8" gongs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 8" gongs

Member #
    Liked
    1094 times

8" gongs

Had an OP to shoot some steel plates for the first time recently. Was such a blast, I decided to spend some money & get some for the Cabin Up North.

So I bought 6 8" AR 500 steel plates. Have a good idea how to hang these. Will post some pics wen I get it figured out.

Found these on ebay. Great value.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-3-AR...72.m2749.l2649
    YOT, Yissnakk, 777Driver and 1 others like this.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS

58 AND COUNTING

Member #
    Liked
    5516 times
    Gongs are great and a lot of fun to shoot. A few suggestions...Make sure they hang at an angle so the shrapnel is deflected downward. Very important. Don't use chains to hang them. Seemed like a good idea to me at first but one round and they're gone. Use rubber straps. They can take a number of rounds before they are done. Go to https://shootingtargets7.com for mounting instructions and to get straps if you should so decide. Good luck!
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

Member #
    Liked
    226 times

8" gongs

This Is My backyard range.

I love gongs. Smaller the better. I have one set that is 6” and another that is 4”. Shoot small, miss small. Feedback from the sound is superior to paper, except for seeing a group size. Paper has to be shot, also so that you can also focus on groups.

I use The Last Stands as my support.

I use carabiners but they’re not too durable.

Since they’re not angled down, I don’t shoot them at less than 20 yards for 9 mm or 22 LR. For hotter guns, I go back to 25 yards.

Last thing you want it to get smacked in the face with a piece of copper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by CDR_Glock; 04-17-2019 at 05:19 AM.
    Made for the very serious business of self-preservation - the 605 is built to the Taurus Zero Tolerance standard - in design, fabrication, fit and performance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7378 times
    For the smaller gongs I just use Shepherds hooks (like for hanging plants in the garden). Just stab them into the ground and hang the plate on the hook through the eye-hole. It'll hold up to repeated .308 Win rounds at 50 yards without falling over (but that plate will jump!)

For the larger plates, 12" x 1/2", 12" x 24" silhouettes and such, I use a steel fence post (T-post for electric fence) with a piece of 2x4 and one of those T-post mounting brackets with screw in eye mounts, d-rings, and chains.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7378 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyC2639 View Post
    Gongs are great and a lot of fun to shoot. A few suggestions...Make sure they hang at an angle so the shrapnel is deflected downward. Very important. Don't use chains to hang them. Seemed like a good idea to me at first but one round and they're gone. Use rubber straps. They can take a number of rounds before they are done. Go to https://shootingtargets7.com for mounting instructions and to get straps if you should so decide. Good luck!
    That is a great idea! I've always used chain for the swinging ones , but that always ends up getting torn up - mostly when I shoot the hole in the plate that the chain attaches to!
    TonyC2639 likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10749 times
    I use AR500 steel hanging hooks for most of my plates.

example from EBAY: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AR500-Pipe-...-/332495570752
    Yissnakk and PreacherRodgers like this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7378 times
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstring View Post
    I use AR500 steel hanging hooks for most of my plates.

example from EBAY: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AR500-Pipe-...-/332495570752
    I've actually blasted some of the smaller plates off of hooks like that with 7.62x39 and .308Win. - swinging secondary hits, mostly. That's what got me to the shepherds hooks, since they flex but don't allow much swing. Those hooks are great for .223 and down through hand gun though (just my experiences, you're mileage may vary).

Member #
    Liked
    25628 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    That is a great idea! I've always used chain for the swinging ones , but that always ends up getting torn up - mostly when I shoot the hole in the plate that the chain attaches to!
    OF course there is the ever popular DUCT TAPE to hang them with as well!-------
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Yissnakk likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    1094 times
    Lot of good ideas here. I think the rubber straps may be an addition to my ideas. Will be putting it all together this weekend.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS

58 AND COUNTING

Member #
    Liked
    1094 times
    Pretty much ready to take to the cabin next week.

The frame is cyclone fence hardware. Those right angle gate adapters make it so I can take it apart when I leave there. The straps work real well. Ended up using a type of carabiner clip for the bottom attachment for quick release. Will show them after I get it all set up next week.

Also have a magnetic stencil to use to paint a bulls eye design on the gongs, Should be pretty cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS

58 AND COUNTING

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links