Question re: HSM Cowboy loads
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Question re: HSM Cowboy loads

Member #
    Liked
    518 times

Question re: HSM Cowboy loads

I'm thinking of settling on these as a fun/pleasure shooting round, HSM Cowboy Action 44Mag 240gr Hard Cast Lead Semi Wadcutters:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018135345

They are smoky, but I'm ok with that (I've tried them in .44 special).

As they aren't jacketed, I have a concern re: leading of the barrel. I've done some net snooping and found a few forum comments that leading is not a problem with these rounds (they're hard cast). Went to the HSM site and didn't find a mention of it. So looking for a little more consensus before I plunk down the $$$.

Anyone has experience with these rounds re: leading or not?

TIA~
    777Driver likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5810 times
    If they are properly cast to the correct hardness it won't be a problem. Millions of people wouldn't be shooting those rounds if there were an issue. Having said that I did do some research on cleaners and ended up choosing this one as being good for lead deposits. I figure it can't hurt to be thorough.

Name:  jb.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  144.7 KB
    Last edited by TonyC2639; 08-29-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    Thanks, Tony, and thanks also for the lead cleaner advice - been shooting for a few years, but I need to know more about these issues, and specific recommendations are very helpful.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46469 times
    Not sure about their Cowboy loads, I use the HSM Bear Loads in my .500 S&W when I really want to feel the recoil. Never a problem with them.
    Valjean likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    4338 times
    Used a Lewis lead remover for years to remove lead from revolver barrels. They work great. Now buy Chore boy copper scrubbers, cut up in strips wrap bore brush and clean bore. Pulls all the lead out.
    Valjean, jtg452 and TonyC2639 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    Oops, posted in wrong section

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46469 times
    Moved to ammo.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    21808 times
    I shot their Cowboy action loads in 45 colt until I started reloading for that caliber. Never had a problem with them in my Pietta SAA. haven't even chambered a round in my Big boy brass in 45 colt so I can't address that part. I think I still have 1/2 a box left to test with.
    Valjean likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20036 times
    I’ve been shooting cast lead 44 Mag for over 40 years. In fact, my dad and I cast these and loaded them ourselves. No, we didn’t do QA or hardness standards - just melted wheel weights. With routine maintenance, never encountered any “leading” problems. I’ve read that with modern day cleaners and lubes there is very low risk of corrosion and local leading problems. I go so far as to shoot lead loads in polygonal rifled barrels.

i really think you should be OK.
    Valjean likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    Appreciate the replies - thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links