AR15 bolt carrier question - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: AR15 bolt carrier question

Member #
    Liked
    3261 times
    Keep us posted on this Darbo...I'm curious as to what S&W says.
    darbo likes this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    19590 times
    Update:
    I shipped on Friday, 4/5. Fedx Ground delivered midday Tue. 4/9. I received email this morning 12:34a.m, 4/13, acknowledging receipt of gun and issuing RMA #. That's only 1 week from shipment to getting an official response. Seems pretty good to me. Now the issue will be what they discover and decide to do with the gun.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31475 times
    This thread keeps reminding me that I need to buy another BCG. You never know when something like this might happen, or worse, political winds shift and you can no longer get parts for an AR.
    darbo, 158gr., jwc007 and 1 others like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    19590 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    This thread keeps reminding me that I need to buy another BCG. You never know when something like this might happen, or worse, political winds shift and you can no longer get parts for an AR.
    Go back to post #20 where I posted a link to Palmetto State Armory for the nickel boron BCG I bought from them on sale for $60! I think it's normally $80 or $90.
    texastaurusguy likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31475 times
    After I posted that, I went and looked and came upon the Palmetto Armory nickel plated BCG but it's like $85 with no shipping cost. Pretty dang good price, and I'll be ordering one shortly.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    569 times
    I have a nickel boron BCG from Palmetto. It's well made and easier to clean than the standard ones.
    rollin thunder, darbo and jwc007 like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Upon further inspection while cleaning today, I see the same type of "pitting" for lack of a better word starting on mine. I just checked PSA and the nickel boron BCG is currently $89.99 but out of stock. I will be ordering a replacement and a backup as soon as they are back in stock.
    darbo likes this.
    Let not my last thought be, if only I had a gun, and lord, if today is the day you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass!

Taurus G2C, Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger LCP 380, PSA AR-15 223 Wylde, PSA AR-15 .22LR, Savage Axis 223

Member #
    Liked
    19590 times
    Quick update. I hadn't heard anything from S&W since receiving the RMA# on 4/13/19. So I emailed them this morning before leaving for work. It was only about 90 minutes before receiving this email response from them

Dear Darbo,
    I would be happy to assist you today. Your rifle is currently finishing the repair process and will be shipped back to you shortly. You will receive a tracking number from FedEx when it's on its way back to you.
    Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.
    Regards, Bubba

So far there has been no information given about what work has been done or parts replaced. So I am kind of anxious to find out about that. At this point I have no complaints about how the process has gone.

Names were changed to protect the innocent!

Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    to be frankly honest with you - it was fine. ive seen literally thousands worse than that. if the rifle was functioning fine I would not have worried about it.

any chance you've been shooting cheap steel cased corrosive ammo?

ive seen m16's shoot well beyond anything in your photo - including no gas rings and corroded and pitted chambers and bcg.
    darbo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11010 times
    BTW, who made that BCG? I might want to stay away from them as that BCG does not appear to be up to MILSPEC.

Personally, I would call the manufacturer and tell them to send me one that is good and that you will send this one back to them for failure testing (I have forgotten some of these terms, but it is where they check the failure and trace the problem back to its source for correction). If they sound like they don't know about, or do failure testing, then try to get your money back because their QA is about non-existent.

Guess there were a lot of posts during the time I took to type this one and most of my questions have been answered. Still, that is not a problem I ever saw in my Infantry company. I saw other problems, like the front of the upper receiver being cracked on a brand new rifle, but the BCGs were generally good to go. LOL, if you were missing gas rings on the bolt, what was your armorer, and your squad leader and fire team leaders, inspecting at weapons turn-in? Grunt units run on small arms, and we took their maintenance and upkeep serious in the Infantry.
    Last edited by GreenWolf70; 05-17-2019 at 09:10 AM.
    Czechbikr, darbo and Car_Doc like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links