• 1 Post By Don35745
  • 2 Post By GhostHorse
  • 1 Post By CJS3

Thread: Old oil or rust ?

Member #
    Liked
    23 times

Old oil or rust ?

So I was cleaning my pt92 and has noticed a very tiny brownish ring around the mag release. I had used a Q-Tip to swab around the button and I'm able to wipe it off just like that. The problem is it's still kinda there. Should I remove the mag release button to give it a thorough cleaning? So does this sould like rust or old excess oil?
    Yissnakk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    30476 times
    Can we get a photo?

Probably best to remove it though. Give it a good thorough cleaning. Get some thin copper tube, oil it up, and rub off the rust. Then use a heat-oil-heat-oil cycle to soak oil into the pores of the metal.
    Pappy50 and daytonaredeye like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7430 times
    It's Taurus packing grease, most likely. If you look closely, rust will always begin as pitting. The packing grease that Taurus used to use was a lot like cosmoline (may have been just that)
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    21281 times
    break down the release and use gun scrubber to really clean it out. If it's rust, it's due to moisture that got in and that will corrode the firearm. If it's cosmoline, then removal would be in the best interest of you and the gun.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    2020 times
    Either way, it's best to just take it apart and clean it.

Regardless of whether it is old lube or rust, that's something you want to get rid of ASAP.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    6069 times
    I agree, it's just best to remove it.

Member #
    Liked
    5821 times
    Sounds like preservative remnants that have worked out from inside the mag release over time, because it doesn't absorb moisture it just kinda sits on the finish and hardens into a thin layer of brown.

Best I can think of for cleaning it would be a little Hoppe's and an electric toothbrush since the area is so tight. It may take a few cylces to get it done, but you can work it out pretty well that way.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18273 times
    How old is yer gun?

And a pic or two (or more) is always helpful when addressing surface and finish issues. The mag release is easy enough to remove and clean thoroughly.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15969 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    How old is yer gun?

And a pic or two (or more) is always helpful when addressing surface and finish issues. The mag release is easy enough to remove and clean thoroughly.
    Plus a lot of us just like looking at pictures of guns.
    olfarhors likes this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Sponsored Links