Would you really trust your life to your Taurus pistol? - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree362Likes

Thread: Would you really trust your life to your Taurus pistol?

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7430 times
    Naw, I just got lot's of them to sit and look cool and take up money and space.....................
    Is that the answer you wanted to hear?
    I don't own a one that I wouldn't carry, all run with anything I have come across.
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Thanks for all your honest feedback. Like most of you I own several Tauruses. Honestly we know they are a good price, look good, have lifetime warranty, and have extra safety features like the Taurus security system. I always had good luck with my PT 111. Never jammed. I shot about over 100 rounds in both. I ended up selling both. Then I got to this forum and read the problems people were having with PT 111 and g2c. Here is my problem history. My PT 92 mag release would not work. I sent to factory and they fixed it. My PT 738 would drop the magazine out when firing. I sent to factory and they replaced the mag release. The PT22 was the worst pistol I ever had. Even after I got it back from the factory it still jammed and ejected shells at my forehead. My opinion is a gun beats no gun any day. Think about this. You draw your gun in a dangerous situation. Your enemy pulls out his gun and points at you. Reliability is all that matters. And you will probably be pulling the trigger much faster than you did at the range. And most ranges only allow one shot per second. So you must know that your EDC must function perfect to win the fight and for you to see your family again. Food for thought. Thanks for the comments.
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8970 times
    I often carry my PT145 MilPro. I have well over 3000 rounds down range and the only failures have been a result of ammo or my own short comings. The gun goes BANG when I pull the trigger, and ONLY when I pull the trigger. I clean it on a regular basis. I shoot a number of different range rounds, but primarily Blazer Brass. My SD ammo is exclusively Federal Premium Hydra Shok. (It's proven, the gun likes it, and it's what a majority of the local cops use). I own a number of handguns and have several choices. I choose the PT145 because it's reliable, consistent, and I shoot it well. So yes, I would, without reservation, trust my life and the lives of my family to the PT145.

PS - I also own a Millennium Pro 24/7 SD. The primary reason I don't carry it is because it's a bit large in my opinion. I also have a couple of thousand rounds through it without any major failures. It's loaded and stashed. And it also trust it. Ironically, both guns were subjects of the recall.
    Last edited by Divebum; 05-22-2019 at 07:46 AM.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3942 times
    Back in 2008 Taurus was offering a 1911 model, and having always wanted one I decided to make the jump after reading some good reviews online and seeing the laundry list of higher end options it came with and yet it was very much a budget firearm. I've probably put several thousand rounds through it since then, and it has held up beautifully. The MIM internals and the aluminum frame that so many were worried about are showing very little wear, and the only time I've had any problem, that being stove piping, it was due to some home brew cheap range ammo. Everything else, and a very wide range of ammo I might add, not so much as a hiccup. It's been my bedside defense all that time, so to answer your question, yes.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

Member #
    Liked
    7609 times
    My go to carry gun since 97 or 98 has been my DAO Rossi 720 (Rossi is also owned by Taurus). A DA/SA version of the same gun does truck gun duty.

If Taurus hadn't been so crazy about porting barrels on the Tracker series, I'd have a couple or three of them, too.

If the gun in my possession proves reliable, then I'm willing to bet my life on it working.

I'll carry my Rossi's all day- and do, daily- but the HK Model 4 I own is considered only a safe queen or range toy since I can't get it to reliably cycle through a whole mag. I think its' record is 4 consecutive rounds.
    Last edited by jtg452; 05-22-2019 at 08:03 AM.
    NativeTexan and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31191 times
    My TH9c has given me no reason to not rely on it. It's been 100 percent with Winchester 115 grain JHPs, is accurate, points well, sights are well regulated, and it has firepower. I load it to +P levels. It's fantastic.

I have a PT145 which I finally figured out. It is now reliable. I bought it used. I don't like the striker/thumb safety, though, must prefer DA guns. But, I trust to carry it. I have carried my revolvers without hesitation. I have a .357 magnum 605 Poly I got 4 or 5 years ago that's amazing, super well made gun, perfect timing, smooth DA trigger, very accurate for a 2" snubby. My old reliable I've been carrying since 1996 is my M85SSUL .38 special. I've got multi thousand rounds through this gun with no problems.

I have two M66s, a 3" and a 4". They shoot better than my S&W model 10 or the M19 I had and are just as reliable, maybe MORE reliable as I've had one split forcing cone on a K frame S&W which I had to have rebarreled to fix.

I ignore the haters on the net and see no reason not to trust a handgun which has proven itself to me. I really like my Rugers, but they're big guns, not really that heavy, but physically large. They're older DA P guns. I traded off a Ruger Security Six revolver that wasn't that good a shooter in favor of the 4" Taurus 66 I picked up for 200 bucks used at a gun show. Man, that gun is pristine, super tight, perfectly timed, and will put 5 rounds into an inch off the bench at 25 yards.

Other brands have let me down, fortunately at the range, but Taurus just keeps on keepin' on. Mostly, of course, my Taurus experience has been with my revolvers as I've had 'em for a while. The TH9c was new a few months back, but as 9mm ammo is cheap, so cheap I don't even reload range ammo anymore, I've already put a lot of it through the TH9c. I doubt I have 1000 rounds through it, though, so I need to keep shooting it I suppose. But, I carry it and it's one fine carry gun. It functioned flawlessly when I defended myself against a cottonmouth a few weeks back. Danged near stepped on that thing.
    WoodyUSSLUCE and loudviking like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    569 times
    You have to remember that people who've experienced problems are more likely to post about it than those who have not. I've had to send a Sig Sauer in for work. I've had to send an S&W in for work. I've had to replace the firing pin on a Tri Star CZ clone. On the other hand I've never had to send a Taurus in. I carried my PT609 for a couple of years until the "recall" was announced. Then I decided to keep it, but only use it at the range. It has a LOT of rounds down range - somewhere approaching 20,000, and it still functions perfectly with never a problem. I have an 82 revolver that's been 100% as well, and my newest is a PT1911. Other than needing to adjust the sights it has been very reliable so far, but it's still fairly new.

These days I mostly carry my M&P 2.0 compact or a CZ Rami, but if I had a G2C I wouldn't hesitate to carry it (after firing a few hundred rounds through it first) based on my experience with other Tauruses.
    WoodyUSSLUCE and loudviking like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31191 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall-e View Post
    Thanks for all your honest feedback. Like most of you I own several Tauruses. Honestly we know they are a good price, look good, have lifetime warranty, and have extra safety features like the Taurus security system. I always had good luck with my PT 111. Never jammed. I shot about over 100 rounds in both. I ended up selling both. Then I got to this forum and read the problems people were having with PT 111 and g2c. Here is my problem history. My PT 92 mag release would not work. I sent to factory and they fixed it. My PT 738 would drop the magazine out when firing. I sent to factory and they replaced the mag release. The PT22 was the worst pistol I ever had. Even after I got it back from the factory it still jammed and ejected shells at my forehead. My opinion is a gun beats no gun any day. Think about this. You draw your gun in a dangerous situation. Your enemy pulls out his gun and points at you. Reliability is all that matters. And you will probably be pulling the trigger much faster than you did at the range. And most ranges only allow one shot per second. So you must know that your EDC must function perfect to win the fight and for you to see your family again. Food for thought. Thanks for the comments.
    I really don't care for the design of the .22s with tip up barrels. They don't have an extractor and I had NOTHING BUT TROUBLE with a Beretta Minx, which is a PT22 clone in .22 short I had for a brief time. So, I won't touch another Beretta OR a PT22 Taurus. I just don't care for the design without extractor. These guns are .22s, of course, and not defense guns. I have a Ruger SR22 which is awesome, 17 ounces light, and not much bigger than a PT22.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2524 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall-e View Post
    I have a PT738 that ejects shells anywhere 360 degrees from the gun. I've been hit in the forehead a few times, but it is the only gun I've carried in public (on very, very rare occasions). I see no reason to not use it for that reason. I never even considered sending it in.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisturner View Post
    You have to remember that people who've experienced problems are more likely to post about it than those who have not. I've had to send a Sig Sauer in for work. I've had to send an S&W in for work. I've had to replace the firing pin on a Tri Star CZ clone. On the other hand I've never had to send a Taurus in. I carried my PT609 for a couple of years until the "recall" was announced. Then I decided to keep it, but only use it at the range. It has a LOT of rounds down range - somewhere approaching 20,000, and it still functions perfectly with never a problem. I have an 82 revolver that's been 100% as well, and my newest is a PT1911. Other than needing to adjust the sights it has been very reliable so far, but it's still fairly new.

These days I mostly carry my M&P 2.0 compact or a CZ Rami, but if I had a G2C I wouldn't hesitate to carry it (after firing a few hundred rounds through it first) based on my experience with other Tauruses.
    Interesting that the 609 and 640 were recalled, but not the PT638. They must not be based on the same design. I have several guns on the settlement list, but no plans to send any of them in at this point.
    loudviking likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3560 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 230JHP View Post
    I really don't care what the name is on the pistol, what it's made of, or who says what about it.

I 'trust my life' only to what I've run and wrung. That's not just an issue with the pistol -- it's an issue with the ammunition, the mags (if applicable), the holster, the carry method, and the shooter (uh, that would be ME).

I've seen high-dollar pistols failing in matches where the 'you gonna shoot THAT?' pistols ran like fine-tuned sewing machines, and watched guns hang up in high-tech holsters while the guy drawing out of an Uncle Mike's had no problems making a 1 second buzzer to shot draw.

Fun range toy or family protector? Why 'OR'? Why not both?

But to directly answer the question . . .

Yes. Why would I carry it otherwise?
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    The name on it doesn't matter, reliability is determined by the number of moving parts. Regardless of how "well built" anything might be perceived to be, each moving part is a point of failure and in mechanics, the guy with the most points loses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    In a word, Yes. Any firearm that I carry I trust with my life. I've been carrying my PT709 for years. I also carry my PT1911. If I can't trust them, why would I carry them or any firearm I can't trust?
    I basically agree with all the above. I basically don't trust any gun from any manufacturer until I've personally vetted it with the ammo I'm going to use in it for defensive purposes. The name means little to me, only results. As far as Taurus as a brand, they've had a bad rep for reliability in the past compared to other brands. You might get a good one you might not. The reliability aspect seems to be improving. Reputation means little however when your particular handgun you bought isn't reliable. I once bought a defective Glock that might've gotten me killed had I needed it in a defensive encounter. It doesn't mean Glock is a bad brand anymore than saying Taurus is a good brand because my G2 has been totally reliable, even in zero degree F weather or even after firing hundreds of rounds in a day at the range in a 90 degree summer. I've also used it in competitions, just to test the reliability and to improve my own shooting ability. I think I'm only up to 1600 trouble free rounds through it so far, so it hasn't had the round count others have had. I've tested almost every type of 9mm ammo out there from 50 to 147 grain (except for steel case), and my G2 shoots them all without issues. I personally know of several people who also have the G2 who trust theirs for defensive use because theirs have been trustworthy also when they throughly tested it out with their carry ammo. I have however read on here that some people on here have had issues with them. So yes, I carry and trust mine because mine has proven itself to be trustworthy, not because it says Taurus on the side. When it comes to safety, trust needs to be earned.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links