What is the best way to carry a large revolver ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What is the best way to carry a large revolver ?

Member #
    Liked
    681 times

What is the best way to carry a large revolver ?

I wear mine with one of those thigh holsters with all the straps. I like this setup but i have run into two issues. The first is the holster wont stay put, it sort of wants to ride around too the front of the leg. Is there a trick to setting up the straps for a good fit ? The other issue is the gun is loooong it starts at my waist and the muzzle is right at my knee. I have considered a shoulder rig. Are there any other viable options for wearing revolvers of this size, that keeps it safe secure and out of the way ?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32986 times
    I used to carry a N frame Smith & Wesson revolver in a border patrol style holster on a Sam Browne belt with keepers that looped under my waist belt to keep the whole thing from moving around. Not that low, and out of the way, and it worked.
    MOONDAWG likes this.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    681 times
    Interesting. I had too look up the border patrol style holster. They ride a bit higher ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32986 times
    They do. Then there are those without the drop loop that ride even higher.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    33300 times
    I carried my big bore revolvers in a cross draw belt holster when hunting with them. I wore the holster in front of the hip and it positioned the grip in a very comfortable and easily accessible position. It's easy to draw, and as the muzzle clears the holster it's pointed out and away from you making it easy to draw quickly and safely and get onto the target quickly.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    5162 times
    Thigh holsters are crap. Depending on where you carry, a properly fitted chest holster is a sweet alternative.
    jtg452 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    681 times
    It sounds like its largely things like hight and angle for carry. I like belt style holsters worn on shooting side. I dont like the way the old western style holsters flip around.... So thigh holster because it has straps to keep it in place. What about some sort of back holster like over shoulder or lower back or is is that too awkward ?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20873 times
    When I carry a large revolver afield on hunting trips I use a replica US horse solder flap holster worn on my left side with the butt forward that way it is mostly covered keeping most of the trash out of it and being on my left side I'm not constantly banging my long gun against it and it is easier to wear and drive my truck too....
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Member #
    Liked
    7516 times
    Drop loop holsters are crap unless you are on a movie set or the set of a '60's western and forget about the tiedowns. Tiedowns look cool on the screen and work if you are standing still but are impractical if you plan to move at all. I can't stand drop loop rigs or tiedowns, the gun is never where I think it ought to be after I take a couple steps. Get that gun back up on the belt line. If it's too long to draw conventionally strong side, get a holster made for the other hand and twist or cavalry draw it. (To do a twist of cavalry draw, turn your hand so that your thumb is point behind you with your elbow pointed away from your body and grab the gun. Pull it up. As the cylinder clears the holster, you can rotate your hand back to its' normal position and continue the draw or you can leave your hand where it is and finish the draw and rotate the gun 'up' to the normal firing position as you present it to the target. It works both ways and it's up to you which you like.)
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    3203 times
    this is what we used on the farm.fit my 44 mag Name:  gun belt.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  59.7 KB

it is ALWAYS better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
    Get a gun and GET TRAINING. Training is the key to making proper and responsible decisions in the use of deadly force and training is the key to expertly defending yourself in an unavoidable lethal encounter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links