• 1 Post By taurustoter
  • 1 Post By badge851
  • 1 Post By Bamabowtie

Thread: List of Things that Taurus Did First

Member #
    Liked
    393 times

List of Things that Taurus Did First

It is always about the latest and greatest, but there is a pattern I see as I study the history of different firearm innovations, and that is that Taurus often does things first. So give me some help here. What firearms and firearm design features did Taurus come up with that another company later jumped on the bandwagon with? Right off the bat I can think of the Judge and the subsequent S&W Governor. I am also think there are features from the PT 111 and the Slim 709 that have been imitated. I also see Colt and S&W moving towards the matte finish on their revolvers. Thanks for your replies in advance.
    taurustoter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3821 times
    Well, I don't know for sure, but the specific "stippling" that they put on their original G2 has seemed to have been emulated by some others. I mean guns have always had some form of stippling, but now you see them on a few other manufactures, and it is most certainly a copy of what Taurus did on the G2.

I had never felt factory stippling before, like that on my G2, before I bought that pistol.
    Lionquest1 likes this.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    2460 times
    Taurus® has a real hit with the TRACKER™ series, particularly with the Model 44C in 44 Mag. Smith & Wesson® copied it with their L frame Mdl 69 albeit much more expensive.
    Last edited by badge851; 07-07-2018 at 08:07 PM.
    texastaurusguy likes this.
    David
    CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours

Vulnerata, Fortis, Dignus Veterani
    كافر. المسلحة. جاهزة
    Only two defining forces ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, & Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
    1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3036 times
    Not to bust anyone's bubble, but the judge was not the "first".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL_Thunder_5

However, I do believe the Curve was a unique concept.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    TonyC2639 likes this.
    This is the land of opportunity not entitlement

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33068 times
    I was liking Taurus in the 90's but when the 2000's rolled around, I was looking for something I thought didn't exist - a smallish 9mm that could be carried covertly and didn't kill your hand with reccoil. Taurus came out with the Millenium series, and I bought a 2nd gen gun around 2004. DAO, 10 round magazine (because of the Clinton gun ban), and factory installed tritium sights, I thought that gun was everything I would ever want in a pistol. Imagine my surprise when I saw the PT145, about the same size but packing a bigger caliber punch. Had to have one.

There may have been other similar sized pistols around back then, but I sure can't tell you what they were. I believe Taurus was on the leading edge of this type of gun and that this time period was their heyday. I hope they have another period of time like that, I really do.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    5879 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamabowtie View Post
    Not to bust anyone's bubble, but the judge was not the "first".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL_Thunder_5

However, I do believe the Curve was a unique concept.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Well that was interesting and educational. Thanks! You can still buy the Thunder 5 too. There are several on Gunbroker.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    596 times
    A Taurus first for me: I love the G2C so much I bought a second one. Never bought two of the same gun before.
    “The most important space on the battlefield is the six inches between your ears.”
    James Mattis , General USMC, Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    PMOS: 4641, Combat Photographer
    AMOS: 0311, Infantry Rifleman
    Worst day of my life: 6 Feb 1968, Hue City, Vietnam
    Best day of my life: Today, wherever I am

Member #
    Liked
    3264 times
    The only .45 Colt on the market that was double action and had a under-lug barrel was Colt's Anaconda when I was looking. I bought one and hated it. I was use to Smith & Wesson's setup for double action revolvers. Even the single action had some quirks. S&W announced they were bringing out a 625, and it ended up being a 3" round butt called their Mountain gun.

I was somewhat irritated. The shop showed me an article where Taurus was going to come out with a dedicated .45 Colt six shot Raging Bull. I ordered a 6.5" Blued and shot it against my Anaconda in .45 Colt. The Taurus won in accuracy and trigger. I sold the Colt to a collector for $800 at the time. Which was good money for them then as used Pythons were hovering around $1,000. I still have the .45 Colt Raging Bull.

I still keep my eyes pealed for another, and if the price is right I'd jump on it, even though I have a Super Redhawk in .454.

Maloy

Sponsored Links