Looking for Advice from FFL holders - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Looking for Advice from FFL holders

Member #
    Liked
    2598 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MadKaw View Post
    If someone is delayed or denied the FFL is required to give the customer a form explaining the appeals process and a copy of their NTN.
    No problem, then the FFL can just blame the system for making the mistake.
    Brian

"Resistance is never futile" - Me

Member #
    Liked
    36216 times
    I have tried to be very laid back and just listen to the discussion because I am sincerely trying to figure out something that I find difficult.

There is one theme, however, that I feel I must comment on because some of you are flat wrong. If you think you can predict how an abused person will react or what they would say you are wrong. You are basing your idea on how you think you would react.

I work with a local shelter which, in addition to running a physical building where people suffering abuse can be housed, also puts people into situations where they can truly hide; where nobody knows where they are. The only records are doubly encrypted and the keys is kept offsite in separate locations.(That's my contribution.) That is the level of care that has to sometimes be taken to keep an abuser and their victim apart. There have been a couple of cases locally where someone who thought they could hide without skilled help were found and tortured.

But the reason you are wrong is that long term abuse creates a mental state very similar to borderline personality disorder. (It may be BPD but I am not competent to make that judgement.) If you have ever lived with an individual with BPD you would realize that a sane version of logic stands no chance of predicting the behavior of someone with BPD. Would a victim say something likely to set off their abuser? I have no idea, and neither do you. It depends on the victim; the abuser; the relationship; and probably the phase of the moon.

Those of you who have never dealt with abuse from either side … consider yourself very very lucky. It is not always as easy to get yourself out of as a sane person would think.

Enough of a rant. I do actually appreciate those of you on either side of this discussion. Any time you see only one side, you have no doubt that you are right. And I have been deeply troubled by this situation. I believe in individual rights. I believe in the [competent] individual's right to determine their own destiny. I am also deeply committed to protecting those who are unable to protect themselves. And I recognize the difficulty of determining the differences. That is why this is difficult.

Anyway, let me take this remarkably appropriate opportunity to wish all of you a peaceful and safe Chanukah and Christmas. Please pray for those both here and abroad whose holidays will be neither peaceful nor safe.
    Keeper of The Pledge

GCS d? s+: a+++ C++ UL++++ P+ L++ E W++ N++ o+ K- w
    O M-- V-- PS+++ PE++ Y++ PGP++ t 5++ X- R+ tv+ b++++ DI++++ D+
    G-- e+++ h---- r+++ y+++ PL++++

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

Member #
    Liked
    15446 times
    I have tried to be very laid back and just listen to the discussion because I am sincerely trying to figure out something that I find difficult.

There is one theme, however, that I feel I must comment on because some of you are flat wrong. If you think you can predict how an abused person will react or what they would say you are wrong. You are basing your idea on how you think you would react.

I work with a local shelter which, in addition to running a physical building where people suffering abuse can be housed, also puts people into situations where they can truly hide; where nobody knows where they are. The only records are doubly encrypted and the keys is kept offsite in separate locations.(That's my contribution.) That is the level of care that has to sometimes be taken to keep an abuser and their victim apart. There have been a couple of cases locally where someone who thought they could hide without skilled help were found and tortured.

But the reason you are wrong is that long term abuse creates a mental state very similar to borderline personality disorder. (It may be BPD but I am not competent to make that judgement.) If you have ever lived with an individual with BPD you would realize that a sane version of logic stands no chance of predicting the behavior of someone with BPD. Would a victim say something likely to set off their abuser? I have no idea, and neither do you. It depends on the victim; the abuser; the relationship; and probably the phase of the moon.

Those of you who have never dealt with abuse from either side … consider yourself very very lucky. It is not always as easy to get yourself out of as a sane person would think.

Enough of a rant. I do actually appreciate those of you on either side of this discussion. Any time you see only one side, you have no doubt that you are right. And I have been deeply troubled by this situation. I believe in individual rights. I believe in the [competent] individual's right to determine their own destiny. I am also deeply committed to protecting those who are unable to protect themselves. And I recognize the difficulty of determining the differences. That is why this is difficult.

Anyway, let me take this remarkably appropriate opportunity to wish all of you a peaceful and safe Chanukah and Christmas. Please pray for those both here and abroad whose holidays will be neither peaceful nor safe.
    You are doing the same thing trying to predict how the gun will be used. Bottom line is you are taking someones laughing statement as a reason to deny someone else his 2nd amendment. Im just saying id need more proof to deny him.
    I don't always open carry, but when I do I prefer DeSantis.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    36216 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum_Gauge View Post
    You are doing the same thing trying to predict how the gun will be used. Bottom line is you are taking someones laughing statement as a reason to deny someone else his 2nd amendment. Im just saying id need more proof to deny him.
    The Second Amendment limits the the actions of the government, not private parties. Has nothing to do with the question. As an individual I cannot tell him he cannot have a gun. But I don't have to sell it to him.
    Keeper of The Pledge

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

If the Russians hacked Clinton's email then she is guilty of a felony for exposing classified information to a hostile government.

Member #
    Liked
    35213 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum_Gauge View Post
    Its so weird when we agree TA
    MG you and I on the same page brings this scene from Ghostbusters to mind

Magnum_Gauge likes this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    35213 times
    The Second Amendment limits the the actions of the government, not private parties. Has nothing to do with the question. As an individual I cannot tell him he cannot have a gun. But I don't have to sell it to him.
    I do agree with MadKaw here.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    35213 times

MadKaw I believe protecting those who are not able to protect themselves and who at the same time want help is both noble and Honorable. I would do the same and I wish more people would.

I think the specific question though is does this instance fit that bill? Granted I was not there so I am basing this completely on what was posted, I don't believe it fits either criteria where inolvement would be justified.

Member #
    Liked
    36216 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    MadKaw I believe protecting those who are not able to protect themselves and who at the same time want help is both noble and Honorable. I would do the same and I wish more people would.

I think the specific question though is does this instance fit that bill? Granted I was not there so I am basing this completely on what was posted, I don't believe it fits either criteria where inolvement would be justified.
    We disagree. Keep this in mind…both the enabling legislation and company policy require me to exercise my judgement and refuse to sell if I have any doubts about the sale.
    Keeper of The Pledge

∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0

Member #
    Liked
    15446 times
    We disagree. Keep this in mind…both the enabling legislation and company policy require me to exercise my judgement and refuse to sell if I have any doubts about the sale.
    I meant no disrespect for anything MabKaw. I was just giving my opinion based on what you said. Not being there I can't make a true judgement. But I respect your opinion very much and know that you will judge the situation as best you see it. I'm sure whatever you do in these situations will be the right decisions. Just follow your instincts.

On a side note however I've known many people involved in domestic abuse and never once have they joked or laughed about it. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen though.
    I don't always open carry, but when I do I prefer DeSantis.

Member #
    Liked
    30013 times
    ...maybe you should get to know her first...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Sponsored Links