Suggestions for 9mm defensive rounds - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Suggestions for 9mm defensive rounds

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    There are many options for defensive ammo. Do your research then test several. Shoot what runs reliable and you can manage.

I run Federal HST 147 in my G2c and it cycles great.

As a similar round for practice, I run American Eagle 147 truncated cone.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I pesonally don't carry a 9 much, when I do it's usually a smaller pocket gun, Ruger LC9s Pro or Taurus G2C. I bought a lot of Underwood 124 gr Gold Dot's a few years back, good ammo but likely still better out there now. I do have a FN 509 I could carry IWB, I just don't. I usually carry a XD40 SC, XDS40, or a G2C in 40. Underwood 155 Gr XTP's.

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    A human body today is of the same makeup and mass as one 70 or more years ago - ball ammunition, whether it's .380, .38, .45,. 9mm, .30 was the root cause of death of untold hundreds of thousands of enemy combatants from then until current time many wearing heavier clothing and protective gear than civilians you're likely to encounter in a shooting situation today. Putting the round where it will do the most good is the objective, more important than whether you have +P, HP, Special, fragment, ad nauseum. If you think 115 gr is too light, there's 124 and 147. Save your money -- buy standard ball ammo and practice scenarios you're most likely to find yourself in that "defensive ammo" would be needed. The least practiced, and the most common is from a sitting position where you may have to draw and fire across your body -- think of sitting in your chair in the living room watching TV when someone kicks in the front door, which is to your left. How quickly can you pick up or draw your gun from your right side and shoot the armed intruder standing in the doorway to your left. At the range, sit at right angle to the range and practice that - and how many rounds you can put in the body mass area of the silhouette target....
    U.S. Navy (Retired)1964-1984

Cryptologic Direct Support Operator
    Vietnam Veteran (two tours)

NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Life Member since 1968

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Federal HSTs used to be able to be had in 50 round boxes for about .50 cents a shot. IDK if they are still available that way.

I choose the 124 standard pressure load because it cycles reliably, is accurate in my guns, and is cheap enough I can afford to get some practice with it without breaking the bank.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    3226 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Historyjunkie View Post
    Federal HSTs used to be able to be had in 50 round boxes for about .50 cents a shot. IDK if they are still available that way.
    Yep, you can find them cheaper than that even.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    PT111 G2
    PT92 AFS

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stupimlico View Post
    Yep, you can find them cheaper than that even.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Tell me more. I've been wanting to get a decent amount for awhile.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppe's No. 9 View Post
    Looking for personal experience's with defensive rounds, anyone that's done any testing or done much research if you don't mind giving me some help.

It will be carried in my Taurus g2c, speer gold dot or critical duty, if there's other good options please inform me.

Thanks for your help

I Prefer the Federal HST 147 grain in my PT111G2(s). Have tried many HP options but seem to be most accurate with this round.

Member #
    Liked
    816 times
    Look these tests over. I agree with their results.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...tic-tests/#9mm

This is enough for you to select a solid choice.

Member #
    Liked
    6739 times
    I prefer the Federal HST 124 gr, most 124 Gr JHP will get the job done.
    vboy36 likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31874 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    IMO you don't need to buy any extra rounds for SD, the odd of you actually using your pistol is high but hot lottery high now days, If you use a specific brand\round and are proficient with it then use them when you leave the house. A bullet doesn't know if it's hydro-shock or range but either way I'd bet my pistol it's going to hurt like hell! If I have to shoot someone I really don't want to kill them because they made a stupid decision at the moment.
    Well now, that's where we differ. I wanna kill 'em DEAD and fast as possible to keep them from harming me or mine. Now, so long as they stop attacking me, we're good, but I'd as soon press home the point by killing 'em so they can no longer shoot. If you aren't willing to kill someone, perhaps pepper spray is a better alternative.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links