Like Tree18Likes
  • 11 Post By BangBang
  • 1 Post By chefduane
  • 1 Post By jeeper1
  • 2 Post By olfarhors
  • 1 Post By jspdrcrmach5
  • 1 Post By GhostHorse
  • 1 Post By daytonaredeye

Thread: Added another odd ball to my pile!

Member #
    Liked
    5756 times

Thumbs up Added another odd ball to my pile!

I admit it.... I am addicted to guns that are odd, different, and plain out weird! Especially guns in .22LR. Many of my friends and acquaintances are aware of this which benefits me because I have many eyes in many places looking for odd stuff I might not already have!

I got a phone call from a friend about 10:00 last night. He owns a pawn shop in Ocala and he called on his way home to let me know he had a gun I might be interested in. I was there when he opened up and looked at the gun. Yup, I had to have it....

The gun is a .22LR, 10 shot pepperbox, built by Leinad (Cobray) in Ducktown, Tn. I already have a double barrel, .45 Colt/410 derringer made by the same company in my collection. These little guns have appreciated very nicely over time. They could originally be bought for $59 or $69 a number of years ago and now they are bringing 250 to $400 when you can find one.

To load the gun the barrels/chambers (one piece) are removed and a round is inserted into each chamber they the gun is reassembled. There is a notch rear sight on the grip frame of the gun and each barrel has it's mown front sight. To shoot the gun you pull the trigger and then manually rotate the cylinder to the next barrel, cock and shoot, and repeat until the gun is empty.

It is not an expensive fancy gun. In fact it is really just an oddball gun that always gets a lot of attention when at the range!

Don

Attached Images Attached Images     
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit; there are footprints on the moon!.... Unknown

Member #
    Liked
    4800 times
    What is the vintage on that? Was it a precursor to the auto-rotating cylinder? Interesting little gun. I can understand your desire for it!
    BangBang likes this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Arms Undercover .38 Spc - Mossberg Mav88 Pistol Grip - Mossberg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever H001 .22LR - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip Holster - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    4958 times
    Those were made in the 1980s and 90s.
    I used to have a couple of them. I can only find my 12 gauge flare launcher one.
    The other one, a 45 caliber muzzle loader, is missing.
    The safety on them always bothered me since you had to put it on to load/open the action and off to fire it.
    BangBang likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26135 times
    I imagine that you will play hell finding a speed loader for that!
    PreacherRodgers and BangBang like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    719 times
    I am drooling with envy.
    BangBang likes this.
    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
    -Patches O'Houlihan

Member #
    Liked
    30923 times
    Soooo unique and cool. Love it.
    BangBang likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18866 times
    So, does that shoot the cartridges sequentially in rotation or do all 10 fire at once? I thought the original pepper box guns (of the 1800s) shot a load of ball shot all at once.
    BangBang likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    5756 times
    The gun fires each individual shot in rotation as the shooter rotates the cylinder one shot at a time.

Don
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit; there are footprints on the moon!.... Unknown

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30650 times
    The original Mississippi river boat gambler pepper boxes indeed fired one round at a time. They were "revolvers" of an early age and loaded loose black powder and ball and were fired by cap. Then, Sam Colt decided one didn't need, but one barrel.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Sponsored Links