Like Tree44Likes

Thread: New Dunham's Sports doesn't impress me none

Member #
    Liked
    556 times
    Truly, Master Chief!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    USN 1972-1976
    - NCTAMS Honolulu 30 DEC 72 - 28 MAY 76. Hey...SOMEBODY had to be there!!

Member #
    Liked
    6125 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Northwoods_Shooter View Post
    Walked into one in Rhinelander, WI yesterday. Went towards the gun section; checked prices and thought they were a little stiff. Then I saw one in the display case advertised as coming with "two clips".

Walked out shaking my head muttering "Not impressed..." under my breath.

Now, I know people confuse "clips" vs "mags" but on a sales tag at a brand-new, just-opened sporting goods store? Am I wrong to hold them to a higher standard? (That's a Rhetorical Question there, everybody!! :-) )

Anyhow, guess I'll continue to trade at Mel's Trading Post...

(end rant)
    I will stop calling them clips when people quit beginning their sentences and questions with the word..."so."
    FearNot likes this.
    hombre

Never forget...9/11/01

Member #
    Liked
    6125 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    Won't be the first time the dictionary was wrong. A clip is not a magazine, no matter how often the term is misused.

Lately the more often a term is misused the more likely it will be that the dictionary folks will make it part of the meaning. Doesn't matter what the dictionary says, if you call your rifle a gun in Basic Training, the DI will have you running around singing a dirty little ditty and holding your crotch.
    True about calling a rifle a gun...IN the MILITARY. On the street it is just a gun, and it probably is fed with/by a clip. Civilians don't give a crap.
    hombre

Never forget...9/11/01

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    35676 times
    We have a Dunham's here and I've been in there quite a few times. Ammo selection is weak but priced on par with Walmart, usually only a few cents more. Same with scopes, they didn't have the one I was looking for but the selection was very good. Most were the same brands and prices as Walmart but there's a Wm right across the road so that might explain it. I got a few soft rifle cases on sale there for between $8-$10 each but even at the regular price, they were level with Wm and less than the LGS. They have alot of rifles, even some vintage military stuff but you'd play hell tryin' to buy one...service in the firearms dept totally sucks. There's never anyone there. You have to ask the cashier at the front of the store to send someone back and half the time they never show. If you can't pull it off the shelf and pay for it up front......you prob'ly ain't gettin' it there.
    91 whiskey likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Member #
    Liked
    11222 times
    I read a clip in a magazine, but I don't get much out of the fish wraps lately.
    AOCM.RET likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    10373 times
    I was not impressed with Dick's Sporting Goods.
    Drewski and treg like this.
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. Josh Billings
    One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. Bob Marley
    To conquer a nation, first disarm it's citizens. Adolf Hitler
    I like my whisky old and my women young. Errol Flynn

Member #
    Liked
    23218 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    Won't be the first time the dictionary was wrong. A clip is not a magazine, no matter how often the term is misused.

Lately the more often a term is misused the more likely it will be that the dictionary folks will make it part of the meaning
    So the world should check with you, as the self appointed arbiter, in any disputes regarding the use of English?

Many many words have changed their meaning as time progresses. Language is awful and I hope you take this post in the gay fashion it was intended.

Awful—Originally meant "inspiring wonder (or fear)". Used originally as a shortening for "full of awe", in contemporary usage the word usually has negative meaning.

Gay—Originally meant (13th century) "lighthearted", "joyous" or (14th century) "bright and showy", it also came to mean "happy"; it acquired connotations of immorality as early as 1637, either sexual e.g., gay woman "prostitute", gay man "womanizer", gay house "brothel", or otherwise, e.g., gay dog "over-indulgent man" and gay deceiver "deceitful and lecherous". In the United States by 1897 the expression gay cat referred to a hobo, especially a younger hobo in the company of an older one; by 1935, it was used in prison slang for a homosexual boy; and by 1951 and clipped to gay, referred to homosexuals.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    8331 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AOCM.RET View Post
    Never heard of Dunham's Sports Store! I don't think there is one down here in my area of Florida.

Words? A lot of people do not know how to use words or what they mean; they are mostly examples of those who did not complete high school, or the result of government schooling at its best. ......Check out the next person that is interviewed by a reporter, at the scene of a crime or accident. Or just listen to the language that the reporter uses.

Yep. Especially here in Jacksonville. The teenage reporters we have here amuze me daily. Everything is Daunting, Massive, Alarming, Exclusive, and/or Severe.
    treg likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10481 times
    Regardless of terminology, I've never been impressed with Dunham's.

Member #
    Liked
    10481 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood717 View Post
    I was not impressed with Dick's Sporting Goods.
    Nor should you be.
    Elwood717 likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links