• 3 Post By TrucksNCoffee
  • 4 Post By gwpercle
  • 3 Post By bobbojama

Thread: Pesky Springs

Member #
    Liked
    2207 times

Pesky Springs

I'm in the process of building my first AR, a pistol in .223. I'm trying to be extremely careful with pins and springs, but darn it! They keep getting away. First was the roll pin for the bolt locking device. I dropped it and couldn't find it for two days. Then I got a large, flat plastic tup with 6 inch sides to work in. That was helpful, it kept most everything inside. I was installing the buffer and put in the buffer retaining spring and pin. All was fine until I saw the pin was too low. I back up, removed the pin, and, low and behold, no spring! I swear it was in there, tight under the pin....oh well. Tomorrow I work and they will likely have one at the shop in the gunsmith area. We shall see. I did find the bag with the pistol grip screw and washer-wifey threw it in the bolt and screw sorter. I think soon were going to have a spare parts AR sorter as well.

It's a pain, but this whole exercise is costing me about 310 bucks. At that price, I may have to assemble a couple more and stash them away.

Member #
    Liked
    2715 times
    You need to use tame springs. The wild ones will escape every time.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19303 times
    See! Those years we spent as kids with Tinker Toys and Erector Sets have paid off.

Except as we grew up the parts got smaller.

And faster.

And Tinker Toys never turned invisible when we weren't looking.
    darbo, Yissnakk and GhostHorse like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    223 times
    Here's the secrete .... I learned this from my wise old Daddy...
    Never ever just buy one spring, pin or screw...always buy at least two , the smaller it is , then buy two, three or four.
    They aren't going to spoil , chances are they will need replacing ...if you don't loose it.

My Dad never bought just one of any small part and some large parts he would buy two ...his credo was ... You can always use a spare .

And if you have several spares on hand....just seems like a small flying spring isn't such a big deal when you have a backup !

Gary

Member #
    Liked
    4090 times
    As long as I purchase extra pieces of stuff, I never seem to need them. I the stuff I have only one of that ends up going missing... Murphy seems to hide in my shop..
    Yissnakk, GhostHorse and gwpercle like this.
    When people lose their way and begin to vote for their own yokes and chains and suddenly we’re all wearing them, when Government turns tyrannical and the light of liberty is being extinguished.... our 2nd amendment is our ONLY hope.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7600 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TrucksNCoffee View Post
    See! Those years we spent as kids with Tinker Toys and Erector Sets have paid off.

Except as we grew up the parts got smaller.

And faster.

And Tinker Toys never turned invisible when we weren't looking.
    That right there ^^^ is the unabashed truth! Whilst assembling my latest lower (for yon .458 Socom) The roll pin for the bolt release slipped out of my fingers. I watched that bugger drop and saw exactly were it hit the carpet. Two seconds later I bent to pick it up and it was simply not there. I ended up dragging a magnet all over that area of the floor and found it about three feet away...no clue at all how it ended up where it did...
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7600 times
    Ya know what would work best? Get a sand blaster container (the sealed box thingy with the window and built in gloves in the side?) and put everything in there to build. That way, even if a spring or pin took off, it's got nowhere to go.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11102 times
    Ah yes the ever elusive wild spring, often seen on the worktable with the other wild plungers, and pins. They will stay in their herd with the other wildlings until you approach. Whatever you do, don't try and force them into a place they don't like, I mean they don't like hard work anymore than we do. Often while the other wild parts distract you , the elusive springs and plungers critters will jump out and begin their trek to the unknown.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    3154 times
    I typically put my lowers together in a large, clear ziplock bag.....

....takes a bit of dexterity, but works really well at not allowing rogue springs to escape.
    If you're blue and you don't know where to go to, why don't you go where fashion sits......PUTIN ON A RITZ!!!

Sponsored Links