Shipping Laws - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Shipping Laws

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Shipping Laws

Great information Pierce, I didn't even think of someone within the shipping company getting a hold of the firearm; good point!

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

And not everyone who works there understands about firearms. I just remembered a story a friend told one time (he works as a manager with a larger truck shipping company). They had a pallet with, I think it was FAL, build kits but they did not contain a receiver just everything else. The dock workers didn't want to ship the pallet as they thought it contained actual firearms, not just parts (trying to follow regs). My friend had to open the pallet and one of the kits to roughly assemble the thing so that they could see that it was not a complete firearm. They then boxed the whole thing back up and sent it on its way.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Steelheart
    And not everyone who works there understands about firearms.
    That is so true. When my PT1911 was "lost" by DHL, I talked with two managers who insisted that DHL doesn't ship firearms. When I kindly explained to them that their printed company rule is that they will, and do, ship firearms domestically they were surprised... and educated!

UPS was sooooo much better when I shipped my gun. When I told the staff I was shipping a gun they knew exactly what to do and understood their corporate policy well.

I know I will never ship via DHL again! lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I emailed an inquiry to the State Police, about any particular laws Virginia may have in regards to shipping a handgun. They replied in less than 24 hours. They pretty much deferred to the ATF regs. Here is the reply:

Dear Sir,

The shipment of firearms is governed by federal law. The following may be of assistance:

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3),

http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pu...3004/index.htm

Sincerely,

**********, Manager
    Firearms Transaction Center
    Virginia Department of State Police
    Tel: (804) ********
    Fax: (804) ********
    ********@vsp.virginia.gov

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Shipped a handgun yesterday for the 1st time. Went to the local UPS depot, the lady was helpful and courteous, asked to see copy of the FFL - which I had - of course.

No problem except for the cost.

$55 1 Day Saver shipping, included insurance for $500. Was charged for 6 lbs (could have shipped 2-3 for the same cost!). I was told at a local gun shop that they can ship much cheaper via USPS, of course they have an additional fee, but if it costs the same or less it may be well worth it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I shipped "machine parts" back to Keltec the other day for $7.90.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Also, if you were to disassemble a pistol, some parts could be sent as normal freight, but you will have or 2 parts that are considered the same as a 'whole' pistol. I'd have to review the regulations again (I have only shipped whole guns), but I think that anything with the serial number stamped on it is considered the same as the 'whole firearm'. Anyone can feel free to correct me on this. Also, firearms must be signed for by an adult, which is typically an additional charge.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Not everything with a serial number is considered a 'whole firearm'. I do alot in mil-surp weapons, on some of the mil-surps the country would stamp many different parts with the serial number. I think the reasoning was to verify the age of the parts and what weapon they belonged to. For some of the older weapons the mag was stamped on the bottom. I called TX DPS on this and was told that item could go the machine parts route and I wouldn't get into trouble for it. The parts that they usually worry about the most are the 'slide' and the body of the weapon.

Edit: a silencer is considered a firearm by the ATF.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

If you want to mail through the Postal Service here's the guidelines that's in the Domestic Mail Manual.
    http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm#wp1065406
    Bill

Raging Bull 454 Casull
    PT 1911 45 ACP
    Tracker 450 45 Colt
    Tracker 627 357 Mag
    PT 100 40 S&W
    PT 24/7 PRO 40 S&W
    PT 22 22lr
    Model 62 Rifle 22lr

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

By federal law the "frame" is the firearm. The other pieces, slide, barrel are just that, parts. So, though it makes little difference, you could make two shipments. One with the heavier items (barrel and slide) that are not regulated and the other with the frame that is a "gun".

My experience (3 times) with the local UPS is has been indifference. Maybe because the clerk's first language wasn't the same as mine. I never put "GUN" on the paperwork, but "firearm". Yes is small, but legible letters. In all three cases, including 2 handguns, the clerk just processed it like any other next day overnight with adult signature required. No questions were asked.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links