• 3 Post By Peacemakr40
  • 1 Post By jtg452
  • 2 Post By Flash60601

Thread: Question re: 2 brands of .44 Magnum ammo

Member #
    Liked
    518 times

Question re: 2 brands of .44 Magnum ammo

Quick question re: 2 brands of .44 Magnum ammo. Wondering if they are similarly powered:

- Winchester White Box 240gr sjhp

- American Eagle 240gr sjhp

Their muzzle energy/velocity numbers are pretty similar, and at the low end of what is generally available. But when I shot the Winchesters today, they kicked MUCH harder than other rounds I tried whose energy/velocity numbers were a fair bit higher.

Later today, I saw that my LGS got in the American Eagles (muzzle energy 805/velocity 1230). I thought about trying them, then remembered how I thought the Winchesters would be lighter rounds, due to their lower numbers (741/1180) but were so strong I won't be using them.

Anyone shot both? Are they similarly powered? I don't want to waste the $$$ on a box of AE's if they are similar to or more powerful than the Wins.

PS - is it correct to guess-timate how hard a round will kick if you compare same-weight rounds by their muzzle energy and velocity numbers?
    777Driver likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    21807 times
    The velocities and projectiles are very similar and there's a definitive spike in the felt recoil, that would indicate a completely different powder being used and generally one that burns faster for the initial thump. you can probably verify that by seeing how dirty the barrel is after firing each type and having someone else record video of the muzzle flash. Bigger fireball, slower powder.
    jtg452, Valjean and Flash60601 like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    7539 times
    What Peacemaker said.

The numbers can be identical and felt recoil can be completely different with different powders.
    Valjean likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    Interesting - did not have any idea about powders. Learn something new every day.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    1453 times
    You will only have a good baseline when you shoot the same loads out of your same gun over a chrony. Then, an accurate evaluation against perceived recoil will become a valid factor in your own experience. Powder makes All the difference.

there was a day when we assembled "triplex" loads for the 44 Mag, loads consisting of first, three grains of Bullseye in the bottom of the case as an igniting charge, then a massive quantity of some "slow-as-springtime" rifle powder in the middle, with 7 grains of Unique as a kicker on top of that. (They developed the 454 Casul in the same method, with an awful lot of blow guns in the prodess) Recoil then perceived was often very subjective to noise and blast. That was more of a walk on the edge as it was a day at the range, however, modern powders have made such sort of flirting with the dark angel of death a practice one no longer need experiment with.

Edited to add: "Observed fireball being bigger" and "perceived recoil being gentler" generally mean less stress on the gun. ergo: longer life for gun, greater pleasure in shooting.
    Last edited by Flash60601; 08-27-2019 at 07:25 PM.
    Valjean and Peacemakr40 like this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    518 times
    Just a follow-up from before.

I received 2 different ammos the other day, the 44 Magnum 240gr HSM Cowboy loads, and some 44 Magnum CCI Blazer Aluminum 240gr.

Much to my surprise, the Blazer was softer shooting than the Cowboy loads. No problem ejecting the aluminum cases. I've also now put a variety of .44 Special loads through the gun (S&W 29-2, 6"), and they are all pussycats.

Just a heads up re: the 2 cartridges mentioned above that someone might find useful.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links