Problem with big cats and my free range chickens - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Problem with big cats and my free range chickens

Member #
    Liked
    7276 times
    I used an old JC Higgins bolt action, single shot and CCI CB Caps. The CB Caps are super quite and will take out a cottontail easily. I've also used the CCI Short HP which are a little louder but still quite enough to not cause an uproar with the neighbors.
    NC DCJTSD Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Member #
    Liked
    2210 times
    I'm not so sure that bait is a good idea, as it may attract other animals as well, including pests like rats.

The chickens have already proven to be all the bait that the animal needs to keep it coming back for more, so why run the risk of making an even bigger problem by attracting coyotes, rats, or any number of other critters with more bait?

As for hunting/trapping the creature, I'll save that for those who actually know what they're doing. But I would suggest putting up a trail cam by the chicken coop in order to identify the creature and better formulate a contingency plan in case there are state restrictions upon hunting it.
    Last edited by Tuco_Ramírez; 05-12-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    7334 times
    Have you contacted your local Animal Control or Fish and Game?

It'd be kinda ugly if you did catch or kill the thing and end up in a mess of trouble with them folks. Fish and Game could decide that you are poaching (as in trapping without a license) instead of pest control.

Besides, if it is a wild animal like you think, they have the knowledge and equipment to deal with the trapping or they know someone in the area that does it.
    silverstring, 230JHP and gbusmech like this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4308 times
    Free range equals free food for critters.

Member #
    Liked
    6724 times
    At 4 feet long and 2.5 feet high, that's a lot of cat -- more in the realm of a mountain lion/puma/catamount/whatever you want to call it.

In some areas it's legal to kill non-game that is a threat to life or property, but it's definitely a necessity to check game regs or contact DNR first. It's only a phone call, can't hurt too much.
    silverstring likes this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2718 times
    https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...continue-2018/

It looks like Cougars are alive and well in Arkansas.

Maloy
    silverstring likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    21590 times
    surveille the area, use trail cams and determine it's patterns. set up your hide to give you the best opportunities. AT that point, contact animal control or DNR and find out what your legal options are. Keep spare cash on hand in case you suddenly need to do some heavy duty landscaping with a backhoe.
    silverstring and Car_Doc like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    6285 times
    I will also whish you luck, please post when you get what ever it is.
    silverstring likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by .452dia View Post
    I used an old JC Higgins bolt action, single shot and CCI CB Caps. The CB Caps are super quite and will take out a cottontail easily. I've also used the CCI Short HP which are a little louder but still quite enough to not cause an uproar with the neighbors.
    Good idea. Got all that in the closet, somewhere. Now just have to get Mrs.Flash to let me set up my shooting point in her sewing room- - -she might be a bit picky when I have to move her Husqvarna to get a window position. If you hear a long loud shout from somewhere to the northeast of you means she prefers her sewing room the way it is. she's picky about that Viking machine.

Flash
    silverstring and bigC like this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    1324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyTom View Post
    That is why, I own two .22cal pellet rifles one break barrel the other under lever. Not a lot of report after firing those, but it will take out squirrell, rabbit, or other out.

That might work better. I liked Ickthus's Wrist Rocket idea, but one of the young-uns took it with him when he married and moved west. But maybe I still have the pump-up pellet gun I bought for them when they were too little to lift the 22's. That was DECADES ago, and it may, you know, and by now, it'd be under about metric ton of stuff in the garage by now. (Woah! The youngest one celebrated his 49th birthday last month - make that a ton-and-a-half).

If I camp on the deck with a pellet gun, my neighbors prob will only write it off as that cranky neighbor got some kind of a new walking stick. They'd have to be using binoculars to see EXACTLY what it was, and they aren't into binoculars yet, as far as I can see (with mine).

Flash
    silverstring likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links