380 has 1/2 energy of 9 mm - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: 380 has 1/2 energy of 9 mm

Member #
    Liked
    941 times
    And NONE of those on that chart I would want to get shot with. That being said.....carry what works for you. Placement matters and misses do not count.

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Ballistics.....velocity....energy..........all good on paper..........but the one and most important factor is shot placement.....
    ....the kind that hits center mass..........

I'm in possession of a Colt .380 that was used to dispatch a number of Japanese combatants on the island of Leyte during WW II by an American officer embedded with Filipino guerillas. That American officer was my father - a US Navy LT counterintelligence agent...

Name:  20190131_121213.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  48.9 KB
    U.S. Navy (Retired)1964-1984
    Cryptologic Direct Support Operator
    Vietnam Veteran (two tours)

NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Life Member since 1968

Member #
    Liked
    3914 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
    I honestly picked 9mm for my carry preference without caring about specific performance. I chose based on ammo price, availability and capacity. I wanted to be able to afford a large enough quantity for practice and occasional competition.
    9mm fit that criteria.
    Yeah, but now, 9mm is getting harder to find.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    34944 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsailor View Post
    I'm in possession of a Colt .380 that was used to dispatch a number of Japanese combatants on the island of Leyte during WW II by an American officer embedded with Filipino guerillas. That American officer was my father - a US Navy LT counterintelligence agent...

Name:  20190131_121213.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  48.9 KB
    Wow. That really, really deserves it's own thread.
    william, Car_Doc and jwc007 like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Quote Originally Posted by car5car View Post
    Spectrum is a good second gun, I checked energy table today.
    what date is your info?
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

.380ACP Federal 90gr.JHP 1005 200 14.4" 11.06 sec. 69% 3.6" SIG
    .380ACP Rem. Golden Saber 102gr.JHP 925 194 9.4" n/a 64% 3.6" SIG
    .380ACP Remington 88gr.JHP 1000 195 12.8" 13.46 sec. 54% 3.6" SIG
    .380ACP Federal Hydra-Shok 90gr.JHP 1007 200 10.5" 10.94 sec. 69% 3.6" SIG
    .380ACP Cor-Bon +P 90gr.JHP 1041 217 9" 11.12 sec. 70% 3.6" SIG
    .380ACP Fed, Rem, Win. 95gr.FMJ 955 190 17" 22.8 sec. 51% 3.6" SIG
    .380ACP CCI Gold Dot 90gr.JHP 1030 212 8" n/a 67% 3.6" SIG
    .380ACP Glaser Blue 70gr.Frag. 1313 268 5" 7.94 sec. 75% 3.6" SIG
    .38Spec. Winchester +P 158gr.LHP 790 280 15.2" n/a 67% 2

Member #
    Liked
    3367 times
    Hatcher's scale?! Wow that's digging up old school.

Julian S Hatcher, I think was doing the best he could to try to come up with math to support a theory. I never bought into the Hatcher scale as it tries to over simplify something that has too many variables. Even he had to use pig carcasses to see penetration and damage.

Terminal ballistics has uprooted a lot of theories. Energy transfer together with placement are the two that can't be disputed. Both have to be there to be effective.

So what it boils down to, we are the most flawed part of the equation. Practice, practice, and more practice, and we can still mess up. In defensive use, it all goes out the window due to adrenaline, an attacker moving and our panicked response in our fight or flight. I know when I've been attacked, or hit with an emergency, panic was present. It's all how we respond to it determines the out come. A machine or vehicle on fire, people couldn't believe how fast my fat butt arrived with an extinguisher, or when a couple of rottweilers wanted to have me for lunch. Most recent, a large racoon gave me a big surprise in an out building on a friend's farm. My friend never seen it coming for us across the floor. I knocked him over, and nearly fell myself moving away while shooting. We're still waiting on test results if it was sick.

Sad part is that all of this probably doesn't mean a thing if attacked by a person with a weapon. No matter what cartridge I carry, it will not mean crap if I cannot place it and it's energy where I need it. Also, what if I fail to see a threat soon enough? I can tell you one thing, an attacking, potentially rabid racoon, scared the crap out of me. I use to hunt them, and they can seriously damage dogs and humans in a blink of an eye.

Maloy
    DA-Auto, jtg452 and olfarhors like this.

Member #
    Liked
    28439 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taurustoter View Post
    HMMMM???
    olfarhors Munitions and Firearm Testing Institute has bunches of it, and a big pile of parts to make more!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    BigBlue and fsimpson like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    24068 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taurustoter View Post
    Currently, In my area, ANY ammunition is hard to find, unless you're willing to pay a scalpers price for it.

Back when all of this Rioting non-sense started up, my niece came up short with no defensive 9mm ammunition on hand.
    So, she comes banging on my door, and Uncle puts a box of Winchester 9mm 124 grain PDX in her hands.
    She's a good shot and I pity the fool who breaks down her door!

Getting back to the .380 vs 9mm issue. I used to carry and even use the .380 as a Home Defense Cartridge.
    I could do that again, but only if I absolutely had to. I still prefer the 9mm over it by a wide margin!
    My Walther PPK/S .380 was put into honored semi-retirement the day my 9mm PT111 Millennium Pro came home.

PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm vs Walther PPK/S .380 size comparison.

IF I could not have either the 9mm or .380, the .45 ACP works for me too!
    Qwiks draw likes this.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    28439 times
    I have a few choices myself!
    have really gone more to the 9 MM , carry especially since I picked up a SIG 365 and a Springer XDS, and of course they replaced my Sig 238 which is still a great weapon and running fine, just limited capacity and less power.
    MY next choice would be one of my 38 Supers, and then a 45 acp.
    got a couple 10's but not really wanting to tote them except for excursions into the Jungles of Atlanta, which I seldom make.
    with the right ammo I am comfortable carrying any of these however.
    BigBlue likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    29716 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    I have a few choices myself!
    have really gone more to the 9 MM , carry especially since I picked up a SIG 365 and a Springer XDS, and of course they replaced my Sig 238 which is still a great weapon and running fine, just limited capacity and less power.
    MY next choice would be one of my 38 Supers, and then a 45 acp.
    got a couple 10's but not really wanting to tote them except for excursions into the Jungles of Atlanta, which I seldom make.
    with the right ammo I am comfortable carrying any of these however.
    Is there a company that makes a .380 as small as the P365 and with the same capacity? The only .380 I own that has a higher capacity is my Bersa Thunder 380 Combat Plus with 15 round magazines, but it's a heck of a lot bigger than my P365.
    olfarhors likes this.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member
    DADDD Member-Dads Against Daughters Dating Democrats

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” — George Orwell

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Sponsored Links