• 2 Post By CJS3
  • 1 Post By jspdrcrmach5
  • 1 Post By 230JHP

Thread: Lazy Range Officers are Dangerous

Member #
    Liked
    6545 times

Lazy Range Officers are Dangerous

I've seen ROs and SOs (same thing, depends on the sport) who were weren't much more than timer operators, but this RO on this run nearly gets someone killed.

Seriously -- not checking downrange is clear before 'Load and make ready'?

Both the RO and the scorekeeper need to be taken out and beaten. Anytime I was keeping score, I made damned sure I was the last one back to the line from resetting a stage.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10535 times
    Even on a KD range you have to monitor the firing line closely. I once got reamed out for not reporting to a visiting one star before securing my range.
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Member #
    Liked
    47495 times
    Yes, he should have done a visual once over, but as you can see, the fellow in the back setting up the next stage, is oblivious to the gunfire, right up to being shot towards. This tells me he's either deaf or he's wearing some really good ears.
    Last edited by rollin thunder; 04-07-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    We the People...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    26133 times
    perhaps on this course you get EXTRA points for hitting the moving. screaming targets?
    a case of why is everyone in such a hurry to get going ?
    take time to clear the course, relax, take a deep breath and then proceed.
    rollin thunder likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16261 times
    I wonder if the guy downrange told anyone he was going downrange? Yeah, just like "lazy ROs", not following basic safety practices is just as dangerous.
    rollin thunder and Desperado like this.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    6545 times
    Okay, my bad. A little background in what's going on.

This is an RO and a scorekeeper running a shooter through a stage at a match.

At just about any given match, there will be multiple stages running at the same time. If you look at the tops of the dirt berms on either side during the run, you can see puffs of dirt. Those are from shooters who are shooting stages in bays on either side of this stage, quite possibly running and gunning just as much as our lucky shooter in the video (yes, lucky -- no one bled).

At a match, shooters will be grouped together in squads, which could have as many as 20 - 25 shooters (though not often). The squad moves through the match together. They arrive at a stage, are briefed on the stage, then each shooter shoots the stage until all have shot it, then they move on to the next stage together. Rinse and repeat.

After each shooter shoots the stage, he clears his gun, drops the hammer/striker, holsters the gun. Once the stage is safe, the other shooters go forward to reset the stage -- setting steel back up, resetting movers, and pasting the targets -- in preparation for the next shooter.

So -- the guy downrange was most likely part of a group that went forward to paste targets after the competitor who shot this stage before the video's shooter started. If it's like many matches I've been in, if this is later in the match it's quite possible that he was one of just a few who kept doing the chore of pasting the stage between shooters, while others sat on their duff and gabbed. It's also quite possible he was plugged and muffed, and heard the shooters in the adjacent bays, so he didn't notice he was on a hot stage.

This is all on the RO and scorekeeper. You can see the RO is behaving like little more than a spectator with a fancy watch. He's doofing along WELL behind the shooter watching the run (could be a high-profile shooter, even), and not taking his job seriously. He should be staying within reaching distance to stop the shooter at any time, in case an emergency arises. Even after he notices there's a dangerous situation, he eventually gets it through his head that he needs to stop the shooter, well AFTER the shooter has his 'HUH?' moment (not how I was going to describe it, but forum rules, etc.).

The RO should lose any RO certification permanently, as well as the SK, if he has one. Maybe he's in awe of being the RO running this shooter; it doesn't matter whether he was star-struck or complacent. He wasn't doing his job.

Member #
    Liked
    719 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin thunder View Post
    Yes, he should have done a visual once over, but as you can see, the fellow in the back setting up the next stage, is oblivious to the gunfire, right up to being shot towards. This tells me he's either deaf or he's wearing some really good ears.
    The Guy in the back is picking up brass, He's what is referred to around here as a range chicken because they look like chickens pecking around trying to get every piece of brass they can, theirs and everyone else's.
    Some clubs have rules against picking up brass during a match and require You to wait until after the match to retrieve Your brass and will DQ You for excessive violations.
    The RO should have cleared the bay before starting the next shooter and should be relieved of further RO duties as His negligence nearly got someone killed.
    230JHP likes this.
    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.
    -Patches O'Houlihan

Member #
    Liked
    6545 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jspdrcrmach5 View Post
    The Guy in the back is picking up brass, He's what is referred to around here as a range chicken because they look like chickens pecking around trying to get every piece of brass they can, theirs and everyone else's.
    Some clubs have rules against picking up brass during a match and require You to wait until after the match to retrieve Your brass and will DQ You for excessive violations.
    The RO should have cleared the bay before starting the next shooter and should be relieved of further RO duties as His negligence nearly got someone killed.
    After he spots the shooter coming the guy down range does duck, but before that he’s standing straight up in front of the target, and it looks like he’s pasting the holes from the previous shooter.

It’s a long stage, and if only a few people are pasting, it would be easy to think there’s been plenty of time to get it reset while they are still working.

But you’re right — I think his RO days should be over.
    Desperado likes this.

Sponsored Links