Has anyone ever actually hunted (deer) using Barnes XTP or Trippleshock bullets?
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Wolf1477
  • 1 Post By Yissnakk
  • 1 Post By oso
  • 1 Post By Wolf1477
  • 1 Post By .452dia
  • 2 Post By shiftace
  • 1 Post By Yissnakk

Thread: Has anyone ever actually hunted (deer) using Barnes XTP or Trippleshock bullets?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7832 times

Has anyone ever actually hunted (deer) using Barnes XTP or Trippleshock bullets?

Just wondering. I wasn't sure if this should go here or under one of the Ammunition topics, but I'm really looking for experience with the rounds. Doubletap makes ammo using Barnes full copper tripleshock bullets and I was really thinking of using them this season, but have not ever used them. Was curious about personal experience with accuracy and performance.

I'll probably be using my SKS Bullpuppy since it's already pretty accurate with Tula ammo.

(I haven't worked up a good plinking load for it yet)
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    17645 times
    I use the XTPs in black powder and in my .45, haven't tried 'em in a rifle round. They are very accurate in the lower velocity applications.

I don't think I'd be likely to use 'em in a high velocity considering the damage they seem to do, unless you want to clean your deer while you shoot it
    Yissnakk likes this.

Ok guys, very funny, bring back the Constitution now...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

"Ignorance and arrogance are a lethal combination. Nowhere do we see that more clearly among writers and performers who pontificate as historians when they know nothing about history." -- Victor Davis Hanson

"It's your life, rise up and live it" -- Terry Goodkind

Member #
    Liked
    810 times
    I tried them in my Marlin 336w at 100yds and I got a 4-5 inch pattern on 5 rounds so I went back to winchester super x 150 grain
    Yea my first name is Marlin
    EAA Windicater 2inch .357
    Taurus M605 38/357
    Sif P290 .9mm
    Marlin 336w 30-30
    Marlin 60n .22lr
    Tristar .20 gauge semi-auto
    CVA Wolf 209 Magnum .50 Black Powder
    NRA Member

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. Thomas Paine

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7832 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf1477 View Post
    I use the XTPs in black powder and in my .45, haven't tried 'em in a rifle round. They are very accurate in the lower velocity applications.

I don't think I'd be likely to use 'em in a high velocity considering the damage they seem to do, unless you want to clean your deer while you shoot it
    Well, I do want the deer to pretty much drop in place :-)

Plus, I saw an Xray of a deer that was shot last year with a standard softpoint round and there was lead peppered all through the deer. That is the primary interest in the Barnes bullets.

Thanks for the replies!
    Last edited by Yissnakk; 10-19-2016 at 05:55 AM.
    kschilk likes this.

oso
    Member #
    Liked
    1692 times
    Yes I load 300 gr. XTP JHP for my 45-70, drops deer in their tracks. I push that bullet at 2051 FPS out of my Henry H010.
    Yissnakk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    17645 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Yissnakk View Post
    Well, I do want the dear to pretty much drop in place :-)

Plus, I saw an Xray of a deer that was shot last year with a standard softpoint round and there was lead peppered all through the deer. That is the primary interest in the Barnes bullets.

Thanks for the replies!

Ahh, yep, my standard load is a handloaded Hornady SST in .270

I call it my DRT round, doesn't explode all over like the soft CoreLokts, but expands like nobodies' business.
    Yissnakk likes this.

Ok guys, very funny, bring back the Constitution now...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

"Ignorance and arrogance are a lethal combination. Nowhere do we see that more clearly among writers and performers who pontificate as historians when they know nothing about history." -- Victor Davis Hanson

"It's your life, rise up and live it" -- Terry Goodkind

Member #
    Liked
    7279 times
    I bought 500 .308, 130 gn Barnes X Bullet when they discontinued them for the newer version. These bullet have worked extremely well in my Mod 70 Featherweight in 308 on deer size game.
    Yissnakk likes this.
    NC DCJTSD Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Member #
    Liked
    7964 times
    I am sold on the Hornady American Whitetail stuff. I tried the Winchester 243 powerlokt (?) stuff. Unimpressed. Lost one deer, and the other needed a second headshot to finish the business.

Shot two with the Hornady last year. Both pretty much expired within seconds and feet of being struck. This in a 7mm-08 at less than 50 yards.

in the caliber you are looking at .. I think the SST, another fine round, would be the way to go.
    Yissnakk and Wolf1477 like this.
    A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul - G.B. Shaw

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7832 times
    I think I'll order a box of both. (SST and DoubleTap). Wife evicted me from my reloading roost and converted it into a home office which essentially chased me back out to the garage. This necessitates a mighty constructing of a closed off and insulated section of the garage in the vicinity of my work benches and "old" reloading station so I won't freeze over the winter. Unfortunately, I will be running very short on time to work up a proper hunting load before Nov. 12th!

I kinda wanted to take my AK out once I get the Magpul furniture on it for weight, but I think that the SKS is probably more accurate and the bullpuppy may actually weigh less...
    Wolf1477 likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links