Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Who went shooting today?

119K views 1K replies 206 participants last post by  william 
#1 · (Edited)
I did. :)

Took the new ATI 1911 and the Ruger Security-Six. About a hundred rounds through each.

Security-Six has always been a tack driver. First handgun I ever bought. Bought it new couple weeks after my twenty-first birthday back in 198...... well, a long time ago.

Two hundred rounds through the ATI at this point. Getting better with it. It's much more accurate than I am at this point. Need some more time with it. Had the first bobble today. Failed to fully chamber a round. This was using SIG Elite Performance 230gr. FMJ. All the cheap Armscor and Estate brand stuff I've tried has performed perfectly.

It's always a good day shooting. Except for the time I had a squib the the first cylinder of my Security-Six. Had nothing to get the bullet out of the barrel with. That was the one gun I took that day so I was done for the day. I keep a dowel with me now.

All the Best,
D. White

#1,343 ·
Since the weather was spring like today I did a lot of shooting. None of it was self defense related practice, I can do that after the upcoming surgery. No, this was just fun plinking with a .22 pistol and rifle. I didn't even have to buy the 22lr ammo either, it was ammo I inherited, and shooting it was I believe what my relative wanted me to do with it, instead of just let it sitting on a shelf.

#1,344 ·
I got to the range today to sight in a Ruger American Gen2 in .308 and the Gen 2 Ranch version in .450 Bushmaster. I also put a 1-4x24 30mm scope on one of my Ruger Mini-14 and sighted that in and double checked the zero on my Bushmaster AR that wears a Leupold 2.5X scope. It was a really nice day for it with plenty of sunshine and temps hitting 60.

Reactions: pegasus
#1,345 ·
Took my TX22, TH9, and G2C to the range. As usual, the TX22 and TH9 ran perfectly. Love those two guns.

As for the G2C, I was able to put a grand total of nine rounds through it before the recoil spring assembly poked through the front of the slide about an inch.😵 Upon closer inspection, the slide has a hairline crack above and below the guide rod hole. I shipped it back to Taurus yesterday, for the third time in five months. It has become my "gun from hell."

#1,346 ·
Took my TX22, TH9, and G2C to the range. As usual, the TX22 and TH9 ran perfectly. Love those two guns.

As for the G2C, I was able to put a grand total of nine rounds through it before the recoil spring assembly poked through the front of the slide about an inch.😵 Upon closer inspection, the slide has a hairline crack above and below the guide rod hole. I shipped it back to Taurus yesterday, for the third time in five months. It has become my "gun from hell."
Any gun you can't trust is useless or worse, a liability waiting to happen.

Reactions: pegasus and MnF
#1,351 ·
I went yesterday. Took the XD9. Bought this late last year. More I shoot it the more I like it.

Ran about 120 rounds through it.

I've been loading a LOT of ammo lately trying to finish a pound of Unique I had.
It's all now neatly packaged in little brass containers.

It's a great powder. It's difficult to measure accurately though. Next up is a pound of
PowerPistol I've had for a few years. Then the BE-86. I have four pounds of ZIP a
friend gave me last year. That'll take a while.

Reactions: BigBlue and pegasus
#1,352 ·
Woo hoo! I got out today, trip to the barber for a clip and range time in too. Half price for former military and first responders. Nine bucks is a bargain.

Took the PT 1911, Smith Shield 45, CZ 83 and the Sidekick. Since I was dispensing.380 I also unlimbered the TCP from the pocket and sent some through it too. It needed cleaning anyway

Brought the Evil Black Rifle also as it's been a long time away in the safe. The first omen was that the battery in the optic was dead which I had figured and had a new one in the bag. Swapped that and it still didn't light up. Oh well, still had the cross hairs.

Slapped in a thirty round mag and released the bolt and it didn't seat the round totally. Rifle locked up, forward assist no help. Dropped the magazine and the charging handle still frozen. Looked for my screwdriver, used the Kershaw to give the bolt a nudge prying it back. The round looks normal and I was going to try another, then wondered if there was something in the chamber blocking it. Didn't have a rod so took chamber flag to probe it and it seemed to get hung up. That ended the AR outing, when I got home and the barrel is clear.

I've got the round that hung up and will plunk it and try it in my gauge.

Good day besides the lack of the long gun.

#1,356 ·
I was at a friends ranch a couple of weeks ago and patterned my Mossberg .410 Shockwave with 5 pellet 0000 buckshot.

I had previously patterned it with 5 pellet 000 buck, and at 20 yards, all five pellets would just barely cover a sheet of copy paper.

At the ranch, I was really surprised with the 0000. At 40 yards, it just had a spread of 7inches, making the shockwave a 40 yard gun instead of a 20 yard gun.

Reactions: BigBlue
#1,358 ·
I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful afternoon/evening to get to the pit and put some rounds through the S&W model 13-1, such a sweet shooting pistol.
And it's obvious that my young neighbor thinks it's cool too, here's his first two 6 shot groups, he only missed one round, and he also digs the speed loaders. :D
Wood Wall Gas Landscape Road surface

This is now on my go to load for .357, I'm gonna load the 500 Nosler HP's with this recipe.
5.9g TiteGroup, CCI 550 SPMP, Nosler 158g HP's OAL: 1.580+/-
Another load that I had made up for the 160g lead coated bullets made by our own Mr. @agingstudent. It shot so well and as accurate as the Nosler HP's.
5g TiteGroup, S&B SPP's, 160g lead coated bullets & OAL: 1.585+/-

I also took my nightstand gun, a full size XDM9 with a TRL3 light to put more rounds through it to prove it worthy of future EDC gun. It’s proving it’s worth.

Attachments

#1,359 ·
Went out yesterday. Only fired 101 rounds of my reloads in my Glock 19. Nice to get back home, and only have one firearm to clean.
Ammo shot great and after 101 rounds of coated Missouri Bullet Company‘s 115gr lead, the barrel looked as good as if these had all been jacketed.

#1,360 ·
... Ammo shot great and after 101 rounds of coated Missouri Bullet Company‘s 115gr lead, the barrel looked as good as if these had all been jacketed.
There is a lot to like about M B C coated bullets!