Pistol AR's - Page 14
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree285Likes

Thread: Pistol AR's

Member #
    Liked
    9880 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    well took the Ar pistol back to the range, had a box of Remington factory 220 grain open point sub sonic, and 100 rounds of Hornady A-max reloads.
    I am still some what surprised at the accuracy of this lil 7.5 inch gun, especially with my old eyes and no magnification. I am using a Halographic sight.
    anyway it seems the magic number for function 100% is 208 grain A -max at 2.225 OAL, 11.5 grains of Accurate 1680.
    seems to be sub sonic as its as quiet if not more than the remington factory loads.
    1) 11.5 gr 1680-2.225 oal -accuracy was great out to 25 yards, function was perfect.
    2) 10.3 gr of 1680-2.095 OAL-- gun would not cycle, closed on an empty chamber every time, accuracy was very good..
    3) Remington 220 gr factory-functioned but would not lock bolt open on empty magazine-accuracy was very good..
    shot 120 rounds total, even the laser printed in the 10 ring of a silhouette at 25 yards.
    all projectiles appeared to be stabilized.
    heres the target.
    all are 20 round groups.
    top left-10.3 grain loads
    top right -Remington 220 grain sub sonic loads.
    Center bottom- 11.5 grain 1680 loads.
    for now thats all the testing for a few weeks , then will get back at it and choose a plinker round.
    LOL, Told ya!
    Yissnakk and olfarhors like this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    25636 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oso View Post
    What is this factory ammo that you speak of ? I load every caliber except for rimfire.
    as do I, but as I do not have a chrony and I wanted to test a factory round both for function (the old raniers don't work had me second guessing) and I wanted to compare a factory Sub sonic to what I assume my sub sonic reloads are.
    at the end of the day the remmies and the A max fed through this baby like butter.
    the remmy subs would NOT lock the bolt open on the last round however.
    5 rounds per mag to test the function.
    plus I made out like a fat rat, I got 20 more rounds of once fired 300 BO brass, and there was another Savage black rifle there shooting his carbine 300 and let me have his brass, once fired (by him that day) of I think it was 46 cases that I picked up.
    GreenWolf70, Yissnakk and oso like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    25636 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    The question you need to answer is how far away will you possibly want to shoot? If you are going to keep it under 25 yds, then no reason not to go for the 9mm. If you want to have the option of 100+ yds, then definitely go .300BLK. 9mm would be cheaper to shoot if you are buying factory ammo but the price is about the same if you reload.
    well I guess MY thing is
    1) the 300 BO even at sub sonic is a lot more energy than the 9 MM I think, certainly less likely to penetrate through a body and several walls?
    2) its got to be a hell of a lot easier on the ear drums if you must use it without ear protection?
    now I guess if you use a 9 MM with a silencer then things are different?
    my last range trip was kind of educational as there were 2 others there right next to me with AR.
    one was a 9 MM pistol length (10.5) the other was a 556 full length, and they were waaay more loud and flash than my 300 was.
    you can read and listen to the talk about these but when you are right there and can be part of it you realize the difference.
    no doubt factory ammo in 9 MM is going to be the cheapest, I think you can pick 9 MM ammo up now for about 9 bucks per box of 50?
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7384 times
    as do I, but as I do not have a chrony and I wanted to test a factory round both for function (the old raniers don't work had me second guessing) and I wanted to compare a factory Sub sonic to what I assume my sub sonic reloads are.
    at the end of the day the remmies and the A max fed through this baby like butter.
    the remmy subs would NOT lock the bolt open on the last round however.
    5 rounds per mag to test the function.
    plus I made out like a fat rat, I got 20 more rounds of once fired 300 BO brass, and there was another Savage black rifle there shooting his carbine 300 and let me have his brass, once fired (by him that day) of I think it was 46 cases that I picked up.
    Have you thought about converting .223 to .300 BLK? It's really dirt simple and actually saves a bunch of $$ if you don't have a ready source of .300BLK brass.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    25636 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oso View Post
    You guy are a bunch of damn pushers to an addict. Never thought about ab AR pistol, now it's just what caliber do I want and what barrel length. I can't decide between 9mm or 300 BLK.

Be strong my friend--all these guys are enablers--don't listen to them!
    I don't know why people want to do that?
    oso likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    25636 times
    Have you thought about converting .223 to .300 BLK? It's really dirt simple and actually saves a bunch of $$ if you don't have a ready source of .300BLK brass.
    Well I do have a nice assortment of drill bits in various sizes and lengths!!
    Yissnakk likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7384 times
    Well I do have a nice assortment of drill bits in various sizes and lengths!!
    No bits necessary. Just a quantity of Lake City .223/5.56 brass, a small and cheap hobby cutoff saw, and .300 BLK dies - which dies do you currently have, btw?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7384 times
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    25636 times
    No bits necessary. Just a quantity of Lake City .223/5.56 brass, a small and cheap hobby cutoff saw, and .300 BLK dies - which dies do you currently have, btw?
    Lee Dies--I have around 320-350 or so pieces of 300 BO brass right now.
    all once fired.
    Its not super unusual to find once fired 300 BO brass laying in the range floor here recently--the caliber is obviously catching on.
    most is marked 300 BO too.
    at the point shortly that I will need to resize/deprime and clean as I am down to about 50-60 fresh cases, the rest Is dirty.
    Yissnakk likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7384 times
    Lee Dies--I have around 320-350 or so pieces of 300 BO brass right now.
    all once fired.
    Its not super unusual to find once fired 300 BO brass laying in the range floor here recently--the caliber is obviously catching on.
    most is marked 300 BO too.
    at the point shortly that I will need to resize/deprime and clean as I am down to about 50-60 fresh cases, the rest Is dirty.
    You live in a lucky location. I've only found one single .300 BLK case at our local range, and when I started reloading for it, once fired was scarce and nowhere near as cheap as once fired .223 brass.

Also, there's some noise that the Lee dies don't do a good job of converting but just as many reports that they work just fine. I ended up with both Lee and RCBS SB dies. Was having some chambering issues...then learned that Wolf brass, in particular, is in no way suited for use as the case walls are just too thick, making the cartridge neck too large when loaded. Pretty much all domestic .223 brass works fine but brass from outside the US, not so much...
    GreenWolf70 and olfarhors like this.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links