Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Herter's Ammo

7K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  daveindenver 
#1 ·
For years S&B has made the Herter's handgun ammo for Cabela's. I see that they are now saying that it's made in the US. Any idea who's making the ammo for them now?

#3 ·
#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·
That was 2014. At the end of 2018 and early 2019 they were closing out all their Herter's ammunition, and it was my understanding they were looking for someone new to start producing it again. They still have 10mm available from the old stock and it still shows it was produced by S & B. However, if you look at the new gold (or brown) box stuff, it doesn't say who produces it. I'm guessing because it is NOT S&B. However, it does say "made in the U.S.A.". Does S&B have facilities here?

#6 ·
I pulled this off of a Magtech/CBC Global Ammo website. CBC Global Ammo owns Sellier & Bellot, MEN. and Magtech ammo companies.

"CBC Global Ammunition has its headquarters and three production facilities in Brazil (where Magtech products are made), two factories in Europe – MEN in Germany and Sellier & Bellot in Czech Republic – and one subsidiary in Minnesota – Magtech Ammunition Inc, which acts as a master distributor to the US market."

I checked Cabela's and their Herter's target ammo is made in the USA. Since S&B only has one factory and It's in the Czech Republic, S&B couldn't make Herter's target ammo. But the question is, who does?

#9 ·
I pulled this off of a Magtech/CBC Global Ammo website. CBC Global Ammo owns Sellier & Bellot, MEN. and Magtech ammo companies.

"CBC Global Ammunition has its headquarters and three production facilities in Brazil (where Magtech products are made), two factories in Europe – MEN in Germany and Sellier & Bellot in Czech Republic – and one subsidiary in Minnesota – Magtech Ammunition Inc, which acts as a master distributor to the US market."

I checked Cabela's and their Herter's target ammo is made in the USA. Since S&B only has one factory and It's in the Czech Republic, S&B couldn't make Herter's target ammo. But the question is, who does?
Don't forget that Magtech and a few of the other brands have ammo plants here in the USA.
Well according to CBC Magtech USA is just a distributor for all of its brands in the US. It doesn't look, based on what they say, that they have any manufacturing capabilities in the US.

#7 ·
#11 · (Edited)
I bought lots of the S&B version of Herter's 9mm after I tested it and my guns like it a lot (not dirty and fine POI). Before my big Black Friday killer deal order deal I contacted Cabela's consumer tech support who told me Herter's S&B 9mm, 115, FMJ had PFS = 1297 and MV = 391. Much better #'s than average... sign me up for that. (Mass market ammo #'s are around 1140/335.)

Have more left but not for long. I have not purchased the USA stuff yet to test. Wonder if FPS/MV is the same as the S&B or if those #'s are lower, etc.

Has anyone tried the new stuff? POI happy? Any FPS/MV info on the box?

#13 ·
Originally Posted by morrcarr67
For years S&B has made the Herter's handgun ammo for Cabela's. I see that they are now saying that it's made in the US. Any idea who's making the ammo for them now?

I got a few boxes of the NEW Herters (USA) 9mm delivered. I will compare them with OLD Herters (S&B) soon and post results. My local Cab's still has a bunch of OLD Herters 9mm on the shelf but not the new stuff I ordered online. Well see.

#14 · (Edited)
Shot a box of "old" Herter's by S&B, and a box of 'new" Herters' made in USA with my 995ts.
Shot 10 rounds of old (top pic) then another 10 of new (bottom pic.)
Alternated between the two version every 10 shots until all 100 were shot.
Bench w/ simple support, just 25yrds, Not going for gold... just as consistent as I could get for a simple test.

Icky results. Will test another box of each another day.

Attachments

#16 ·
Bought several boxes of the Herter gold colored boxes in 9 MM.
Worked fine in all my pistols, except my Ruger 9e for some reason.
Had many failure to extract and needed to pry one empty casing out.
Otherwise I had to lock the slide back and drop the mag.
That pistol has never failed to operate 100% with any other 9 MM.
So will not be getting anymore.

#17 ·
Not a good signal for an ammo to fail in firearm that is has otherwise been !00%.

When I purchased my "old" Herters a few days ago the ammo guy said "new" Herters was made by Winchester. WWB (Winchester white box) is not on the A-list for very many shooters. My poor test and your cycle prob... ghost/clones of WWB?

#18 ·
That would tend to confirm the problem. WWB has a somewhat awful reputation for most.
Cleaned the pistol today and used dental floss behind the extractor to be sure all is spotless.
Taking it back to the range tomorrow and will do some more comparisons.
50 rounds of the "new" Herters and 50 rounds of Blazer.
Also taking my Ruger P 93 to see how the Herters works in it.

#19 ·
Well yesterday I went back to the range with my 9e, P 93, G2.& 709. Along with me was my son in law with his Glock 9 mm.
Same thing with the 9e! Failure to extract when using the Herters.
None of the others, mine nor his had any problem.
Just something about that ammo that the Ruger 9e does not like.
Why? I have no idea.

#20 ·
Sounds like operator error.

(The operator shouldn't have bought Herter's gold box.)

I still have lots of the old red box Herter's ammo that I bought last year when they were closing it out. I almost purchased some of the new gold box stuff last week since they were having free shipping. I'm glad I didn't. I'll have to try a box at a time. Unfortunately, they don't have .25 or .32 in the new gold box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.