Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Weekend of July 12/13 works for me and I am interested in:

Phase 3: MN/WI/IA/MI Meet, greet, shoot & eat - Save the date

11K views 121 replies 31 participants last post by  ELW00D 
#1 ·
Hello folks.

This thread has been long overdue. I've been awfully busy with work, and dealing with inept managers (but, that's a story for another thread!).

Looks like we have a good number who agree that Milford Hills is a good location. So, let's see if we can agree on a day/date.

In my conversation with Sekol - who, btw, is flying in from MD - have honed in on the weekend of July 12/13. Our initial plans were to meet on the 13th. However, we might be able to get Milford Hills to set us up for an additional day of shooting (which will incur additional costs). Sekol can chime in on this, as she is the point of contact with Milford hills.

Let us know what you think?

Reactions: PurpleHouse
#42 ·
I have to work and I am on the wrong side of Iowa.

#47 ·
Thanks for the post about the groupon, rhuber! The prices they are going to give us are really close to that - and it includes FOOD! I think shiftace posted that it will be approx $50-$60 for two days of shooting, with food, and half of that for one day with food.

For Drewski and mingaa: shooting clays is $17.50 per person per 50 clays.

rhuber: Would you think that Milwaukee or Madison is better to fly into? Right now from what I've checked it appears that the flights to Milwaukee are less expensive, but if it's significantly further away, might as well fly into Madison...I have to rent a car at either airport

Reactions: PurpleHouse
#48 ·
It is a horse a piece. I prefer the city of Madison over the city of Milwaukee, but that is just me. To me, Madison is an easier place to drive in. 5 minute drive from the Madison airport to the interstate. That said, I am sure there are a few Milwaukee area members. Maybe a car pool from Milwaukee would be a possibility.

Reactions: Sekol
#51 ·
Yippee! loudviking has been doing all sorts of work on a/the SD retreat! He is a whirlwind of energy.:)

Give me another day or so to get all his great info into a coherent format- stand by!

Also - our good friend Texheim has told me about a great bar bque place in Madison that I'll post about some time tomorrow as a great place to eat on the Friday eve before the retreat. Gotta' be on the 'puter and not my Kindle to really do it justice!

Reactions: mingaa
#53 ·
Maybe I will know when I will be going to training with my new job and (crossing fingers) maybe it will be during this time. What is the deadline going to be?

Training is in Elgin, IL and is for two weeks with the weekend in between to myself. I'd have to bring ammo without guns.

#56 ·
I'm looking into it... Otter has relatives in Green Bay. Maybe I could talk her into a combined trip...

#58 ·
Holy hotdogs.

I had to dig this thread up again - from Page 4. :eek:

Anyway, update from Sekol. She sent out a check for the deposit on Milford Hills. THANK YOU, sekol.

Looks like we are on for July 12 and 13. That is 3 months away should give us plenty of time to plan! I will open another thread, and maybe someone more proficient/knowledgeable (mingaa!? ) can help plan the shooting events, and put together a list of firearms etc. :)

Thanks ya'll and I look forward to this.

#59 ·
I'm curious about where everyone is gonna stay, too.

#60 ·
I'm curious if you are going to bring the M85 to this meet and greet.

Not sure, where we'll be staying. Looks like my Sis-in-law moved to Madison area and the wifes cousin is in Johnson creek (for now); so she might stay with them... looks like it's gonna gonna be the Days Inn for me..

#62 ·
There is a Comfort Suites and a Days Inn right in Johnson Creek if you need a place to stay in town. If you're really cheap you can stay at Pyramid Liquor and Motel, but thats one of those you get what you pay for type of places.lol Nice thing about where they are located, you can find rooms in Lake Mills, Watertown, or Johnson Creek. All are fairly close to Milford Hills. I'll be bringing whatever firearms and ammo I can fit in my car. More than willing to share.

#63 ·
I was hoping to stay at the same place as some of the other members. Either the Comfort Suites or Days Inn look fine to me.

Reactions: mingaa and Sekol
#64 ·
It would be cool if someone could run a scouting party to each to see the condition, amenities, etc. Maybe even get a hold of the manager and try and wangle a discount if 10-15 rooms were guaranteed. That last may depend on what other activities are happening in the area that weekend.

#65 ·
Hi folks - sorry I've been MIA for a while - work, you know - nasty thing that it is!:)

I HAVE contacted a hotel in Johnson Creek and gotten some promise of good rates and a free hot breakfast every morning- when I get into the shop today I will bring up the info and post it - so stand by - and check back on this thread is a little while!

I've also bought some 22lr ammo and will be contacting Mill ford Hills this week about their gun shop and seeing what kid of ammo and cost they have. Also - will be asking their gun shop about shipping firearms into them ahead of time, too, for those of us it pertains to!

#67 ·
Keep us posted on decent room rates. I am watching flight prices now. I don't know if I can swing it or not $ wise but I am looking in to it.

#68 ·
Hi folks - just wanted to drop in a few quick lines about our shooting retreat at Millford Hills! There is a Comfort Suite on 75 Paradise Lane, Johnson Creek, WI 53038 and they have offered us a discounted rate for rooms of $94.95 per night and that does include a free hot breakfast - not just coffee and doughnuts! It is located very close to Millford Hills. I will be staying there - I do believe that at this stage in my life that I have earned the right to a certain level of comfort after all these years - no more sleeping on the ground without air conditioning for me !:) I was also in contact with a nice young man from the gun shop at Millford Hills today and will be speaking with him a bit more over the next few days regarding purchasing ammo for our meet, greet, eat, and shoot retreat and the state regulations regarding transport of firearms.

On the evening of Friday July 11th - a group of us are planning to have dinner at Smoky Jon's BBQ in Madison! It looks like a yummy place, and we have Texheim to thank for the suggestion!

I have not actually purchased my tickets yet - but have been watching the fares and it appears that you cannot get a direct flight from Baltimore to Madison, WI - but in any event - I have the money set aside for my plane ticket! I can hardly wait to go out there and finally meet so many of you! Plus - by July I am sure hoping that the weather will be warmer - we had snow again last night!

I've got some 22 lr stashed away already - what other calibers should we be picking up in anticipation? Let me know what you think we should be trying find on our trips to the lgs and such!!

Come on spring - momma needs a new pair of shoes, ahhh...make that bricks of 22!

Toy Action figure Figurine Stuffed toy Plush

#69 ·
Hi folks - just wanted to drop in a few quick lines about our shooting retreat at Millford Hills! There is a Comfort Suite on 75 Paradise Lane, Johnson Creek, WI 53038 and they have offered us a discounted rate for rooms of $94.95 per night and that does include a free hot breakfast - not just coffee and doughnuts! It is located very close to Millford Hills. I will be staying there - I do believe that at this stage in my life that I have earned the right to a certain level of comfort after all these years - no more sleeping on the ground without air conditioning for me !:) I was also in contact with a nice young man from the gun shop at Millford Hills today and will be speaking with him a bit more over the next few days regarding purchasing ammo for our meet, greet, eat, and shoot retreat and the state regulations regarding transport of firearms.

On the evening of Friday July 11th - a group of us are planning to have dinner at Smoky Jon's BBQ in Madison! It looks like a yummy place, and we have Texheim to thank for the suggestion!

I have not actually purchased my tickets yet - but have been watching the fares and it appears that you cannot get a direct flight from Baltimore to Madison, WI - but in any event - I have the money set aside for my plane ticket! I can hardly wait to go out there and finally meet so many of you! Plus - by July I am sure hoping that the weather will be warmer - we had snow again last night!

I've got some 22 lr stashed away already - what other calibers should we be picking up in anticipation? Let me know what you think we should be trying find on our trips to the lgs and such!!

Come on spring - momma needs a new pair of shoes, ahhh...make that bricks of 22!

View attachment 83176
In that you are flying out there, have you checked with the airlines about the transport of ammunition on a commercial flight? I'm sure you have, but just in case I thought I would ask.

#70 · (Edited)
  • US DOT regulations do not limit the total number of packages or the total weight that may be transported in checked baggage; however, the ammunition must be for "personal use." Many air carriers limit the amount of small arms ammunition that may be carried in checked baggage to 11 lbs., (5 kg) consistent with international standards. When in doubt, check with your air carrier.

More on ammo & air travel here: Safe Travel

I'll be driving up and plan on bringing morethan 11 lbs of 22LR, 9mm, 40 S&W, .223/5.56 & 12 gauge - I'll load extra 300 Blackout for the trip and I bet that Texheim will oblige with some spare Grendel as well!!! ;)

Reactions: Texheim and Sekol
#85 ·
Hey! It's not 6.5 Grendel, it's 6.8 spc!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#71 ·
Definitely check with the airlines. Especially if you will be changing planes. When I flew to Ohio it was a direct flight on SouthWest. Coming home I had to change planes from SouthWest to Airtran (owned by SouthWest). Both Airlines had separate policies. SouthWest was pretty much standard TSA rules. However Airtran had different rules, which required ammo to be in a separate suitcase then the gun. Wouldn't you know, another suitcase required = another baggage fee.

Reactions: shiftace and Sekol
#72 ·
Thanks for all the tips, folks! I've been planning to ship some ammo out to rhuber, one of our "local" WI TA'ers and as for the firearms-well, I'm not sure what to do yet. I do have some .380 to share and hopefully some 38 +/or 357. Right now I have some 9mm, but I don't know if I can make it last until July!!:D What I really have a yen for is some 45lc to take along with my Taurus Gaucho for ya'll to try ( I just looove that SAA revolver!) but there is none to be had anywhere and DH hasn't been magic-ing any up lately.:(

Maybe I should try to get some more 410 and mingaa ​can show me what to do with my new Rossi!

#73 ·
I can load a 'boatload' of my rounds to compensate/swap for gun swapping. I'm off factory ammo for the most part ( all but 22LR!) but there is also ammo here in the 'Lou SO if anyone is short something I will do what I can to help!!

I also clean up brass like a shop vac. If anyone needs 45 ACP I can bring some. I also have some 380, 38 Spcl. and 38 Super that we can trade!! I like .223/5.56 and will also trade for short cases (under 1.750") to cut down to make/form 300 Blackout with.

#74 ·
Bump!

#75 · (Edited)
Bumpity Bump.

Yesssir.

FIKL, Of course there are going to be a few more threads: Guns, hotels, people who wanna carpool etc need to be discussed as well. For now, we have the location and the dates hammered out. So, possibly another thread after this and that one can be turned into a sticky.

Mingaa: Looks like you have some ideas for firearms and shooting stuff that we might do. So I'll work with you to get that thread started. If you can take the lead on it..... we can turn that one into a sticky, and include all details on dates/hotels etc.

Thanks again guys.

#78 ·
Do it jonrjen - life is too short!!

I ran Hotwire for hotels using the club ZIP and here are results:
Watertown 2 star - $48
Johnson City 2 star - $65
Others nearby ( including Fort Atkinson) $46 - 103 - all are 2 or 2.5 star.
Looks like Hilton skipped the area!!

I'm all for negotiating for a group package. I thought these figures might be helpful for that discussion.

Yes, I am really curious about shooting parameters and logistics. I'd be happy to explore and explain some of what we would like in that department and discover what the club is willing to do for our group. Here are some things that come to mind:
- multiple pistol distances and objectives (same for long guns)
- the ability to use available club equipment OR bring in our own (steel, Idpa style target stands etc.) **please post up if you have something to bring or that you would like to see there
- the ability to shoot rifle, pistol and target shotgun at the same range - arranged safely - OR in close proximity
- the ability to draw and shoot from holsters (guns should be cold until at the line, loaded and unloaded there)
- an area that can be used for action shooting ( if desired, by more than me?!)
- trap/skeet sounds like it is already there
- clear rules if they vary from standing club rules

Sekol - I'd be happy to have this discussion with the appropriate folks at the club and negotiate what I can for the group.

Please post up anything I have missed OR if you think I am shooting too high. My opinion, it does not hurt to ask!

Ammo I will have:
22LR
9mm
40S&W
.223x45
300 Blackout
12 gauge (slugs, buck & birdshot)

As I'm driving I will bring as much as I can.

#79 ·
Do it jonrjen - life is too short!!

I ran Hotwire for hotels using the club ZIP and here are results:
Watertown 2 star - $48
Johnson City 2 star - $65
Others nearby ( including Fort Atkinson) $46 - 103 - all are 2 or 2.5 star.
Looks like Hilton skipped the area!! ...
mingaa, you staying the night at all? If so have you decided where? Wonder what the Watertown hotel is like, hard to get a good read from the online reviews. All I really need is a clean bed and shower.

I read where Sekol worked up a discount closer to the range. 3 nights there is more then the plane ticket, so I may have to find something else if I can swing this.

#81 ·
WI does not have concealed carry reciprocity with FL. That stinks.

#82 · (Edited)
Oops, sorry -that's not good.
Now ya'll know how I feel all the time- we can't cc at all in my state. Still looking to move across the border....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.