Problem with big cats and my free range chickens - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Problem with big cats and my free range chickens

Member #
    Liked
    1995 times
    We have big cats in Arkansas I saw a MT. Lion up in Sylamore back in early to mid 80,s squirrel season
    silverstring likes this.
    Taurus PT 840 /Williams Adj, Sites/ 70969
    Taurus PT 92/ AF
    U S Army 73-75 Spec. 4

Member #
    Liked
    7536 times
    I have heard a cat is a cat regardless of size, what you need is a big cardboard box to lure him in
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11183 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    I have heard a cat is a cat regardless of size, what you need is a big cardboard box to lure him in
    Oh how could I forget....Big brown grocery sacks are a cat's delight..hmmmmm......I got a few of those large yard brown paper bags...........
    jimb1972 likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5878 times
    I have a lot of experience with chickens and predators. The obvious options here are to set a trap for it or try to stake it out and hunt it. The wet blanket I bring to the party is that if your chickens are free range something will always get them. I'm amazed at the number of people who refuse to accept that but it is always true. People tell me "a possum is killing my chickens". Well it's not a possum it's any one of ten or more of them. Or raccoons or bobcats etc. I had someone set out live traps for possums around their coop. Over time they caught seventeen and finally gave up. Chickens are easy prey. The only long term solution is a predator proof coop.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

Member #
    Liked
    1551 times
    And here I am, in PA, worrying about the free-range rabbits in town chewing down the pepper plants in Mrs. Flash's garden. Dadgummit, we live IN THE CITY! And the place is overrun with cottontails, and the neighbors say, "Yes, aren't they cute? That one there looks just like Thumper - - you DO remember Bambi, don't you?"

All the while, I am thinking, "Yeah. Bam, bam, bye-bye Bambi - or Thumper - I ain't fussy."

The new magistrate is a friend of mine, but I don't want to test the strength of his friendship over "Discharging firearms within the City Limits".

Though If I were closer to Arkansas, I might volunteer to stake-out on top of the chicken house for a few nights, just for a chance to enjoy country livin' again.

Flash
    silverstring and GreenWolf70 like this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    885 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash60601 View Post
    And here I am, in PA, worrying about the free-range rabbits in town chewing down the pepper plants in Mrs. Flash's garden. Dadgummit, we live IN THE CITY! And the place is overrun with cottontails, and the neighbors say, "Yes, aren't they cute? That one there looks just like Thumper - - you DO remember Bambi, don't you?"

All the while, I am thinking,
    "Yeah. Bam, bam, bye-bye Bambi - or Thumper - I ain't fussy."

The new magistrate is a friend of mine, but I don't want to test the strength of his friendship over "Discharging firearms within the City Limits".

Though If I were closer to Arkansas, I might volunteer to stake-out on top of the chicken house for a few nights, just for a chance to enjoy country livin' again.

Flash
    Rabbits? 1377 Crossman air pistol or a wrist rocket.

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    37050 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    We've lost three chickens the last few days to some kind of big cat. I've been told Bobcats are the local big cat, but this one has more of a body profile of a Puma or Mountain lion. No spots, about 4 feet nose to rear( not including tail), about 2 - 2/5 feet tall at shoulder and looks solid medium gray in color. We've seen him twice hanging close to our coop and always runs off to a small gulley by my front pond. For now we are keeping the 6 we have left in the coop, but I need to put this critter down.
    Considering baiting with slightly rancid store bought chicken parts, but really have no idea what I am doing. Not like posting up in a stand for a deer, I will be probably be posted up on my raised deck as that has the best vantage point to the area where the cat is hunting. Want to try and handle myself as opposed to hiring someone to setup a trap..Any advice???
    Why, when I read this, did I get the visual image of the movie The Ghost and the Darkness playing in my head???

Last edited by CWB; 05-11-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    silverstring likes this.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Member #
    Liked
    841 times
    We have Bobcats and Mountain Lions in My area but they are a protected species, check Your local laws before You dispatch one or it could end up costing more than the price of a few chickens.
    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
    -Patches O'Houlihan

Member #
    Liked
    1302 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash60601 View Post

All the while, I am thinking, "Yeah. Bam, bam, bye-bye Bambi - or Thumper - I ain't fussy."

Flash
    That is why, I own two .22cal pellet rifles one break barrel the other under lever. Not a lot of report after firing those, but it will take out squirrell, rabbit, or other out.
    silverstring likes this.
    RYRYRYRY
    "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

Member #
    Liked
    1302 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    We've lost three chickens the last few days to some kind of big cat. I've been told Bobcats are the local big cat, but this one has more of a body profile of a Puma or Mountain lion. No spots, about 4 feet nose to rear( not including tail), about 2 - 2/5 feet tall at shoulder and looks solid medium gray in color. We've seen him twice hanging close to our coop and always runs off to a small gulley by my front pond. For now we are keeping the 6 we have left in the coop, but I need to put this critter down.
    Considering baiting with slightly rancid store bought chicken parts, but really have no idea what I am doing. Not like posting up in a stand for a deer, I will be probably be posted up on my raised deck as that has the best vantage point to the area where the cat is hunting. Want to try and handle myself as opposed to hiring someone to setup a trap..Any advice???
    Some states, you can protect damage to your property by shooting the animal. It also looks like Bobcats can be very grey in color from what I have researched.
    More importantly, "If" you live in Arkansas... it all depends if Bobcats are "not" considered "game animals" by law. It does not look like you can use poisons per law, but you can trap them. So shooting them or trapping and then shooting them, may be the only options:
    I found this, in open source here: https://www.agfc.com/en/resources/wi...ance-wildlife/
    RYRYRYRY
    "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links