry adds up alot and afterwards comes reputations of of dependability .

BUT , all have had their bad streaks in history , like breaking down , miss fires , FTF and FTE . Then comes the bad reputation like some idiot that comes along and drops his loaded gun with the safety off and it jars enough to make it fire then comes along a lawsuit and with all the Anti-Gun people out there it's getting easy to sue any company . That includes where guns have been used in mass murders where judges are allowing family members to sue gun manufactures now .

So to just cut things short , your topic is really about do members here really trust Taurus firearms to be dependable and trust worthy ? Let me ask you , how long have you been active in firearms and what training/classes have you had and what gun manufactures have you actually had experience in handling and shooting enough to give a good review ??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links