Hunting rifle calibers? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: Hunting rifle calibers?

Member #
    In a part of Texas where it is so flat, you can watch a mistreated dog run away for three days!
    Liked
    10715 times
    There are a lot of good calibers for most large mammal hunting in the lower 48 that won't break the bank or your shoulder. Unless you are shooting from mountain top to mountain top, the .338 Lapua may be a little overkill, and a 300 Winmag will fill most scenarios even in Alaska.

For Elk, probably more Elk have been taken with either the .270 or the 30-06, and I would today settle on a .308 for an all around bolt action and stay away from exotic calibers.

I never plan on going Griz hunting and am quite content with a 25-06 and a .270 in my stable, although I am considering a .308.

I think you are on the right track with the other two and would lean towards the .22 LR over the .17 HMR if I was getting a .223 /5.56 as you can do a lot with the .223/556, which has proved very adequate for most White Tail for two of my Grandsons and makes a great varmint rifle.

My sons have taken White Tail and Mulies with the 30-30, 25-06, 270 and what I think is overkill, the 300 Winmag.

Personally, I would stick to common calibers.

The 10 year old grandson took this with his .223 last year at age 9

Name:  563607_496857653685525_775252822_n.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  116.9 KB
    Last edited by LonestarJake; 01-05-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Mark Twain once said “In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.”

"Fears, not years, make men old!" Mac McCallister

Member #
    Liked
    2134 times
    I'm glad to see some references to the 30-30. Every deer I've killed I killed with a 30-30. During field dressing those animals I was really impressed by the damage a 30-30 does, ripping lungs and hearts to shreds etc.
    Since moving to the remote woods I've tried to collect some guns for a end of the world situations. I've bought a .22 semi auto rifle and handgun, a Mini 14 .223. I've replaced my old Marlin 30-30 from 30 years ago with a used non Remlin (non Marlington if you will) 336 in 30-30. I've always had a couple of shotguns, a single shot .22 and assorted other handguns including a .38 SPL. .40 S&W and a .357.
    I think my collection is fairly complete, at least there is nothing else I'm looking for or want. I also think I have enough gun among them all to handle anything that might come up... at least in the Missouri Ozarks.

I've also been heavily involved in stock piling ammo.
    Shinsou likes this.
    Kim Rhode: "The fact that the government would even consider repealing or taking away the Second Amendment is basically the very reason for which it was written. So for me, that is an issue in itself." US Olympic Trap Shooter

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I would go with .22 for small game. .223/5.56 will take down any medium to large game with the right ammo. Check out DRT ammo. Incredible round. And domething in 30 caliber range. That is all you need.
    Shinsou likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    955 times
    I like the 22 for small game, for deer and larger I like the 270/308/3030/or 30.06. Bear especially something like griz well bigger is better I think, although the 30.06 would do. But if big is what you are looking for maybe the 338 weatherby, it's a awesome round. I do like the addition of the 12 gauge with the addition of a slug barrel. And LoneStarJake is pretty much spot on.
    Last edited by oldbull360; 01-05-2014 at 07:52 PM.
    Shinsou likes this.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. - Gerald Ford?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." ~~ George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    1225 times
    The Weatherby Vanguard .30-06 I had did just about everything. I shot 110HP for prairie dogs, 165 for deer and elk, and 220 RN for moose. It was one of the few rifles I've had that would shoot that variety of bullets and shoot them all well. If you are going bear hunting the .30-06 is good for black bear, a .45-70 is the minimum I'd use for browns.
    Shinsou and gbusmech like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    Western North Dakota

Member #
    Liked
    7675 times
    I am looking real hard at the .338-06, but everything I have killed has been with a .300 sav or .22lr. Mostly i am looking at it because I have another Mauser action and I already rebarreled one to .308 and have a .270 barrel I have yet to install on another.
    Shinsou likes this.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Member #
    Liked
    932 times
    Lots of good suggestions in these posts. I support the 'keep it simple' and minimum costs, while still getting the job done.

My suggestions...
    1. 22lr--cheap and easy to use for small game
    2. .308/30-30/30-06-- All pretty easy on the budget and good middle range/sized game getter
    3. 44 mag for combo rifle and handgun effective at shorter ranges

If you need to go larger a .338 win mag, or .375 H&H.. but the ammo is expensive and not common in some areas.
    Shinsou likes this.
    Dad and GrandPa, Retired Educator, Roadfood.Com Moderator, BBQ Freak, Railfan, Firearms Collector, Not-So-Active Hunter. Getting Old Sucks.

Member #
    Liked
    35385 times
    I'll throw in with those who suggested you look into a 30-30 or 30.06. In my opinion those are the best all around hunting rounds. I like the 30-30 the best, its a light load (in my opinion) that packs a solid punch and is capable of taking down every major game animal in North America. (not legally in all jurisdictions but thats not the same thing). I like the 30.06 for longer 200 yard + ranges, which for me is just about never.
    Shinsou, DDDWho and gbusmech like this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    23592 times
    For small game up to Coyote size, the .22 Magnum would be my choice, having more range than the .22LR.

For an EBR, either the 5.56mm or 7.62x39mm carbine will serve you well. I have both.

My medium to large game choice would be the .30/06 and I have three Rifles, so chambered. The .30/06 will handle the heavier 180 grain Bullets with a bit more velocity, than the .308, but it will consume a bit more powder with the lighter bullets. Of course, this will depend upon how you load it. According to the late Col. Jeff Cooper, the .30/06 with a 180 grain Bullet will kill anything roaming this continent and perhaps some others out side of it. The largest game I have killed with it has been a Bull Elk. I have NOT tried this combination on a large Bear, as yet, lacking the opportunity to have done so.

The other favorite Cartridge in my "collection" would be the 7x57mm Mauser, but with it's popularity waning in the USA, it's primarily a Reloaders Cartridge these days, and while it will work nicely on small to medium size Bears with a 175 grain Bullet, I would be loathe to recommend it for the larger Bruins. It's more popular in Europe, but they don't have many larger Bears there.

Best of Luck, whatever you choose.
    Shinsou and gbusmech like this.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    2406 times
    Thanks again for all the opinions and suggestions.

Yes, as someone pointed out, these weapons will also be handy in a SHTF scenario. In that kind of event it would probably be best to have a variety and not be too picky. But I know where I should start.
    jwc007 likes this.
    That which is unknown and unseen always commands the greatest fear!

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    !

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links