So which Bear Defense Cartidge and Handgun will it be? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which Bearslayer did I get and which one would you choose for yourselfl

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 20 like Ted Nugent

6 19.35%
  • SA XDm in 10mm

2 6.45%
  • S&W Mountain Gun in .41 Mag if they'd bring it back

1 3.23%
  • 4" Ruger Redhawk in .41 Mag

2 6.45%
  • 4" Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag

9 29.03%
  • 1911 in 10mm no need to be brand specific

4 12.90%
  • 4.2" Ruger GP100 in .357 Magnum

2 6.45%
  • 4" S&W 629 in .44 Magnum

5 16.13%
  • 4" Dan Wesson revolver in .460 Rowland if they'd bring it back

1 3.23%
  • Grand Power M40 in 10mml

1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: So which Bear Defense Cartidge and Handgun will it be?

Member #
    Liked
    970 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    My choice is not on the poll list.... now that I have been shooting my new Ruger Alaskan 2.5 inch revolver in .454 Casull (150 rounds so far) I am confident I can put the bullets where they need to go. I am not shooting two inch groups but I can put multiple hits (4 out of 6 shots) into a paper plate consistently at 25 yards. If I continue to practice I'm sure I will get better. However, since big bears are kind of rare here in Florida I do not see a need for a Bearslayer but if that situation should suddenly change my Alaskan shooting .454 Casull will be my Bearslayer.

Don
    If I hadn't added 2 discontinued revolvers, the Alaskan would have been in the poll, so just consider that an oversight on my part.
    BangBang likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    970 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Hmm, I didn't know anyone had made a .460 Rowland revolver!
    GH, I'm sure you remember the late great Jim Cirillo. I can't remember all the details, or the business relationship, but the former owner of Dan Wesson and he developed a great friendship before Dan Wesson was sold to CZ. Mr. Cirillo may be part of the reason for the DW 460 because I know that he got one of the first models from production.

In this day and age of the internet and the bear defense question being so commonly discussed, I thing the DW 460 would do very well today. It came with moon clips and any .45 auto round could be fired in it. The ACP, +P, Super, Win Mag and the .460 Rowland of course. Jim Cirillo, being the very savvy guy he was, and knowing the .460 was first an auto pistol cartridge, he talked about the better performance of the .460 Rowland from a 4" revolver, and he was right. Because powders were faster burning than those used for magnum revolver loads, the .460 gave better performance from a 4" revolver than the .44 Magnum.

IMO, a cartridge ahead of its time!
    GhostHorse likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    29922 times
    Apparently no love for my fave, the +P .45 Colt in the Ruger Blackhawk, as powerful as ANY .44 magnum and lighter on the hip in rough country than most. Besides, I love my single actions.
    gbusmech likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5625 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 57K View Post
    If I hadn't added 2 discontinued revolvers, the Alaskan would have been in the poll, so just consider that an oversight on my part.

No problem my friend, I was very happy to see the Grand Power on the list. Most folks know very little about them but I consider them fine quality firearms. I own two of them and when I find an Excalibur in 9mm it will go home with me!

Don
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit; there are footprints on the moon!.... Unknown

Member #
    Liked
    5625 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 57K View Post

No problem my friend, I was very happy to see the Grand Power on the list. Most folks know very little about them but I consider them fine quality firearms. I own two of them and when I find an Excalibur in 9mm it will go home with me!

Don
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit; there are footprints on the moon!.... Unknown

Member #
    Liked
    970 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Apparently no love for my fave, the +P .45 Colt in the Ruger Blackhawk, as powerful as ANY .44 magnum and lighter on the hip in rough country than most. Besides, I love my single actions.
    NT, only because it isn't DA. If I had had more choices, a Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt and the Alaskan would have been in the poll. Unfortunately, I added two revolvers that I wish I had bought when they were available. But at least there is the potential of S&W bringing back the Mountain Gun, but it didn't allow the 30,000 PSI loads in .45 Colt. It was kinda light for .44 Mag, but portable enough for the job whereas the .41 Mag version is like Goldilocks. I even handled one at the gunshop long enough that I almost talked myself into leaving with it, but at the time I felt it was a bit too light and probably because one of my Redhawks in .41 Mag had the 5 1/2" barrel. For me, the 4" .41 Mag (dealer exclusive) makes lots of sense considering that a good many folks have decided that the 10mm is enough.

Personally, it used to wear me out hearing some gun-counter commando telling a customer that the 10mm was equal to the .41 Magnum. Handloaded: not even close. At the top of its performance capability, the 10mm does not provide energy above what you can handload in .357 Magnum, even if you're handloading 10mm.
    Last edited by 57K; 04-10-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    BangBang likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    970 times

Don
    Well, Don,the rotating barrel concept is not actually new, but neither was it ever chambered for such powerful handgun cartridges before lately where my memory is telling me that the auto maybe responsible for its return was the Mauser M2, followed by the Beretta Cougar.

BTW, in just the past 10 days or so I asked Eagle Imports if the 9mm version of the Grand Power was capable of sustained use of +P loads. It should be. To their credit, they were very forthright in telling me that they are no longer the distributor. The new one I've never even heard of, so maybe there's a direct connection to the Slovakian Manufacturer.

I really like the 5" 40L, so I didn't correct the little typing error I made when I listed it. A rotating lock-up pistol is definitely on my list of new things to try, and easily on my bucket list!
    BangBang likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5625 times
    If y'all wish for a semi auto .460 Rowland then a semi auto .460 Rowland you shall have! There is also a .960 Rowland available for smaller frame guns...

https://www.460rowland.com/product-c...y/conversions/

Don
    57K likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    970 times
    If y'all wish for a semi auto .460 Rowland then a semi auto .460 Rowland you shall have! There is also a .960 Rowland available for smaller frame guns...

Don
    Wow! Or as the band Montrose sang, Rock the Nation!
    BangBang likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7448 times

Don
    I guess I don't really get the 960 concept 9x23win loaded to the same OAL as 9x19 has the same case capacity as the 9x19 so it's basically just a way over pressure 9x19 with a heavier recoil spring I would guess. I have played a bit with some really hot 9x19, but with .38 super, 9x23, and .357sig, available as well as 9x25 Dillon, do we really need another hot 9mm?
    57K likes this.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links