Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Police release body cam video in Ca Taco Bell parking lot shooting

Member #
    Liked
    3254 times

Police release body cam video in Ca Taco Bell parking lot shooting

https://www.newsweek.com/vallejo-cal...-mccoy-1381953

Police in Vallejo, California have now released body camera footage showing the shooting death of 20-year-old Willie McCoy, who was hit by a barrage of bullets while asleep in a Taco Bell drive-thru in February.

Six Vallejo Police officers shot and killed McCoy after Taco Bell employees reported he was unresponsive inside his car around 10:30 p.m. on February 9. Responding officers say they noticed a gun on his lap, blocked in his car and issued several voice commands to McCoy before he awoke. The body cam video released by the City of Vallejo last week shows McCoy moving his hand to scratch his side as several flashlights and guns are pointed at him through the driver's side window.

McCoy, who several friends and family described as an aspiring hip-hop artist, died at the scene and his family said officers left his body on the ground "like an animal carcass."

The official video release Friday from the City of Vallejo describes the lead-up to the Taco Bell drive-thru shooting: "Officers attempted to retrieve the gun from the driver's lap, quickly and without disturbing the driver. However, the door was locked. Officers attempted to secure the driver's car by placing a car in front and behind the driver to pin it in. While the second car was approaching to pin the car, the driver awoke. Officers directed the driver to hold his hands up and show his hands. The driver was not cooperative to the orders. The driver then reached down for his gun and officers fired at the driver. He was then pulled from the car and officers began immediate medical procedures to save his life. Those efforts were not successful and the driver died."

Police officers can be seen assessing the situation for a few minutes prior to the shooting as they discuss the firearm and make sure no other passengers are in the vehicle. "The magazine's out, so if he shoots, he's only got one shot," the officer holding the gun and flashlight to the window is heard saying. However, the subtitled official video release says the officer was mistaken, "In fact, the gun was loaded with an extended 14-round magazine extending past the grip."

"I'm thinking we snatch him out. I don't even want to give it a chance," one officer says. "I'm going to go in there, I'm going to grab that gun. I'll yank him out. If he reaches for it...Yup," the officers nods affirmatively.
    For the almost obvious family perspective

McCoy's older brother, Marc, told The Guardian there is little likelihood any justice would be served against the responding officers who shot and killed his younger brother.

“There’s a thousand videos on YouTube that show police misconduct," Marc McCoy said. "Whether it’s beatings of citizens or killing them -- it gets dismissed. The Vallejo police saw the video, and they don’t think there’s anything wrong with it or that the officers did anything criminal.”
    “There was no attempt to try to work out a peaceful solution,” McCoy continued, in an interview with The Guardian. “The police’s job is to arrest people who are breaking the law – not take the law into your own hands. You’re not judge, jury and executioner … We’re never going to get over this.”
    And speaking of those thousands of videos that allegedly show police misconduct, this snippet of video always happens with social media and video postings.

Video from another witness at the scene already posted to social media appeared to show the officers opening fire prior to offering any verbal warnings to the sleeping McCoy.
    Last edited by pegasus; 04-02-2019 at 09:45 AM. Reason: grammar error

Member #
    Liked
    3787 times
    I'm not going to get into whether this was a good shoot or bad shoot given the circumstances, I need a little further information at this point. However I will say though that this kid never had a chance in hell of coming out of this situation alive. Not a chance. He's passed out behind the wheel of his car, whether it be from exhaustion or alcohol or some other drug is irrelevant, point being no one, and I mean no one, goes from dead sleep/passed out to being able to perfectly comply with shouted commands in a nano second. Any action that didn't perfectly match with shouted orders would have been deemed as a threat, as a "he went for his gun", and thus would have turned into exactly what it did, an execution.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

Member #
    Liked
    1971 times
    All I know about this incident is what I've read here.

If that is the truth, send them back to work.

It is interesting that in a state that is so wrapped up in trying to prevent honest citizens from using guns, when one of those citizens is found with a gun in his lap and refusing to comply with police and is then shot, somehow it is the police who reacted inappropriately.

Just like the cops in Chicago ran away and let a suspect and drugs go back to the gangs, sooner or later cops in CA will walk away when someone reports a man with a gun. Maybe CA can pass a law that cops can only fire their guns after a copy has been hit with a bullet himself. With (supposedly) so many people contemplating suicide, maybe they can have a specific unit in the police force that is full of sacrificial shot-takers.
    Rickenbacher39 and Rossi like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20231 times
    Name:  proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  69.6 KB
    The Average American Now Complains More In A Week Than
    People Living Through The Black Plague Did Their Entire Lives

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    All I know about this incident is what I've read here.

If that is the truth, send them back to work.

It is interesting that in a state that is so wrapped up in trying to prevent honest citizens from using guns, when one of those citizens is found with a gun in his lap and refusing to comply with police and is then shot, somehow it is the police who reacted inappropriately.

Just like the cops in Chicago ran away and let a suspect and drugs go back to the gangs, sooner or later cops in CA will walk away when someone reports a man with a gun. Maybe CA can pass a law that cops can only fire their guns after a copy has been hit with a bullet himself. With (supposedly) so many people contemplating suicide, maybe they can have a specific unit in the police force that is full of sacrificial shot-takers.

i'm new here and i will probably get to hear a lot of flak from this but here goes. Looked like murder to me. I wonder if when they train the police if they are told that , "hay people may try to shoot at you", or if at any point they are told they "you cant just shoot anything that may or may not be a threat", or may be even "you know this is not Russia, you don't have to be a cop". being a cop is a special job, it is not right for everyone, it is a job that requires you to put yourself in danger, and by excepting this responsibility you have to be better than the criminal and not just shoot everything you see. i know that "they all want to go home to there family like everyone else", and i get it, but again they chose this profession, it was not forced on them. That so called criminal deserved to go home to his family also, even if he had passed out from drug use and had an "Illegal according to CA" which in itself goes against his second amendment right, but we wont get into that, i doubt he could see who was outside his car with the flash lights in his face, or if anyone really knows what he did when they started yelling at him. does any of this warrant his death? would not following anyone's direction warrant your death? or my death? i'm a grown man, if i don't want to follow anyone's direction does that warrant death? and again i know "Everyone just wants to go home to there family", well guess what if you cant handle the dangers of being a cop, maybe you should look into a different job, i hear Walmart is always hiring.

Member #
    Liked
    1971 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FatNinja View Post
    i'm new here and i will probably get to hear a lot of flak from this but here goes. Looked like murder to me. I wonder if when they train the police if they are told that , "hay people may try to shoot at you", or if at any point they are told they "you cant just shoot anything that may or may not be a threat", or may be even "you know this is not Russia, you don't have to be a cop". being a cop is a special job, it is not right for everyone, it is a job that requires you to put yourself in danger, and by excepting this responsibility you have to be better than the criminal and not just shoot everything you see. i know that "they all want to go home to there family like everyone else", and i get it, but again they chose this profession, it was not forced on them. That so called criminal deserved to go home to his family also, even if he had passed out from drug use and had an "Illegal according to CA" which in itself goes against his second amendment right, but we wont get into that, i doubt he could see who was outside his car with the flash lights in his face, or if anyone really knows what he did when they started yelling at him. does any of this warrant his death? would not following anyone's direction warrant your death? or my death? i'm a grown man, if i don't want to follow anyone's direction does that warrant death? and again i know "Everyone just wants to go home to there family", well guess what if you cant handle the dangers of being a cop, maybe you should look into a different job, i hear Walmart is always hiring.
    Hopefully you don't catch any flak. There's some pretty level headed people on this board, but every once in a while...

Sleeping in a car at Taco Bell doesn't warrant death. Neither does ignoring the cops, passing out, nor being high on drugs. Nothing he did warrants death.

However, his actions justify the use of deadly force. This is a textbook case ("this" being what was described above as I have no idea what happened other than what was described). If you present a deadly threat to anyone (cops are no different than any other citizen) the one presented with that threat is authorized by law to use deadly force. Of course laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. All too often people see this as some type of execution or murder, but it isn't. Either there is an agenda or just plain poor education, but anyone--including cops--have a right to defend themselves with deadly force (again, within the law). Cops, however, have much more opportunity to encounter deadly threats than the rest of us. I never have been confronted and assume I never will be--it is just statistically near zero.

I'm the last guy that would encourage a government to shoot my fellow citizens. However, I realize that those cops are sent out there by me and my fellow citizens to deal with the dregs of society. If those dregs respond with a threat of death or serious bodily harm, I will never fault them for responding with deadly force. In the past we never knew what "really" happened. Body cameras have helped to level the playing field and many of those who, in the past have objected, no longer have a leg to stand on.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    Hopefully you don't catch any flak. There's some pretty level headed people on this board, but every once in a while...

Sleeping in a car at Taco Bell doesn't warrant death. Neither does ignoring the cops, passing out, nor being high on drugs. Nothing he did warrants death.

However, his actions justify the use of deadly force. This is a textbook case ("this" being what was described above as I have no idea what happened other than what was described). If you present a deadly threat to anyone (cops are no different than any other citizen) the one presented with that threat is authorized by law to use deadly force. Of course laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. All too often people see this as some type of execution or murder, but it isn't. Either there is an agenda or just plain poor education, but anyone--including cops--have a right to defend themselves with deadly force (again, within the law). Cops, however, have much more opportunity to encounter deadly threats than the rest of us. I never have been confronted and assume I never will be--it is just statistically near zero.

I'm the last guy that would encourage a government to shoot my fellow citizens. However, I realize that those cops are sent out there by me and my fellow citizens to deal with the dregs of society. If those dregs respond with a threat of death or serious bodily harm, I will never fault them for responding with deadly force. In the past we never knew what "really" happened. Body cameras have helped to level the playing field and many of those who, in the past have objected, no longer have a leg to stand on.
    then in this situation i agree with you, anyone has the right to defend themselves and others around them from death or harm with deadly force. but from where i'm sitting and or viewing it did not look deadly. again i could be wrong, it does happen every now and then, hahahah. but really none of us were present, and i would say ALL body cam footage should be heavily reviewed and made public, imho, cause this could go either way.
    on a side note it is very refreshing to go on a forum, express an opinion different from others and not get a bunch of "flak" or banned, lol.
    DeltaBravoKS and Smokewagon like this.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute
    to the security of his community,
    is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Member #
    Liked
    6142 times
    I doubt if many of us could awake from a sleeping position and be very alert. They really did not give him a chance.

Member #
    Liked
    47261 times
    Looks like the cops had conflicting opinions of what they should do. I think opening the door and trying to snatch the gun was a bad idea. Startled, he'd probably start letting off a few rounds. Why didn't the cops stand behind him and give him loud verbal orders? He would have had to make a positive, aggressive move, in order to try and shoot them.
    But, I'm just sitting here armchair quarterbacking
    We the People...

Member #
    Liked
    3787 times
    Of course we're Monday Morning Armchair Quarterbacking this situation, just like we do all of these police shootings, just like they all should be. Good or bad, right or wrong, there is always something to be learned from them. The ones that pass muster and worked out they way the should have go on to be examples of the right way of doing things, and the ones that don't wind up that way can often force us, or others, to do better. In this case though it looks like the only option given to this guy was to play a game of Simon Says or Death from the passed out and now coming around position. How can that work out any other way than, well death? I don't blame the officers, given the situation and the parameters that were set up here, they had a very dangerous and very tricky situation, and once he started to stir, lean forward and his hands were no longer visible, he became a dire potential threat to them with only one option, that being stop the threat. Had a watch commander or some other person of rank given more thought to the situation, perhaps the best bet would have been to box his car in, call in a sharp shooter or two, get a bull horn, back the police officers away from the vehicle, and then give him a rude awakening allowing him a moment to gain his senses and either surrender and comply, or choose far less wisely with the same outcome. He wasn't going anywhere, and maybe he would have gotten a shot off if he raised the weapon, but that would have at least given him a chance to live out the evening and see a jail cell. As it was, you might as well just kill him when he was sleeping, fill out the paper work and call it a day because like I said, he had zero chance of getting out of that particular situation alive. I just don't see how anyone could go from passed out to perfectly complying with shouted commands.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links