I'm Weak....AR 15 pistol kit
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: I'm Weak....AR 15 pistol kit

Member #
    Liked
    2019 times

I've been browsing AR15 pistol kits from a major supplier. Working in a gun shop that does transfers, I've seen dozens of examples of their store branded work and it's very good quality. I subscribed to the email fliers (mistake) and the day before yesterday there was a really good deal. I told myself if it got any better I would order one. Predictably, it got better. I ordered a FDE 10.5 inch 223 AR pistol kit that includes everything except the receiver. Now I need some recommendations.

I can get a Spike's receiver for around 75 bucks. I'm leaning that way, but could be convinced otherwise.

I'm leaning towards a Vortex Strikefire II for a sight. Once again, I will consider input.

Now the biggie-how do I put this thing together? Can anyone recommend a good manual? Will I need tools?

Thanks for the help, guys.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7372 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
    I've been browsing AR15 pistol kits from a major supplier. Working in a gun shop that does transfers, I've seen dozens of examples of their store branded work and it's very good quality. I subscribed to the email fliers (mistake) and the day before yesterday there was a really good deal. I told myself if it got any better I would order one. Predictably, it got better. I ordered a FDE 10.5 inch 223 AR pistol kit that includes everything except the receiver. Now I need some recommendations.

I can get a Spike's receiver for around 75 bucks. I'm leaning that way, but could be convinced otherwise.

I'm leaning towards a Vortex Strikefire II for a sight. Once again, I will consider input.

Now the biggie-how do I put this thing together? Can anyone recommend a good manual? Will I need tools?

Thanks for the help, guys.
    For the receiver, are there any special features on that Spikes that you really appreciate or is it just the name? If they didn't do anything special, just grab an Anderson lower (all billet milspec lowers are pretty much made at about 4 factories across the country and just stamped with a company logo on the way out, from what I understand) Primary Arms has their Andersons on sale right now for $39.99!! (https://www.primaryarms.com/anderson...lower-receiver)

As for assembly, if you can assemble a model or some of the age 14+ lego's, you'll have no trouble - check this video out - but hurry! Youtube is removing these assembly videos pretty quickly now!

777Driver and pegasus like this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    2019 times
    I'll watch the vid tonight. Looks good!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    226 times

The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide (AR-15 Guide Vol 2) by Walt Kuleck Published by Scott A. Duff (2002) Paperback https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HMVM2QA..._1weZCb5VVKR5R

I used the above, with YouTube, as a companion. There’s a ton of tutorials.

I recommend a punch set for ARs, a universal tool for AR (for castlenuts, etc) (I acquired a tapco), and I have a bench vise. I also have a gunsmith tool kit (hammer, screw driver, bits, tap, etc).

Toughest things for me to put in were the forward assist and the magazine release. Everything else was easy.

As for the optic, there are smaller profile tube sights similar to an Aimpoint t1. They’re lighter and the field of view is smaller but it’s an AR Pistol....

For a brace, the SBA Tactical SBA3 Pistol Brace is awesome since it can adjust on the fly. I added a Law Tactical Folding adapter to make the AR Pistol more portable in a bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by CDR_Glock; 05-03-2019 at 07:57 AM.
    Made for the very serious business of self-preservation - the 605 is built to the Taurus Zero Tolerance standard - in design, fabrication, fit and performance.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    36338 times
    Congrats on hitting<Enter> (our work is done here...oh, except that you'll need a 300 AAC also)

Looking forward to the progress...you'll want to shop KAK cans also, if not right away you will want one soon after shooting it without.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    We, in the USA, have become that which our ancestors fled.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7372 times
    The only tips I have (haven't scuffed a receiver in ages!) is that for your first time, use tape to protect - especially when putting in the bolt release.
    - on that bolt release, it uses a roll pin. Take a vice grip and carefully pinch the end you are going to insert first - makes the initial insertion much easier. A brass and plastic hammer is nice to have but really, if you're careful, any tapping hammer will do just fine.
    - When installing the spring and detente, use an alan key that just fits through the holes in the receiver and use a spark plug gap gauge to hold the detente in place as you slide the hex wrench into place to keep the spring and detente in there. then just put the take-down/pivot pin at the end of the hex wrench that sticks through and guide it into the hole (when you check that video, or THIS GUIDE) you'll understand what I'm talking about).

You really don't need roll punches and such if you have an Allen wrench (long set) set but they are useful.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    25622 times
    GEEEEZZ!
    whats wrong with all you guys wanting to buy these Savage Black Rifles--ahh Savage Killer Black Pistols that is!!!!???
    OH MY GOD!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    2587 times
    Midway actually has a really good series on assembling an AR. I watched others and wish I had watched theirs first.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    PT111 G2
    PT92 AFS

Member #
    Liked
    2019 times
    Yeah, I avoided the whole black rifle thing. This one is in peaceful, environmentally correct FDE.

Member #
    Liked
    9861 times
    I would suggest the Aero Precision Gen2 Lower Receiver. It has a number of features, but the best is a tensioning screw under the grip that will take out any looseness between the upper and lower. I saw them on sale somewhere in the last week for $50 but I do not remember where. AP sells a lot of there lowers rebranded. Spikes is one of those, if I remember correctly.

I just did a quick search, I guess the sale is over:

$68 blem from Aero Precision https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar1...zed-black-blem
    $72 new from Brownnels https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod80991.aspx
    $72 new from Primary Arms https://www.primaryarms.com/aero-pre...ver-ar15-gen-2
    $72 new from AIM https://aimsurplus.com/aero-precisio...lower-receiver
    CDR_Glock likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links