Problem with Armscor 115 grain 9mm ammo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Problem with Armscor 115 grain 9mm ammo

Member #
    Liked
    35 times

Problem with Armscor 115 grain 9mm ammo

I bought one box, thankfully, of this ammo. It looks like the bullets are seated out too far. They are within spec. My manuals show 1.160 MAX OAL. These measured 1.159. But the bearing surface of the bullet extends out past the case about the thickness of a nickel. My PT92 didn't want to go fully into battery with some of these loads. I ejected a round that hung up. It showed rifling marks on the bullet bearing surface. Glad I didn't buy more. I have 15 rounds left from the box. The problem didn't show up till I'd shot over half the box.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by sknhgy; 10-03-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46622 times
    I have run into certain brands where the bullet ogive did not work well in some of my guns. I have a .380 that has a barrel throat on the small side of spec range and bullets on the large size of the spec range will not chamber. After figuring this out I just learned to avoid certain ammunition and bullets for reloading for that gun. Luckily I have another .380 that consumes what I had just fine.
    jtg452 likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    24929 times
    I have shot hundreds if not thousands of rounds of Armscor Ammunition, never had a problem with it.

Perhaps you should contact Armscor and they may want the partial box back so they can look in to it?

They would likely give you another box for your troubles.

MOLON LABE
    "Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." ~James Madison

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13845 times
    Local L E uses Armscor 9 mm for range work, by the thousands. I have not heard of any complaints.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

Member #
    Liked
    4382 times
    If over all length is within spec the problem is short throat in chamber. The ogive, radius of bullet is in contact with throat before case mouth reaches chamber headspace lip. You have two choices, you can have a reamer ran in and throat opened or avoid ammo with bullets that have the more rounded ogive. For me if it is a carry gun I would have chamber brought into specs. Many hollow point bullets run a more rounded ogive, they will also fail to chamber. As barrels are being run in factories the chamber reamers wear. The throating section of the reamer starts the cut and wears first. The amount of wear needed to cause this problem is only a few thou. Getting it fixed is not rocket science, with barrel out it can be done by hand in a few minutes. Getting factory to do it will depend on the company. Ruger, Smith and some other companies run small throats in revolvers. Most headspace off rim instead of case mouth. For them if you want correct throats it usually falls on you.
    dennisturner and jtg452 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Maybe someone could measure an Armscor 115 grain round and see if it compares to what I'm getting with mine?

Remington 124 grain FMJ measures 1.110 OAL. That's .050 difference with a heavier bullet.

It just looks to me like a lot of bearing surface is sticking out of the case. And I haven't had problems with any other ammo. Even with reloads.
    Last edited by sknhgy; 10-04-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2332 times
    This illustrates perfectly why I don't believe in buying cheap ammo, not even for practice. If you want to save money on shooting, then get into reloading, and even then you buy only high quality materials.

Ammunition manufacturing requires a level of precision which just doesn't lend itself well to cost saving measures, so companies who manufacture bottom dollar ammo typically have issues with quality assurance, and as a result, their ammo lacks consistency not only in terms of reliability, but often times safety as well. ARMSCOR is unfortunately one such company, as I have read numerous reports of case blowouts with their ammo, and that's a shame considering that one of their subsidiaries is Rock Island Armory, which has a fantastic reputation for manufacturing quality firearms offered at relatively low prices.

You can save money by purchasing value-priced firearms and loading your own ammo at home without sacrificing reliability, but buying el cheapo brand ammunition begets diminishing returns, which considering the vital importance of ammo reliability, (not to mention safety) just isn't worth skimping on.

The absolute cheapest ammo that I'll buy is Winchester White Box, and only as a last resort. Folks can talk all they want about how their bargain basement ammo by Aguila, ARMSCOR, Tula, etc has never given them any trouble, and maybe it never will, but personally I would rather minimize the possibility of evoking Murphy's Law by selecting cheap ammo for training/self-defense.
    You all know me, I'm no snob when it comes to firearms, nor do I have tons of disposable income to spend on expensive premium brand ammo, (I've still got a S&W Sigma SW40VE on Layaway at my LGS because I couldn't afford the astronomical upfront cost of $199 + Tax) so this isn't me being your typical repugnant rich-boy elitist who buys a new $1000+ firearm every week then posts pretentious pics of it sitting on the desk of his study besides a bottle of brandy and a steak dinner, (not that there's any one like that here of a places) it's just my personal opinion based on observation.
    ICUKev likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Even before shooting any - The first thing I noticed was it looked like the bullets were seated out too far.
    If no one can provide a measurement of their own Armscor ammo - I'm going to have to take my calipers to the store and measure some on the shelf.
    I don't want to have to do that.
    But I am curious.

Member #
    Liked
    3322 times
    I've read different reviews about their ammo and just haven't bought any as a result (too many mixed reviews). I don't mine cheaper priced ammo for the range though.
    Life is full of give and take. Give thanks and take nothing for granted!

Member #
    Liked
    24929 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    Even before shooting any - The first thing I noticed was it looked like the bullets were seated out too far.
    If no one can provide a measurement of their own Armscor ammo - I'm going to have to take my calipers to the store and measure some on the shelf.
    I don't want to have to do that.
    But I am curious.
    You stated in your initial post that they were within the length specified for the ammo.

Someone specifically mentioned that if the bullets were within length specifications and were still hitting your chamber then your chamber is likely out of specifications.

I understand you are wanting to blame this ammo but you have already answered your own question.
    TheOldRedneck likes this.

MOLON LABE
    "Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." ~James Madison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links