Exploding knife ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Exploding knife ?

Member #
    Liked
    6504 times
    If used a jury would have a field day with that.

Member #
    Liked
    9171 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aquajim View Post
    I bet it is to fight off sharks.
    It is a dive knife for aggressive sharks (and agressive door to door salesmen)
    I believe in gun control! Starting with a firm 2 handed grip....

Member #
    Liked
    3912 times
    Watched the ballistics gel version. LMAO!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3961 times
    Pretty sure this is based off a defensive weapon designed to protect against sharks. I remember seeing it back in the 80's. Think bang stick, but with a blade and compressed air at the dangerous end. They even had it in a horror movie called Deep Star Six. It would indeed make a horrific wound and do things internally that would almost certainly lead to death due to massive damage of organs, major arteries and blood vessels. I'm guessing this would be frowned upon in the extreme as a personal weapon choice.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

Member #
    Liked
    18403 times

Obama: AK-47s are for soldiers.
    Arwine: MAK-90s are for civilians.

This world would be a much better place if people would mind their own business.
    -Me

Member #
    Liked
    32010 times
    Here I was, thinking this was simply the dumbest POS I've ever seen, until I watched the ballistic gel video. Now I get it.

It's a fart knife!

Here I sit all broken hearted
    First he stabbed me, then I farted.
    gbusmech likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16901 times
    Didn't Roger Moore use that in a James Bond movie decades ago?
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    17611 times
    personally if i were a diver i would rather have that co2 injection first from a 4 cartridge system that swaps as you stab, and 2nd, on a nice long pointy stick, not a little knife that is on the end of my hand that the shark just ate.....
    gbusmech likes this.
    "Let's get on our knees and pray. I don't know to whom. Is there a patron saint of ballistics?"-Adam Savage
    Its never wrong, it just hasn't been fixed right yet. -TSH

If Guns Kill People. I guess Pencils misspell words, Cars drive drunk & Spoons make people fat.....

Member #
    Liked
    2099 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aquajim View Post
    I bet it is to fight off sharks.
    You're right, it is; that's what it was always designed for although that hasn't prevented folks from considering other applications.

It isn't anything new at all, been around for at least a decade as the WASP knife, and even longer than that as a concept in production.

It has also been accepted pretty widely and works as advertised... without a doubt there are close-contact encounters with sharks where the knife could prove useful, especially where researchers are filming habits and the like, and sharks suddenly become aggressive.

And the knife itself is legitimately a pretty well-made, capable, 440C blade; but even as an amateur knife collector I haven't been compelled to get one... primarily because of the cost. There are just too many knives available at that price and less that precede it on my list.

There's a review on the WASP site from a knife mag editor and engineer who has collaborated on designs with Randall/ESEE and TOPS knives... http://www.waspknife.com/tactical_knives_0109.pdf

Victoria Faveat Paratam
    Ethos Anthropos Daimon
    4510MAG61773874084585

Member #
    Liked
    2099 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 53rdcard View Post
    personally if i were a diver i would rather have that co2 injection first from a 4 cartridge system that swaps as you stab, and 2nd, on a nice long pointy stick, not a little knife that is on the end of my hand that the shark just ate.....
    Pretty sure it's a last-ditch life-saver type of item, much like an EDC knife or backup pistol would be.

Divers routinely dive with much less protection than that, maybe just an average dive knife, if that; but if you're going into an environment that you know in advance is populated by dangerous predators, taking this as an addition to your other defensive tools isn't a bad idea... I've seen plenty of underwater vids of sharks just pushing divers around in investigation, just out of curiosity, prior to actually attacking.

It has also been considered for bear attacks. There have been instances of attacks on people where they've been taken to the ground, but did manage to fend off bears with knives. Gene Moe fought off a 750 lb. Kodiak with a Buck 110 folder after being ambushed and attacked in Alaska back in 1999; he got mauled pretty good, but the knife wounds to the bear got it off him long enough to retrieve his rifle and kill it... think he was like 68 years old and he lived through it. This WASP knife probably would have come in handy, especially if he hadn't had his gun and was just a hiker rather than a hunter.

Downing the Killer Bear: An Alaskan Huntsman's Tale
    The Six Most Badass Bear Attack Survival Stories | affotd
    10 Of The Worst Animal Attacks Ever? But They Lived! #6 | News, Facts & Other Information You Love - UncoverDiscover.com

Victoria Faveat Paratam
    Ethos Anthropos Daimon
    4510MAG61773874084585

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links