Recommendations for SOB holster. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Recommendations for SOB holster.

Member #
    Liked
    25892 times
    If you ae going shoulder holster then you likely don't want to go cheap!
    I had a Bianchi back many years ago and it was extremely comfortable and suppported the weapon weight well.
    it was a Scorpio system, you bought the holster for the exact gun, you bought the mag or speed loader holster for the exact ones that you needed, and you bought the exact size that you needed for the harness.
    it was all leather and wide elastic and worked well even with a Dan Wesson #14 which is a fairly hefty revolver.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18401 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus1965 View Post
    Looking for a leather SOB holster. Prefer leather, right hand with palm in.
    So, you are wanting a right handed holster to carry at ~ 6:00 position? And yet you specify “Palm in” - so, are you willing to rotate your shoulder, elbow and wrist (torque them, actually) to draw your gun?

Due to arthritis of the spine and shoulders I don’t carry anything further around my waist that 3:00 position - being right handed.

Also, with the exception of pocket carry, I don’t “conceal carry” with IWB anymore.

If I were going to consider starting SOB carry, I would go with a Left handed holster carried at 6:00. This would allow me to draw “palm out” but would require much less rotation about the shoulder and little, if any, rotation of the elbow, wrist/hand.

Currently with 3:00 waist carry, can fasten seatbelt and comfortably ride in a vehicle and even sit in any chair or sofa I want without worrying about continuous pain in back.

Any specific reason you want to SOB carry? Specifically “palm in” carry? And you didn’t mention whether you preferred IWB or OWB Carry. Just curious.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31981 times
    Gunners Alley has a couple of SOB holsters.

Small of the Back (SOB) Holsters
    Taurus1965 likes this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1479 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    Gunners Alley has a couple of SOB holsters.

Small of the Back (SOB) Holsters
    Thanks this was exactly what i was looking for.MTR Custom Small of the Back (SOB) Defense Holster. Now to decide w/ thumb break or without.
    Smokewagon likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1479 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    So, you are wanting a right handed holster to carry at ~ 6:00 position? And yet you specify “Palm in” - so, are you willing to rotate your shoulder, elbow and wrist (torque them, actually) to draw your gun?

Due to arthritis of the spine and shoulders I don’t carry anything further around my waist that 3:00 position - being right handed.

Also, with the exception of pocket carry, I don’t “conceal carry” with IWB anymore.

If I were going to consider starting SOB carry, I would go with a Left handed holster carried at 6:00. This would allow me to draw “palm out” but would require much less rotation about the shoulder and little, if any, rotation of the elbow, wrist/hand.

Currently with 3:00 waist carry, can fasten seatbelt and comfortably ride in a vehicle and even sit in any chair or sofa I want without worrying about continuous pain in back.

Any specific reason you want to SOB carry? Specifically “palm in” carry? And you didn’t mention whether you preferred IWB or OWB Carry. Just curious.
    If I need to draw I prefer not to sweep muzzle toward me (Palm out). Palm in prevents that.
    daytonaredeye likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    527 times
    Keep in mind that you may not be able to draw your carry while seated since your body will block access to the gun. Also when you sit down you will have to be careful how you sit so the "THUMP" doesn't give away the fact that you are carrying. And you will have almost no knowledge of whether you might be "printing" while going about your daily activities since you can't see behind yourself.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2578 times
    +1000. I know LEO's that have permanent back problems from this just sitting in a car and one that slid on ice.

Maloy

Quote Originally Posted by FLShutterbug View Post
    Keep in mind that wearing a SOB holster with handgun in it could be an extremely bad decision. Should you fall down backwards during a scuffle or be knocked down backwards, you would stand a very high chance of breaking your back. I don't know what your situation while carrying will be, but if you can wear a sport coat, you might want to consider a shoulder holster instead of SOB. Depending upon the size of your handgun, it could be carried grip forward which would keep someone else from having easy access to your firearm. A shoulder holster does typically require being fitted to you but that is a one-time exercise. If wearing a shoulder holster would not be an option, I would recommend carry other than SOB to protect yourself from injury should you fall.

Member #
    Liked
    25892 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FLShutterbug View Post
    Keep in mind that you may not be able to draw your carry while seated since your body will block access to the gun. Also when you sit down you will have to be careful how you sit so the "THUMP" doesn't give away the fact that you are carrying. And you will have almost no knowledge of whether you might be "printing" while going about your daily activities since you can't see behind yourself.
    to me personally the inability to draw the weapon is the big downside.
    the falling on your back and injuring yourself is a non starter for me, I mean I have fallen or been knocked to my back wearing a SCBA several times and no real injury, although it does give one the knowledge of how a turtle feels on its back.
    same with printing---Who cares, here its not against the law and honestly unless you put something on the screen of a I phone ain't nobody gonna notice anyway.
    drawing can be a problem both in clearing the object covering the holster ( coat, shirt etc,) and of course if seated then the ball game is pretty much over.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Member #
    Liked
    25892 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maloy View Post
    +1000. I know LEO's that have permanent back problems from this just sitting in a car and one that slid on ice.

Maloy
    don't forget the ones that throw their backs out sitting in the wrong position while eating at the doughnut shop as well!!!
    some of them filled doughnuts can be pretty heavy!
    Taurus1965 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7380 times
    I don't think I read where anyone asked you what you plan to carry ? Myself when out daily I wear a shirt untucked (usually a square tail shirt) , but anytime I wear a coat like a dress coat I wear OWB and I don't worry if there is a slight bulge or print . Mostly I don't print anyway cause I carry small , nothing like those 1911s' . Like some have mentioned SOB isn't a great choice because of falling on your back from an accident or scuffle with a intruder . Big thing to remember is if a person not friendly is within arms reach that is TOO close for comfort ! Besides the SOB really is harder to do a quick draw than most any other positions . If your wearing legal you shouldn't worry about being too concealed . If your state is Open Carry you shouldn't worry at all about printing cause most have a law that protects you if printing . Texas does , and if a person see's you carrying and reports it causing a scare that person can be in trouble after you prove to an officer your legal . I see printing practically every day every where and I think nothing about it .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links