AR15 bolt carrier question - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: AR15 bolt carrier question

Member #
    Liked
    19024 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyJoePHNX View Post
    to be frankly honest with you - it was fine. ive seen literally thousands worse than that. if the rifle was functioning fine I would not have worried about it.

any chance you've been shooting cheap steel cased corrosive ammo?

ive seen m16's shoot well beyond anything in your photo - including no gas rings and corroded and pitted chambers and bcg.
    Never steel cased ammo.

To me that surface is supposed to be smooth. There were 2 or 3 relatively deep divots in the surface and looked like more smaller ones forming. To me that product should not look like that. The gun is 7+ years old and has a round count above the typical civilian AR. If S&W examined the carrier and said the gun is old, it looks like it has had a lot of rounds through it and this part will wear like this over time then I could very well understand that. So far S&W does not appear to be balking at repairing/replacing the part. I'll know better when I get the gun back.

I can't address your military anecdotes. Thank you for your service.

Member #
    Liked
    19024 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    BTW, who made that BCG? I might want to stay away from them as that BCG does not appear to be up to MILSPEC.

Personally, I would call the manufacturer and tell them to send me one that is good and that you will send this one back to them for failure testing (I have forgotten some of these terms, but it is where they check the failure and trace the problem back to its source for correction). If they sound like they don't know about, or do failure testing, then try to get your money back because their QA is about non-existent.

Guess there were a lot of posts during the time I took to type this one and most of my questions have been answered. Still, that is not a problem I ever saw in my Infantry company. I saw other problems, like the front of the upper receiver being cracked on a brand new rifle, but the BCGs were generally good to go. LOL, if you were missing gas rings on the bolt, what was your armorer, and your squad leader and fire team leaders, inspecting at weapons turn-in? Grunt units run on small arms, and we took their maintenance and upkeep serious in the Infantry.
    Is the bolt carrier question to me GW70? If so the BC was the factory bolt that came in my beginner S&W Sport some 7+ years ago. I know it doesn't have the full auto cut but other than that what does not look milspec on it? Just curious.

I really can't complain about this rifle. Well either of them actually. I have 2 of the earlier Sport models. The one in for repairs is the very first version of the Sport when they were putting 1/8 twist barrels with 5R rifling in them. The 2nd one I have is when they first switched to the 1/9 twist rate and 6 groove(?) rifling. Both have been good rifles and have a lot of rounds through them. The one in for repair did recently go through 3 days of training classes and about 1700 rounds. Not bad for a 7+ year old rifle with an already fairly high round count.

The only other issue I have had with the 2 guns is one of them, forget which right now, had a hammer pin back out during a 3 gun match. Put the pin back in, put target pasters over the pin ends and finished the match! Of course I put some threaded pins in after that.

I can't complain, my S&W beginner rifles have been pretty darn good.

Plus I got I before the oblunder assault weapon ban!
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18374 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Quick update. I hadn't heard anything from S&W since receiving the RMA# on 4/13/19. So I emailed them this morning before leaving for work. It was only about 90 minutes before receiving this email response from them

Dear Darbo,
    I would be happy to assist you today. Your rifle is currently finishing the repair process and will be shipped back to you shortly. You will receive a tracking number from FedEx when it's on its way back to you.
    Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.
    Regards, Bubba

So far there has been no information given about what work has been done or parts replaced. So I am kind of anxious to find out about that. At this point I have no complaints about how the process has gone.

Names were changed to protect the innocent!
    Oh. Just noticed the date on this post (yesterday) and saw that S&W has had your Rifle for > 30 days. Looks like there was a lot of communication activity between mid March thru mid April but little since then. Hope you get your rifle back soon.

As an aside, I have no problem with just buying a replacement BCG (the nickel boron model discussed being at the top of my list) to keep on hand. But, I don’t shoot my AR near as often as you - and nearly everyone else ‘round these parts, for that matter - to consider sending in my rifle for repairs. We also have a couple of gunsmiths nearby, too, which is nice. Still looking forward to the reply to “S&W, you got some ‘splaining to do”.
    darbo likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10175 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Is the bolt carrier question to me GW70? If so the BC was the factory bolt that came in my beginner S&W Sport some 7+ years ago. I know it doesn't have the full auto cut but other than that what does not look milspec on it? Just curious.

I really can't complain about this rifle. Well either of them actually. I have 2 of the earlier Sport models. The one in for repairs is the very first version of the Sport when they were putting 1/8 twist barrels with 5R rifling in them. The 2nd one I have is when they first switched to the 1/9 twist rate and 6 groove(?) rifling. Both have been good rifles and have a lot of rounds through them. The one in for repair did recently go through 3 days of training classes and about 1700 rounds. Not bad for a 7+ year old rifle with an already fairly high round count.

The only other issue I have had with the 2 guns is one of them, forget which right now, had a hammer pin back out during a 3 gun match. Put the pin back in, put target pasters over the pin ends and finished the match! Of course I put some threaded pins in after that.

I can't complain, my S&W beginner rifles have been pretty darn good.

Plus I got I before the oblunder assault weapon ban!
    The answer had already been addressed. S&W BCG.
    darbo likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    19024 times
    Well this should be the last update. I got my rifle back today! yay!

I was dying to know what S&W had done with the rifle so I opened it and took a sneap peek at work. I do shipping/receiving so no big deal. Read the paperwork and it read "Evaluate/Repair Replace Bolt". I thought that was a little odd since the carrier was the issue and not the bolt. So I opened up the rifle and removed the BCG. Well it was great to see a complete new BCG! It really is funny to see how much wear was on my old BCG by how tight everything fit on the new piece!

So S&W received it on 4/9 but didn't officially acknowledge it until 4/13. I emailed them on 5/16 to inquire about progress and was told, that day, my rifle was currently finishing the repair process and I would get notification of shipment with tracking info. I received the gun today, 5/23. That's just shy of 6 weeks. Subtract travel days coming home and weekends, I think they did a pretty darn good job. I'm sure they are busy and understaffed like many work situations! Plus they do have an active recall on their AR15/22s so I'm sure they have plenty of work to do. I'm a happy boy and have no complaints.

Now I have to clean up and lube the new BCG, get the scope back on it and do some shooting this weekend!
    bigC and stupimlico like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10175 times
    Do you know how to check the gas rings for wear?

With an assembled BCG, pull the bolt all the way forward, then stand up the BCG on the bolt. If it collapses, replace the gas rings.
    darbo likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    19024 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    Do you know how to check the gas rings for wear?

With an assembled BCG, pull the bolt all the way forward, then stand up the BCG on the bolt. If it collapses, replace the gas rings.
    Thank you. Just in the last few days I saw this in a YouTube video. But I can't remember who it was. Now I'll have to check the other rifle!
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links