Home invasion defense plan?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Home invasion defense plan?

Member #
    Liked
    3597 times

Home invasion defense plan?

Who's got one? Who has actually taken the time and thought one out?

The wife and I have. We have talked extensively about this so that we are on the same page, What to do, where to go and how to react including notifying the police.

Our safe space is our bedroom. Only one way in and a lockable door. All the windows are high enough that no one is going to come in through a window w/o the aide of some kind of ladder. Yes we already have strategic positions within the room for both of us. The whole idea is to barricade and defend, not arm and search. Then also knowing the response time is an advantage. As a cardiac patient that has made more than one call to 911 I have a very good idea as to the response time for 1st responders is to my house. In this case 1st responders are always the local PD even though there is an EMT 1st responder that lives just 3 minutes away.

We are not so much concerned about daylight/daytime home invasions as we are on a dead end street and all the neighbors have been here the better part of 20 years so we know when there is a stranger in the neighborhood! Also the dogs all know one another and who belongs to which house. Also as an older community on this street there is pretty much always someone home everyday and the blinds are open! So the fear of course comes at night, in the protection of the dark.
    DeltaBravoKS and 777Driver like this.
    I am a Veteran, I am a Husband, Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather.
    I was labeled a Deplorable, now I'm a Nationalist rather than a Globalist! As a USA Veteran I will proudly wear that to protect our Nation!
    When they can figure out how to legislate Morality and Conscience I will consider talking more gun laws.

Join the fun!

Member #
    Liked
    478 times
    My plan, hold low and squeeze.
    misPhyr and gbusmech like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7211 times
    My plan is fairly simple:

- Know your states Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws, even if you have to have a consultation with an attorney to understand them. You COULD go to jail, in some cases, just for using or brandishing a weapon against a potential intruder.

- Add alarm systems to the windows and doors that one could access your house through. Simple motion detectors work fine. No real need to get super fancy here.

- Get yourself, and others, to a safe place within your dwelling.

- Call 911 and explain that your house is about to be broken into or is in the process of being broken into. Stay on the line until the police arrive. This recording will ensure what goes on, and whether your shooting in defense of self and property is justified.

I can not emphasize more the importance of knowing your states Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws, and how they pertain to a home invasion. Again, there is a fine line between a justifiable defensive shooting and a murder of someone; many times an overzealous D.A. will call ANY shooting in this situation a murder for publicity.
    777Driver likes this.
    Desperado's Big Bang Theory:
    The theory that a "big bang" from a handgun, along with a perpetrator receiving a gunshot wound, is the best way to end violent personal or property crimes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    25818 times
    well my plan is to call 911 , thats what the police are for!
    I mean thy will be there in just a few seconds and handle any emergency they are called out to.
    thats what they get paid for and they know how to do it and all about the law.
    then i wake up an realize all this is a dream and i better have a plan and preparations worked out ahead of time.
    there are so many variables depending on how well you sleep, number of people in the house, where they are in the house, if you have warnings that someone is entering your house, it goes on a nd on and on, every plan must be unique to your situation.
    now I am not going to get to far off in the weeds just let me say-- In a larger metro public safety we could in theory reach any address within our first alarm territory in less than 3 minutes (that's pretty darned good !) the problem is that all public safety calls goes through one 911 center, so that takes about the same amount of time to get a unit notified to respond and that's a bets case scenario!
    plus the nearest responding unit may be on another call and it could be many minutes before a emergency vehicle gets to you.
    and we never were beat on the scene by police who are stretched way thinner than Fire.
    just a heads up on waiting on the Lone Ranger and Tonto!
    777Driver likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    20021 times
    Shoot the bad guy.
    Reload.
    Shoot the bad guy again.

Other than that I tend to not sit around and worry about these things.
    I have a firearm in the home at all times.
    Our doors are always locked day and night.
    We have cameras and an alarm.
    I couldn't possibly think of every scenario that could possibly happen never mind that
    there is a 99.99% chance of none of them ever happening.
    It hasn't happened in 75+ years.
    Living in fear and worry at my age is detrimental to, well, people my age.
    I am prepared as best I can be without turning into Rambo.
    Bad guy comes into our home------------bang.
    I don't care about Castle Doctrines and stand my ground laws-----------bang.
    I care about my wife and our home.
    You want to put an old fart in jail for protecting his home, go for it.
    You better be prepared to keep my lawn mowed if you do.
    The Average American Now Complains More In A Week Than
    People Living Through The Black Plague Did Their Entire Lives

Warning: Posts by this individual contain matter which is known
    by the State of California to cause warpage of space and time.

Member #
    Liked
    32532 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacher39 View Post
    Shoot the bad guy.
    Reload.
    Shoot the bad guy again.

Other than that I tend to not sit around and worry about these things.
    I have a firearm in the home at all times.
    Our doors are always locked day and night.
    We have cameras and an alarm.
    I couldn't possibly think of every scenario that could possibly happen never mind that
    there is a 99.99% chance of none of them ever happening.
    It hasn't happened in 75+ years.
    Living in fear and worry at my age is detrimental to, well, people my age.
    I am prepared as best I can be without turning into Rambo.
    Bad guy comes into our home------------bang.
    I don't care about Castle Doctrines and stand my ground laws-----------bang.
    I care about my wife and our home.
    You want to put an old fart in jail for protecting his home, go for it.
    You better be prepared to keep my lawn mowed if you do.
    I keep aware of the laws and keep 'em in mind but I'm not about to offer myself or mine up as a blood sacrifice, just on the off chance I might go to jail. ...ya' does what ya' has to does when ya' has to duzzit.
    Rickenbacher39 and Car_Doc like this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Criminal's lives DON'T matter!

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Member #
    Liked
    5726 times
    it's not complicated. I live in Florida. Florida law states if a person does not live in the building or have full access to the interior of the building they should not be there. If they're inside the house anytime 24/7 and they don't belong there it is a legal shoot.

It is just me and Mama and the dog. I don't need a complicated plan, where to practice it monthly, or any other kind of overthink. If I hear them coming through the door, and believe me if I don't the dog will, they are fair game. Me and Mama both have our own bedside guns which we shoot on a fairly regular basis. It will not require any special thought on our part when we wake up to use the gun. We have no children, no visitors with children, and no hope of any children being in the house with us at this time of our life. Because of that the guns are loaded, round in the chamber, and no safety to worry about putting off. I don't live on a building lot I live on acreage so there's no problem with over penetration and shooting the neighbor.

Simple enough for me.

Don
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit; there are footprints on the moon!.... Unknown

Member #
    Liked
    20021 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    it's not complicated. I live in Florida. Florida law states if a person does not live in the building or have full access to the interior of the building they should not be there. If they're inside the house anytime 24/7 and they don't belong there it is a legal shoot.

It is just me and Mama and the dog. I don't need a complicated plan, where to practice it monthly, or any other kind of overthink. If I hear them coming through the door, and believe me if I don't the dog will, they are fair game. Me and Mama both have our own bedside guns which we shoot on a fairly regular basis. It will not require any special thought on our part when we wake up to use the gun. We have no children, no visitors with children, and no hope of any children being in the house with us at this time of our life. Because of that the guns are loaded, round in the chamber, and no safety to worry about putting off. I don't live on a building lot I live on acreage so there's no problem with over penetration and shooting the neighbor.

Simple enough for me.

Don
    That's a good plan.
    I like it.
    Keep it simple.
    BangBang likes this.
    The Average American Now Complains More In A Week Than
    People Living Through The Black Plague Did Their Entire Lives

Warning: Posts by this individual contain matter which is known
    by the State of California to cause warpage of space and time.

Member #
    Liked
    3748 times
    You can drive yourself crazy trying to create responses for every scenario you might encounter in a home invasion. Here's my KISS solution. Own a gun, and get comfortable with it. Can you comfortably and reliably put shot after shot into a man sized targets torso area, center mass as we say, at 7 yards? Is your firearm easily accessible from your sleeping position? You're going to want to be able to have that in your hands, round chambered and safety off within 5 seconds. That's not going to cover all bases, but it's a good base from which build on. Do you have the number of an attorney in your area that is familiar with firearm self defense laws? You might want to talk to one, and get a couple cards so you can put one on the fridge and one in your wallet. If you're a member of the NRA or USCCA, I believe they can even help you find one. Do you know what to do when the shooting stops and the police arrive? Make sure someone is on the phone with dispatch when they are arriving giving clear updates and descriptions, and make sure they don't walk in the door and find you standing there with a gun in your hand. Do you know how to answer the million and one questions they are going to ask you? If you answered "I want to speak to my lawyer", pat yourself on the back because you know more than how to just punch holes in targets. It's not about whether the police are going to be friendly or not, if they are arresting you or not, if they want to sweet talk you or not. Trusting them isn't the only thing you need to be leery of, you need to be leery about trusting yourself at that point too. Perhaps even more so. You're going to be flooded with survival chemicals, your body and mind might be playing tricks on you or not working optimally. Lawyer up, take some time to think about your actions, reactions, and how everything played out. A lawyer, especially one familiar with shootings, can help you here. Bottom line is, do everything you can to ensure you and your family get out of that situation alive, and prepare for the aftermath of that now when things are calm and you are rational, rather than when someone is bleeding out on your living room floor.
    Smokewagon likes this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

Member #
    Liked
    4562 times
    We have a whole house monitored alarm and use it (many don't). I have a bedside .38 Spc. and a Maverick 88 just a few inches away. It is just my wife (who is also firearms trained and proficient) and I so we don't worry too much about over-penetration and harming anyone in an adjacent part of the house.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links