New Taurus firearms don't have lifetime warranty - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Like Tree637Likes

Thread: New Taurus firearms don't have lifetime warranty

Member #
    Liked
    5043 times
    There seems to be a continuing effort at Taurus to lower their cost to manufacture each firearm. I wonder what cost saving techniques Taurus will incorporate in the next 12 months. I'm guessing we'll soon see our Taurus firearms packed in paper bags.

Member #
    Liked
    28070 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruntson View Post
    There seems to be a continuing effort at Taurus to lower their cost to manufacture each firearm. I wonder what cost saving techniques Taurus will incorporate in the next 12 months. I'm guessing we'll soon see our Taurus firearms packed in paper bags.
    Well as I don't think that Taurus is on the Kalifornia register for sale in that State, they could use a Plastic baggie like in the grocery store and not effect overall sales!
    maybe supply the gun with a half of a magazine instead of a full magazine??
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    28070 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    That is the result of zero resale value. For instance, when you can buy a new G2 for $149 you can not expect the gun shop to offer more than 75 or $80 trade in if they're to make a profit off a gun. People that buy the discounted guns new and find out that their gun is only worth half what they paid originally will decide to keep it every time.

Not only that but many gun shops are just not accepting used Taurus firearms because of bad customer service, bad QC, and the fact that even if they are a licensed Gun Shop they can't buy repair parts. Even the parts that are available to them for sale are worthless if Taurus doesn't have the parts to sell them.

Because of this people are buying new Taurus firearms from the big box stores at reduced prices. then when they have a problem with the gun the big box stores tell them they have to send it back to Taurus on their own money and the customer runs up against poor customer service and no parts availability. It's all a vicious circle and it just keeps repeating over and over and over

Don
    That is dead on just about exactly correct in what has happened here in my general area.
    about the only place that you see Taurus for sale new is in pawn shops, and you really don't see used one there.
    The regular true gun shops will not even look at a taurus for trade or to buy.
    Now I speak of the say 6-8 gun shops in the area where I live, say 20 miles from my house, I imagine that there are some true gun shops that stock and sale them somewhere around here?
    believe me I got two 24/7 C D/S and a 738 that I would trade on something in a heartbeat IF I could get any kind of reasonable money/ trade for them.
    BangBang and Desperado like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3633 times
    Well, my Braztech Rossi m92 only has a 1 year warranty. Also, if I were to install the peep sight I'm looking at, or one of the modified rear sights out there, it would void the warranty. My M66 only came with the 5-year warranty. Some pawn shops around here won't even touch a Taurus, even for a loan.
    Desperado likes this.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."--Optimus Prime

œολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruntson View Post
    They used to come wrapped in Taurus printed paper (maybe a bag) then in a poorly fit box.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MARINEDIVISIONTWO View Post
    Still,all in all you dont see that many used Taurus for sale at LGSs !
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    That is the result of zero resale value. For instance, when you can buy a new G2 for $149 you can not expect the gun shop to offer more than 75 or $80 trade in if they're to make a profit off a gun. People that buy the discounted guns new and find out that their gun is only worth half what they paid originally will decide to keep it every time.

Not only that but many gun shops are just not accepting used Taurus firearms because of bad customer service, bad QC, and the fact that even if they are a licensed Gun Shop they can't buy repair parts. Even the parts that are available to them for sale are worthless if Taurus doesn't have the parts to sell them.

Because of this people are buying new Taurus firearms from the big box stores at reduced prices. then when they have a problem with the gun the big box stores tell them they have to send it back to Taurus on their own money and the customer runs up against poor customer service and no parts availability. It's all a vicious circle and it just keeps repeating over and over and over

Don
    I've thought about this a bit more, and this appears to be a bean-counter decision to capture a niche gun market and force an increase in new sales.

Taurus cannot compete on quality in the high end HK or Sig with handguns at $600+.

Nor can Taurus even compete in the middle tier with Glock, XD, SW, FN, Walther, CZ with handguns at $400-700.

But Taurus was attempting to basically capture the middle/low tier with guns trying to compete with Glock, XD, and SW such as the 24/7, PT compact series, etc. in the $400 ballpark. They were failing, primarily due to poor quality control, returns, and the lawsuit crippled Taurus IMO.

The bottom end of the market has little competition. Ketlec. Who else? Nobody really. So if they can make cheap $200 guns with no warranty it might be a good financial play for Taurus. At that price point they become almost disposable when they break, considering shipping costs and headaches. Break it and buy a new one price points, like a cheap power tool. The Harbor Freight market.

The warranty must have been financially crippling. Add to it that a lifetime transferable to ANY owner warranty is a DIS-incentive to buy a new gun and INCENTIVE to buy a used gun. Looking at my own buying habits, I've owned many Taurus but few purchased new. I think the company has figured out that they were creating incentives to buy used with the warranty.

So, from a bottom line standpoint, I can see it as a good decision. But from a customer standpoint, I think it should have instead been a lifetime to ORIGINAL owner warranty. And an investment in better quality control to decrease returns.

But I'm soured to Taurus and won't be buying any more new ones, and only amazing deals on the older proven ones.
    Desperado likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Glad to hear its on newer guns. Mine are all from the 80's

Member #
    Liked
    980 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
    I've thought about this a bit more, and this appears to be a bean-counter decision to capture a niche gun market and force an increase in new sales.

Taurus cannot compete on quality in the high end HK or Sig with handguns at $600+.

Nor can Taurus even compete in the middle tier with Glock, XD, SW, FN, Walther, CZ with handguns at $400-700.

But Taurus was attempting to basically capture the middle/low tier with guns trying to compete with Glock, XD, and SW such as the 24/7, PT compact series, etc. in the $400 ballpark. They were failing, primarily due to poor quality control, returns, and the lawsuit crippled Taurus IMO.

The bottom end of the market has little competition. Ketlec. Who else? Nobody really. So if they can make cheap $200 guns with no warranty it might be a good financial play for Taurus. At that price point they become almost disposable when they break, considering shipping costs and headaches. Break it and buy a new one price points, like a cheap power tool. The Harbor Freight market.

The warranty must have been financially crippling. Add to it that a lifetime transferable to ANY owner warranty is a DIS-incentive to buy a new gun and INCENTIVE to buy a used gun. Looking at my own buying habits, I've owned many Taurus but few purchased new. I think the company has figured out that they were creating incentives to buy used with the warranty.

So, from a bottom line standpoint, I can see it as a good decision. But from a customer standpoint, I think it should have instead been a lifetime to ORIGINAL owner warranty. And an investment in better quality control to decrease returns.

But I'm soured to Taurus and won't be buying any more new ones, and only amazing deals on the older proven ones.
    I think they are making a serious mistake because there are even cheaper handguns with a lifetime warranty. I bought a Phoenix HP-22A with a MSRP of $149 with a lifetime warranty for the original owner (they replaced a broken slide for me several years later) and I bought a used Hi-Point C9 with a lifetime warranty and as a result, I later bought a Hi-Point 9mm carbine even though I never needed the warranty.

Member #
    Liked
    1266 times
    SCCY's are pretty cheap. ( I Have two of them). A transferable lifetime warranty. I had some mag issues & they sent me 2 new ones for FREE. Plus paid return of the originals . Then a couple weeks later they sent me an email that said it was just a problem with the feed lips, but they were happy to exchange them. Pretty much the best CS out there. For a couple hundred, I'll just fill my safe with them, Will make great presents.
    Last edited by SCHIZOID; 09-30-2018 at 10:17 AM.
    Taurus1965 likes this.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS

63 AND COUNTING

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SCHIZOID View Post
    SCCY's are pretty cheap. ( I Have two of them). A transferable lifetime warranty. I had some mag issues & they sent me 2 new ones for FREE. Plus paid return of the originals . Then a couple weeks later they sent me an email that said it was just a problem with the feed lips, but they were happy to exchange them. Pretty much the best CS out there. For a couple hundred, I'll just fill my safe with them, Will make great presents.
    I had a Sccy CPX2 and I was complaining about how the parts either came to me or the FFL depending on who answered the phone. SCCY was the reason I got my confidence up to start building 80%. SCCY warranty has changed as well tho. No free replacements if your gun grew legs and ran off(Understandable) and any gun older than a year you eat shipping to their plant. When I got my gun used at a big box store they said they would ship it for me when I had issues. S&W honored my 1911SC but didn't want parts on my 669. Luckily my 469 is still decent.
    Taurus G3
    Taurus Millennium PT111 G2
    Taurus M605B2

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links