So which Bear Defense Cartidge and Handgun will it be? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Which Bearslayer did I get and which one would you choose for yourselfl

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 20 like Ted Nugent

6 19.35%
  • SA XDm in 10mm

2 6.45%
  • S&W Mountain Gun in .41 Mag if they'd bring it back

1 3.23%
  • 4" Ruger Redhawk in .41 Mag

2 6.45%
  • 4" Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag

9 29.03%
  • 1911 in 10mm no need to be brand specific

4 12.90%
  • 4.2" Ruger GP100 in .357 Magnum

2 6.45%
  • 4" S&W 629 in .44 Magnum

5 16.13%
  • 4" Dan Wesson revolver in .460 Rowland if they'd bring it back

1 3.23%
  • Grand Power M40 in 10mml

1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: So which Bear Defense Cartidge and Handgun will it be?

Member #
    Liked
    2717 times
    None of the above. I'm either going to take my Glock 40 10mm with 180 gr. Underwood ammo or my Raging Bull 6 1/2 in. barrel .454 with 300 gr fmj ammo.
    loudviking likes this.
    Hang together or Hang seperately

Member #
    Liked
    26442 times
    ahh-umm-well u see-ahh--is that a Koala Bear or a Polar Bear that we are hunting???
    gbusmech likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    26442 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    I guess I don't really get the 960 concept 9x23win loaded to the same OAL as 9x19 has the same case capacity as the 9x19 so it's basically just a way over pressure 9x19 with a heavier recoil spring I would guess. I have played a bit with some really hot 9x19, but with .38 super, 9x23, and .357sig, available as well as 9x25 Dillon, do we really need another hot 9mm?

heck read the old-old COLT advertising for the 1911 chambered in Super 38 (that was before the plus p loading) and they indicated that it was THE weapon caliber of choice if hunting elephant, rhino, bear, and other creatures.
    so thars ur Answer!
    BY the way I hold beers if needed while you do this--at a distance of course!
    jimb1972, gbusmech and 45 Forever like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19315 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    heck read the old-old COLT advertising for the 1911 chambered in Super 38 (that was before the plus p loading) and they indicated that it was THE weapon caliber of choice if hunting elephant, rhino, bear, and other creatures.
    so thars ur Answer!
    BY the way I hold beers if needed while you do this--at a distance of course!
    Around the same time old JMB was developing a 9.8mm cartridge to be used in a similar gun to the 1900 Colt automatic. As soon as he get it ready to produce, WWI was gearing up and everyone just went with the already mass produced 9mm. Any earlier development was impeded until the more powerful smokeless powders were invented. Black powder didn’t produce enough energy to cycle an automatic.

That cartridge was graduated to a .40 G&A (Gun’s & Ammo) which was darn near the current 10mm rounds. Jeff Cooper was an advocate of the .40G&A until he decided to participate in the development of the 10mm.

If I was gonna damn well need to stop the attack of a bear, I would probably use a high capacity 10mm gun shooting 220 to 230 gr hardcast Doubletapp. Glock might work but Hickock45 had to use a Lone Wolf barrel in a G20 to keep the 220 gr hardcast from keyholing out of the stock Glock barrel.
    57K and olfarhors like this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19315 times
    Despite my above comment, I chose the SA XDm in 10mm. Only because I’ve seen them and handled them (4.5” and 5.25”) and they have a 15+1 capacity. Didn’t buy one as I’m not so sure I want a SA (even an auto) when facing a bear. I noticed that “other” not listed as an option but, if it was, I woulda gone with a Sig DA/SA P220 Elite in 10mm. Only 8+1 configuration but no thumb safety (or mini grip safety) to have to worry about misbehaving at an inopportune time.
    57K likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    984 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Despite my above comment, I chose the SA XDm in 10mm. Only because I’ve seen them and handled them (4.5” and 5.25”) and they have a 15+1 capacity. Didn’t buy one as I’m not so sure I want a SA (even an auto) when facing a bear. I noticed that “other” not listed as an option but, if it was, I woulda gone with a Sig DA/SA P220 Elite in 10mm. Only 8+1 configuration but no thumb safety (or mini grip safety) to have to worry about misbehaving at an inopportune time.
    Because of its longer forward slide rails that essentially give you a steel bathtub under the barrel's chamber area, I'd go with the XDm also. Ran across some somewhat odd older data last night from one of Western's former ballisticians. Seems he had a fascination with Enforcer with loads in .40 S&W and the .45 ACP in two consecutive load guides, and using a Magnum primer.Excellent performance for the .45 without getting into +P pressure

I probably should have loaded some of those .45s, and the XDm 45 was the first pistol I bought site unseen, but after a local dealer got one and notified me. Added a PRP Match Trigger kit also.

I'll just give the data for the in-between 200 gr. XTP .45 ACP/Enforcer load with pressure reported as 19,043 PSI with a FED 150 primer with Enforcer where 16.2 grs. is shown as MAX. Velocity is rated 1165 FPS, with a very good Standard Deviation of 10 FPS. But like I said, I've never gotten around to making/confirming the Enforcer data. The Test barrel was 5".

Might be worth looking into to see how much Enforcer you can actually get into a .45 ACP case and still have enough room to seat the bullet. In this case, OACL with the 200 gr. XTP is 1.215". Then there are loads at 185 and 230 grs. The 230 and the 200 ballistics are at least as good as most factory loaded 10mm. In case you have that old faithful .45 ACP pistol already.
    jimb1972 and daytonaredeye like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7097 times
    Some good guns there. I'm going to suggest that the Charter Arms Mag Pug in .41 is going to be a little more carry-able then a lot of them, though. It's even pretty concealable if you need that to be an option for whatever reason.

OTOH, as you'd probably think, it has more felt recoil than many of them, too. Mine has been reliable for the few rounds I've put through it, decently accurate for what it is and more or less manageable during shooting, but it's definitely not something I ever shoot "for fun." But lugging a 3 pound Super Blackhawk on a 10 mile mountain hike isn't fun either.

Member #
    Liked
    984 times
    BTW, guys. I didn't mean to complicate the poll. But making it multiple choice might have been a bit much since no one has taken a stab at my personal selection. Then, after having to get instructions on how to to add a poll in the first place, the multiple choice thing didn't work right for me, either!

I did vote for the big mistake I made in not buying a S&W .41 Mountain Gun. Because while the trend, which I tried to accurately represent, seems to be towards the 10mm, I didn't want to stray to far away from the cartridge.

About the only question I'd have is how well I could shoot one, because in reality, the 10mm isn't a .41 mag, and if you look way back you'll see that factory 240 gr. .44 Mag loads chrono'd more like 1250 FPS while the 210 gr. .41 mag loads were closer to 1400 FPS .

Now it appears that we got a ball game while the team that's ahead is not the one I would have expected.
    daytonaredeye likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2717 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 57K View Post
    BTW, guys. I didn't mean to complicate the poll. But making it multiple choice might have been a bit much since no one has taken a stab at my personal selection. Then, after having to get instructions on how to to add a poll in the first place, the multiple choice thing didn't work right for me, either!

I did vote for the big mistake I made in not buying a S&W .41 Mountain Gun. Because while the trend, which I tried to accurately represent, seems to be towards the 10mm, I didn't want to stray to far away from the cartridge.

About the only question I'd have is how well I could shoot one, because in reality, the 10mm isn't a .41 mag, and if you look way back you'll see that factory 240 gr. .44 Mag loads chrono'd more like 1250 FPS while the 210 gr. .41 mag loads were closer to 1400 FPS .

Now it appears that we got a ball game while the team that's ahead is not the one I would have expected.
    While running your chrony tests, you should check out the Underwood 180 gr. out of a 6" barrel. You're right. A 10mm isn't a .41 mag. My 10mm holds 15 rounds...
    57K likes this.
    Hang together or Hang seperately

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20834 times
    I voted for the 1911 in 10mm just because I want one. Note lots of bears here and hunt them regularly, several one shot clean kills with my firearm of choice a old Savage '06 with 220 gn hand loads, however one season I took a nice young male at 20 yards with a 5.5 in Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt with hand loaded 240 gn JHP. My BIL was with me in the blind armed with a '06 is why I took the opportunity to give the handgun a try and it was a one shot to the head for the take down. Note though, I used a rest and had lots of time and waited for the perfect shot.

Name:  MDGC0002.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  86.4 KB
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links