Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: I'm Weak....AR 15 pistol kit

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7384 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    Aluminium Flash Can for $16 with a diameter of 1.2" and a length of 1.75" is not bad. They also have a 5" long model for $27 but I am not sure what you would do with one that long, or why, unless you are trying to simulate a silencer. BTW, stay away from the steel ones as they are very heavy and add a lot of unnecessary wight to the end of the barrel.
    I've read that the aluminum ones have a tendency to melt if you do a lot of shooting all at once.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    9880 times
    I kind of thought that might be an issue, actually I was more worried about erosion in that cone, but none of that has been an issue. I think you would need to be firing multiple 30 round mags on full auto to even approach that kind of an issue. I have these on all of my AR pistols, except one (a Troy Claymore) and I have never had an issue with any of them.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    25636 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    One day I'll get around to really cleaning up my reloading/gun room and probably will find 10 springs and detents lying around! I've gotten to the point that I put a box in front of the thing when I go to put that pivot pin in place (now that's a pro-tip right there).
    OR just buy a refridgerator and put somewhere in the room, then all the springs automatically go under it when they escape!
    Yissnakk and GreenWolf70 like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9880 times
    Or just lay a magnet in the floor.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Seriously guys, I am NOT an AR fan. Tried one back in the 80's- couldn't hit a barn at 50 feet with it. So I am not enamored with the platform- so- what is the attraction to an AR PISTOL? is it the cool factor? the 'cause I CAN factor? shortening an AR to the point you need a strap to hold it down in order to control it, seems counter productive. I AM NOT DENIGRATING anyone because they LOVE the AR!! I am asking why a AR pistol? maybe it is the capacity? 30 rnd mag.. beats any other pistol. The WW2 era guys didn't run out and get M1A1 Garands for deer hunting- they bought Mausers and Springfields- because the Garands weren't available except through the Civilian Marksmanship program. Eventually we could get the Carbines out of surplus..guys like to hunt with what they learn on..I get that.. what do you do with an AR pistol? besides burn up ammo?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    36356 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy46 View Post
    Seriously guys, I am NOT an AR fan. Tried one back in the 80's- couldn't hit a barn at 50 feet with it. So I am not enamored with the platform- so- what is the attraction to an AR PISTOL? is it the cool factor? the 'cause I CAN factor? shortening an AR to the point you need a strap to hold it down in order to control it, seems counter productive. I AM NOT DENIGRATING anyone because they LOVE the AR!! I am asking why a AR pistol? maybe it is the capacity? 30 rnd mag.. beats any other pistol. The WW2 era guys didn't run out and get M1A1 Garands for deer hunting- they bought Mausers and Springfields- because the Garands weren't available except through the Civilian Marksmanship program. Eventually we could get the Carbines out of surplus..guys like to hunt with what they learn on..I get that.. what do you do with an AR pistol? besides burn up ammo?
    AR in general...low recoil, versatile rounds available, capacity, accuracy (for me anyway), ability to change a gun from a 5.56 caliber to 300 BLK and larger just by unpinning the lower and fitting a new upper, cost has plummeted, ..I could go on.

The pistol is all of the above and very maneuverable in close quarters, put a Starlight scope on it for work in the dark.

And they are lighter in weight than other platforms.
    We, in the USA, have become that which our ancestors fled.

Member #
    Liked
    9880 times
    I think you are going to have to get one of your friends with an AR pistol to let you shoot theirs (I just would make sure it is not 5.56mm they are way too loud, IMO). .300BLK subs cut the noise and flash down to almost nothing, it is almost like shooting one of my AR9 pistols, real handy inside.

For me, I only had to pick one up to immediately realize the potential and be sold on the AR pistol. I was at Franklin Gun Shop and they had just put together an AR Pistol for a customer and let me hold it. I built my own just a short time later.
    CDR_Glock, Yissnakk and olfarhors like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7384 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy46 View Post
    DISCLAIMER: I am not meaning this in any way to be an insult or trying to dog anyone out.

In my experience, the AR platform is one of the easiest and more accurate rifles made. I have quite a few different types of rifles from WWII era bolt guns to less than modern semi-auto's, and on up to AR platforms in multiple calibers. The 5.56/.223 Remington round produces very low recoil and very little muzzle climb, even when firing fairly rapidly (full auto or super-finger rapid fire is a totally different story).

To the point of the AR pistol - The only pistols I hve are in .300 Blackout as they provide the best muzzle velocity and energy transfer available out of a shorter barrel. I personally have no desire for an AR pistol in an actual rifle caliber as there is just too much velocity lost by shortening the barrel for my taste. The point of the thing is : 1) FUN! 2) maneuverability with no sacrifice in capacity. 3) Cost effective to reload for. 4) Accuracy. 5) FUN!

I'm not preparing to go CQB (but could if need be) nor am I preparing for the zombie apocalypse (but itsa comin'!! ). I just appreciate the ability to combine capacity, power, and accuracy in a relatively handy package - plus it's great for deer hunting (very light and more than enough to put down these midwest whitetails or wild pigs)
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    25636 times
    interesting, as i also am not a rabid AR fan, I actually have one a Bushmaster because I got an unbelieveable deal on it back a few years back, then i bought a S & W ar -22 so I could shoot cheap.
    several years went by and i got somewhat quizable about the 300 Blackout, did a little research, had the money, got turned on to a deal by a fellow enabler here and now i gots one.
    been working up sub sonic loads and 100% reliabilty now for about 2 weeks( 2 range trips) and this is what it did today.
    now understand this is a house gun, maybe a car gun if i want to go into the pharmacy business down in Vine city!
    but anyhow, this is at 15 yards with a non magnified halo sight and subsonc loads.
    I shot it out to 25 yards with about the same result actaully but these were the 3 rounds that I was testing at sub sonic for function.
    there were 2 other guys in the range next to me, both with ARs,
    one a 9 MM pistol that was waaay louder and more flash than my 300 , the other was a carbine 556 and you know how loud they are. anyway--thats my journey into the Ar blackout, so far i got to be honest i love the thang!
    its a 7.5 inch barrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    9880 times
    LOL, the AR 9mm can be quiet too, but you have to run 147 grain bullets and keep it subsonic. But even then the .300BLK sub is a little quieter.
    Yissnakk, olfarhors and CDR_Glock like this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links