Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Interesting defense in lawsuit against Newtown schools

Member #
    Liked
    3294 times

Interesting defense in lawsuit against Newtown schools

This isn't a political question, but a legal one. From the article:

HARTFORD, Conn. — A Connecticut appeals court is scheduled to hear arguments Wednesday in a lawsuit alleging Sandy Hook Elementary School officials failed to order a lockdown that could have saved lives before a gunman killed 20 first-graders and six educators in 2012.

The parents of two children killed at the Newtown school are appealing the dismissal of their lawsuit by a trial court judge, who ruled last year that school officials were immune from being sued and security protocols were discretionary.

The parents of Jesse Lewis and Noah Pozner are seeking undisclosed damages and hope the case prompts school officials to follow security procedures during future emergencies. Three judges of the Appellate Court, the state's second-highest court, will hear arguments Wednesday.

"Children will never be safe in public schools unless the towns can be held accountable when they entirely fail our children by either not having, not implementing or not attempting to prevent imminent harm to our most precious gifts," said Donald Papcsy, a lawyer for the parents.
    Now here's the possibly ironic or hypocritical statement.

Charles DeLuca, a lawyer for the town of Newtown and its school district, has said the shooter, Adam Lanza, was solely responsible for the killings and there is no evidence school officials were at fault in any way.
    But I thought that according to some school officials/politicians/the MSM, that the gun industry, the NRA or other law abiding gun owners such as myself were supposedly responsible. Seriously though, there is a pending lawsuit right now alleging that the manufacturer of the rifle is somehow responsible, even though there is no evidence the manufacturer or dealer were at fault in any way. Which is it?

Member #
    Liked
    2013 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    This isn't a political question, but a legal one. From the article:

Now here's the possibly ironic or hypocritical statement.

But I thought that according to some school officials/politicians/the MSM, that the gun industry, the NRA or other law abiding gun owners such as myself were supposedly responsible. Seriously though, there is a pending lawsuit right now alleging that the manufacturer of the rifle is somehow responsible, even though there is no evidence the manufacturer or dealer were at fault in any way. Which is it?
    Well SOMEONE has to pay! The idiot who did the shooting has no money, so who is going to cough up money in the wake of these emotional events? We just can't let a tragedy go by without somehow making money from it!

Member #
    Liked
    7448 times
    Which is it? BOTH, and ANYTHING that can be blamed by shyster lawyers that has deep pockets with a large amount of money involved.
    Heck, if Adam Lanza had Alpha Bits cereal for breakfast, the plaintiff's would blame the cereal for spelling out "kill them" in the leftover milk.

The plaintiff's in the Sandy Hook incident have been brainwashed by lawyers to spend money on lawsuits in an attempt to get something in the way of money from allegedly guilty parties with money. The only parties getting rich in this scenario are the shyster lawyers.
    Flash60601, 230JHP, darbo and 1 others like this.
    Desperado's Big Bang Theory:
    The theory that a "big bang" from a handgun, along with a perpetrator receiving a gunshot wound, is the best way to end violent personal or property crimes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    21456 times
    This sets up the perfect Catch 22 against the anti-gunners. If it's solely due to the actions of Lanza, it removes the school from liability and also means that any suits against firearms manu's are dead in the water. any other claim places liability on the school and security meaning the party suing will win millions upon millions. This then now sets precedent to hold every other school where a violent action took place liable for damages.
    Flash60601 likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    1270 times
    Isn't it remarkable how the seemingly distant problems suddenly show up in the most unlikely places, with often such severe and unforseen result?

"Unintended, disconnected, unforseen COLLATERAL DAMAGE"? So it would seem. Just hold your (collective) breath and see just how this turns out.

flash
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16262 times
    Federal law already says that a manufacturer can't be held liable for the misuse of their products. Hasn't stopped the lawsuits yet.
    Desperado and daytonaredeye like this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    30923 times
    Lots of lawyers are spaghetti cooks. They will throw anything against the wall to find out if it will stick. "Hey, let's see if the judge will buy that I was traumatized by anti-plaque toothpaste commercials, because I got a plaque at a science fair, so that's why I exposed myself to a flock of geese by the pond downtown and disrupted the annual staff picnic for Our Lady of Infinite Fig Leaves Convent."

Reason and logic have nothing to do with it.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    318 times
    If the gun manufactures are libel what about car manufactures, beer and alcohol manufactures and drug company's?
    If it's worth putting a hole in then it's worth putting a BIG hole in.

PT111

Member #
    Liked
    26135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maddogg View Post
    If the gun manufactures are libel what about car manufactures, beer and alcohol manufactures and drug company's?
    MAN --I m going to be a billionaire!
    I just wrecked my Ford Pinto and it caught on fire while I was drinking my beer and looked off the road at the bottle of percoset that I saw on the side of the road!
    we're in the money--we're in the money!!!
    Stroker and maddogg like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    7780 times
    IF you were driving a Pinto I would expect you to be drinking a beer.I am however impressed with your glassy and red eyesight to see said bottle of now empty percocet on the side of the road.
    Vengeance is mine sayeth the .45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links