Health and performance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Health and performance

Member #
    Liked
    35860 times

Health and performance

Went to the range today and for the first time in a long, long time, I did well.
    My final target (B29 at 50') was a 299-22x shot with a brand new Beretta PX4 Storm and Aguilla 115 gr. FMJ ammo.

So here's what gets me: I recently was diagnosed as diabetic and I have started taking drugs for it and about a week ago I started seeing my glucose levels drop and stabilize. I can't help but wonder: was hyperglycemia was screwing with my performance?
    The scientific literature is equivocal on it, but most research into athletic performance and diabetes has concentrated on gross measurements like endurance and time over distance. Shooting performance is a matter of precision; the result of minute differences in the ability to see and to remain still, to control breathing and small motor skills as well as large motor function. I suspect that shooting scores are far more sensitive to health issues and might very well serve as a sensitive measure of our health.

Not much chance of getting the medical community to research this, I'm afraid.
    darbo, silverstring and trooperc7 like this.
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

Member #
    Liked
    2279 times
    As my glucose level escalates, my vision becomes worse and I tend to shake a bit. I normally eat a very low carb breakfast before shooting, and stick with just two cups of coffee. YMMV

Member #
    Liked
    35860 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
    As my glucose level escalates, my vision becomes worse and I tend to shake a bit. I normally eat a very low carb breakfast before shooting, and stick with just two cups of coffee. YMMV
    From what I've been able to garner from the literature, and from my ophthalmologist, vision doesn't change until sugar levels rise higher than I have been seeing. (Although I am at higher risk for retinal detachment.) The worst readings I've seen since I started monitoring (about 3 months before I started the drugs) were below 160. Today, when I got home from the range (after washing my hands really well ) my BGL was 105, I plan on creating a spread sheet and try to graph shooting score vs. BGL. If you would be interested in doing something similar I would be happy to share a template for the spreadsheet (when I finish it).
    Keeper of The Pledge

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    16420 times
    I can attest it messes with one's sense of balance.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.- George Bernard Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    35860 times
    Quote Originally Posted by whichfinger View Post
    I can attest it messes with one's sense of balance.
    I know you don't have a lot of flat water out there, but I find that an inflatable paddle board does wonders for your balance. It's like physical therapy that's fun.
    whichfinger likes this.
    Keeper of The Pledge

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

Member #
    Liked
    16420 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MadKaw View Post
    I know you don't have a lot of flat water out there, but I find that an inflatable paddle board does wonders for your balance. It's like physical therapy that's fun.
    We have a surprising amount of flat water around here (Northern I-25 corridor), mostly in the form of reservoirs, most of which are private. The larger ones generally allow fishing and boating but the smaller ones are off-limits. Paddle boards? Pffft. I have trouble remaining vertical on a floating dock.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.- George Bernard Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    35860 times
    Quote Originally Posted by whichfinger View Post
    We have a surprising amount of flat water around here (Northern I-25 corridor), mostly in the form of reservoirs, most of which are private. The larger ones generally allow fishing and boating but the smaller ones are off-limits. Paddle boards? Pffft. I have trouble remaining vertical on a floating dock.
    Exactly! Seriously, it's like physical therapy that winds up being fun. It took me a while to get to the point where I could stand for more than a few seconds, but it wound up being well worth it.

Now Otter is nagging me to deflate it and put it away. The water is too hard for paddling.
    whichfinger likes this.
    Keeper of The Pledge

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    I will have to give that a try see if my balence will improve.

Member #
    Liked
    145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MadKaw View Post
    From what I've been able to garner from the literature, and from my ophthalmologist, vision doesn't change until sugar levels rise higher than I have been seeing. (Although I am at higher risk for retinal detachment.) The worst readings I've seen since I started monitoring (about 3 months before I started the drugs) were below 160. Today, when I got home from the range (after washing my hands really well ) my BGL was 105, I plan on creating a spread sheet and try to graph shooting score vs. BGL. If you would be interested in doing something similar I would be happy to share a template for the spreadsheet (when I finish it).
    I am interested in the spread sheet. Thanks
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

Member #
    Liked
    21996 times
    The firearm and the ammunition are just 2 parts of the equation. The third is the shooter. We maintain our firearms to get them to run with precision. we pick ammo that shoots the best from that platform. When you've perfected those aspects, you're still left with the weakest part of that equation; the person pulling the trigger. If we put in a third of the effort into the shooter that we do into the equipment, our shooting scores would increase exponentially. I learned that years ago when shooting competitively. The skill of shooting comes from the person. to maximize the skill, you develop the body and maintain its health.
    olfarhors likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links