380 has 1/2 energy of 9 mm - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: 380 has 1/2 energy of 9 mm

Member #
    Liked
    4523 times
    That chart pretty much shows why .357 is my favored handgun (revolver).
    357Funtime likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I guess if we are really worried about stopping power we would get a revolver chambered in 45-70. Then it might not put the doped up meth head on the ground.

Member #
    Liked
    25977 times
    I still wouldn't stand in front of one and volunteer to be shot.
    jlewis39 and jwc007 like this.

MOLON LABE
    "Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." ~James Madison

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1154 times
    Compare the .380 to the 38 special. Pretty close. Pocket carry of a Ruger LCP II every day is easier to conceal than a Taurus 85 and has 2 more rounds.
    357Funtime likes this.
    John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
    [The Shootist-1976]

Member #
    Liked
    23441 times
    The Hatcher Theory of Relative Stopping Power is exactly that. A Theory. It is unproven. A lot of people feel it included Hatcher's bias towards larger caliber cartridges. He developed it using his "experience". So he designed a formula that gave him what he thought the answer should be. Many have pointed out that a fast-pitch softball would make an extremely effective defensive weapon according to his formula. His method seems to over-weight diameter.

If you look at a more complete table you'll find values for the .380 that come pretty close to what your list has for the 9mm. Of course there's better values for the 9mm too.

Hatcher's Theory Of Relative Stopping Power
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    8551 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    The Hatcher Theory of Relative Stopping Power is exactly that. A Theory. It is unproven. A lot of people feel it included Hatcher's bias towards larger caliber cartridges. He developed it using his "experience". So he designed a formula that gave him what he thought the answer should be. Many have pointed out that a fast-pitch softball would make an extremely effective defensive weapon according to his formula. His method seems to over-weight diameter.

If you look at a more complete table you'll find values for the .380 that come pretty close to what your list has for the 9mm. Of course there's better values for the 9mm too.

Hatcher's Theory Of Relative Stopping Power
    I wouldn't want Monica Abbott throwing anything at me with ill intentions.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    2474 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Energy matters for projectiles about ~2500fps. At handgun velocities, it's momentum that matters.
    I agree.
    GhostHorse likes this.
    David
    CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours

Vulnerata, Fortis, Dignus Veterani
    كافر. المسلحة. جاهزة
    Only two defining forces ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, & Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
    1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

Member #
    Liked
    28432 times
    while I agree the energy of the handgun is likely not going to drop someone in their tracks from shock, but I believe that that anything that produces shock (pain) to the body has an effect on it, that's why most people don't want to be shot with anything, generally with handgun type power you are waiting on blood loss to do its work, unless you are lucky enough to nick a major nerve center. that why a modern expanding point ammo and multiple rounds seems like the best method for me.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    4523 times

Member #
    Liked
    216 times
    This video changed how I look at .380. Not to be underestimated. Paul doesn't mess around with his testing, and if you're new to him on YT, you're welcome. Yes I'm aware that it's FMJ, and that JHP out of a .380 definitely struggles, out of the predominantly shorter .380 barrels. Still, this test was eye opening as to .380's power.

william and jwc007 like this.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal; It is the Courage to continue, that counts.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links