Taurus Updates .45 ACP Load Recommendations - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Taurus Updates .45 ACP Load Recommendations

Member #
    Liked
    4010 times
    If you got the placement and the penetration it ain't gonna matter if you use +p's or not. If you don't have placement or penetration you'll probably have to keep on shooting till you do.
    leftcoastrebel likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    9171 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aphdmansoc View Post
    If you got the placement and the penetration it ain't gonna matter if you use +p's or not. If you don't have placement or penetration you'll probably have to keep on shooting till you do.
    ^ agree 100%

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Interesting discussion but leaves me wondering about a couple things. I know a +P load increases the pressure and that would directly affect the chamber the round is fired from but... If the bullet grain weight was lowered and the felt recoil was less, is that added pressure adding to the stress on the actual frame, recoil spring, or slide etc.? I've heard that some compact .45acp pistols have problems cycling with lighter than 230 grain bullets but would the increased pressure help address this problem?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3354 times
    This is out of stock now because of the shortage on Gold Dots, but I've used it for a few years now and my pistols don't show any extra wear.

45 ACP 230gr Bonded Defense® JHP 20rds
    Last edited by Hei Hu; 08-21-2014 at 08:39 AM.
    "Think me not unkind and rude, that I walk alone in grove and glen;
    I go to the god of the wood, to fetch his word to men."
    Emerson

"Bene qui latuit bene vixit"

..even oppressing heat may be visited by a cool breeze..
    Doug

Member #
    Liked
    2598 times
    I havent had any probs with golden sabers +p ammo. I shot a mag through 1 time, to get a feel for it, and now its strictly carry ammo. If I need it to defend my or my familys life, and I have to replace the gun 6 mos later because of that wear, Im cool with that.

Besides, CDNN just had them on sale for 16.99 per 25 rd box. vs 26-30 bucks at my local store.
    Stroker likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffnReno View Post
    Interesting discussion but leaves me wondering about a couple things. I know a +P load increases the pressure and that would directly affect the chamber the round is fired from but... If the bullet grain weight was lowered and the felt recoil was less, is that added pressure adding to the stress on the actual frame, recoil spring, or slide etc.? I've heard that some compact .45acp pistols have problems cycling with lighter than 230 grain bullets but would the increased pressure help address this problem?
    Finally got out to do some shooting yesterday and I'm happy to report that the Liberty Civil Defense ammo worked perfectly in my PT145 Pro without any issues. That is a 78 grain bullet +P with a muzzle velocity of 1900 fps and muzzle energy rated at over 600 ft. lbs.. Since the felt recoil seemed close to the same as the FMJ 230 grain bullets but reduced the carry weight of my EDC considerably, I've now found my favor carry ammo, now that reliability and control ability has been proven in my pistol.
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47519 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffnReno View Post
    Finally got out to do some shooting yesterday and I'm happy to report that the Liberty Civil Defense ammo worked perfectly in my PT145 Pro without any issues. That is a 78 grain bullet +P with a muzzle velocity of 1900 fps and muzzle energy rated at over 600 ft. lbs.. Since the felt recoil seemed close to the same as the FMJ 230 grain bullets but reduced the carry weight of my EDC considerably, I've now found my favor carry ammo, now that reliability and control ability has been proven in my pistol.
    Interesting round, you should post about it in the Factory ammo section. I ballistic testing would be cool to see.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    5899 times
    Quote Originally Posted by propellerhead View Post
    Ugh! And I was about to buy some Hornady TAP +P for my PT-145.
    Not to worry, your 145 is rated for +P loads, they don't recommend extensive use of them or loads rated higher like +P+, etc..

So basically, don't do range sessions with +P loads, that's not the best idea. But if you want to use them for carry ammo, I would at least run a mag of them to make sure they cycle and feed well, but other than that just buy FMJ for range practice.
    JeffnReno likes this.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links