Which of these two .357 Magnum rounds would be best for defense against a black bear? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Which of these two .357 Magnum rounds would be best for defense against a black bear?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    I would only go camping in Bear country when my wife had an ankle, foot, leg injury myself, or invite a much older, slower neighbor to go with you.
    just my 2 Cents.
    I was in Yellowstone about ten years ago. I had walked up a little closer to get my picture than a group of people taking pictures of a large male grizzle that was eating greens in a meadow off one of the roads. When i came back past the group someone said "you must run fast" i replied not as fast as the bear but faster than one of you. They let out a little nervous laughter.
    Last edited by Ickthus; 03-19-2019 at 04:26 PM.
    gregbert, olfarhors and Sawfish like this.

Member #
    Liked
    97 times
    Just remember that grizzlies get pee-ohed when you graze them.

If they are standing in front of you, they tend to growl before they attack. When they open their mouth, calm yourself and put the round in the roof of their mouth, to penetrate the pallet and the brain.

Then go change your shorts, buy a round and begin the bragging. 🥃
    57K, GhostHorse and DA-Auto like this.

Member #
    Liked
    26963 times
    Never shot at or shot or been confronted with grizzly--really any brown bear is generally a lot different story than a Black bear.
    very few of our Black bears are much over 200 pounds, most well under that.
    I have hunted Boar, both russsian and german descendents from the ones brought over by Vanderbilt from the ground.
    they run about the same size and weight and I ain't hunting them with no 357 mag personally.
    wild things can cover a lot of ground extremely fast and not exactly easy to hit when charging either.
    the last Boar I killed weighted in at 350 lbs plus a tad, took 4 rounds from a 41 mag with my hand loads to finally put him down, but he easily got into my comfort zone after the first 2 rounds, one standing one charging.
    a third shot was made as he charged and ran by me (yea I can dodge pretty good) the a final dispatch shot after eh ran out of blood and was resting against a pine tree.
    now I will point out that a boar does nor have claws and can't really get o your head or throat unless you are laying down--the reason for being able to weave and dodge that was mentioned earlier.
    as I am now 71 and can't run and dodge as fast as I could I don't hunt such things as I don't want to be the slow guy that we have been talking about be it bears or boars!
    Stroker likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31187 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    Never shot at or shot or been confronted with grizzly--really any brown bear is generally a lot different story than a Black bear.
    very few of our Black bears are much over 200 pounds, most well under that.
    I have hunted Boar, both russsian and german descendents from the ones brought over by Vanderbilt from the ground.
    they run about the same size and weight and I ain't hunting them with no 357 mag personally.
    wild things can cover a lot of ground extremely fast and not exactly easy to hit when charging either.
    the last Boar I killed weighted in at 350 lbs plus a tad, took 4 rounds from a 41 mag with my hand loads to finally put him down, but he easily got into my comfort zone after the first 2 rounds, one standing one charging.
    a third shot was made as he charged and ran by me (yea I can dodge pretty good) the a final dispatch shot after eh ran out of blood and was resting against a pine tree.
    now I will point out that a boar does nor have claws and can't really get o your head or throat unless you are laying down--the reason for being able to weave and dodge that was mentioned earlier.
    as I am now 71 and can't run and dodge as fast as I could I don't hunt such things as I don't want to be the slow guy that we have been talking about be it bears or boars!
    I may be slow afoot, but I'm fast on the trigger. Sure, I hunt boar. There's so many of 'em around here and they're open season and good eaten. But, boar can't climb. I'll either shoot 'em from a tree stand or my box blind. It gets interesting when, in the dark, I have to blood trail with my Ruger .45 Colt. That can get me a little nervous.

Texans killed out the black bear 100 years ago, though there are reports of 'em coming back to east Texas. There's a small population in Big Bend Nat'l Park. I worry more about the mountain lions out there. But, I'm too old and infirm to hike rough country anymore.
    57K likes this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    96 times
    I have never put a bullet in a bear in self-defense or defense of others and I hope I never do.

First, a thumbnail of “black bears and you.” This is not intended to sound preachy. I have backpacked the Colorado Rockies and the Idaho Backcountry since 1971 and have had no worrying encounters with bears. I have experience and opinions, but don’t claim expertise.

In Idaho I carried my Marlin .45-70 for years where brown bears were the greater danger. To lighten my trail weight as I aged, I looked for a suitable handgun and settled on a Hamilton Bowen-modified Ruger Redhawk in .500 Linebaugh. This was because hunting guides there said that if I carried a .44 Magnum, I should be sure to file down the front sight so it won’t hurt as much when the bear shoves it up my a##.

I carried .44 Magnums in the Colorado Rockies since the mid-‘70s. These included a S&W 29, a 629, and a Colt Anaconda. The Anaconda had a six-inch barrel and was the easier to shoot well, so it became my primary trail gun.

I firmly believed I needed a .44 Magnum for black bears.

Then, for the first time in 20+ years of ‘packing the Rockies, I encountered a forest ranger. Two of them, fishing. Both retired. Both had violent confrontations with black bears. Soooo, what was the gun they used? Ruger .40S&W. They said that was plenty for black bears.

I didn’t want to carry a semi-auto.

John Taffin is the go-to guy for revolver loads. Some years ago he said a 240-grain .44 at ~1,000 fps muzzle velocity was plenty for any animal in the Lower Forty-eight.

He also had advice for .357 Magnum trail loads. I’ve rummaged all over the internet, but can’t find the data he published, even on his website: John Taffin's SIXGUNS.COM .

Here’s what I think I remember of them: I don’t want to put words in his mouth, but I seem to remember he favoured a 180-gr WFN-L (GC?) at 1,200 fps or so. I think he used a Single-Action Army or clone, with a five-inch barrel. If anyone finds a link to his .357 Magnum loads, please post it. His words are far better than mine.

He was saying, I think, that if well-placed, it was plenty for black bears.

“Well placed” is a common qualification. Many have said that even a head-shot on a black bear is questionable because even a magnum-power bullet may not penetrate. I’ve seen recommendations to shoot the shoulder. The theory is that breaking the shoulder gives you time to compose an effective head-shot.

I suggest you practice that, a lot. Here’s one way that is also fun:

Build a box-frame square 2-feet X 2-feet and put six-inch castering wheels under it. Cut two, 2-inch PVC pipes to about 18 inches and glue them into the top of the frame, on opposite sides. You are building a rolling target stand. Put two furring strips in them, to a height of five feet, tack a sheet of cardboard to them and a target of a charging bear. Alternatively, just draw an outline of a bear on it, being sure to emphasize the head and shoulders/claws. Tie a rope through two adjacent corners of the frame and tie another one of about 50 feet long through it.

Then, while you pretend you are walking blithely on a trail with your back to the target, have a friend start towing it toward you at a good clip. S/he then yells “GRRRR”, which is your cue to turn, recognize the threat, and shoot. The target keeps coming until you run out of ammo (six shots, max) or it hits you. Take a look at where your hits landed.

Practice. A lot.

I handloaded an Oregon Trail Laser-Cast 180-gr RNFP over 12.5-grains of Winchester 296, or, if I could get them, 200-gr WFN-GC bullets over 12.2-grains of 296. Expect about 1,200 to 1,300 fps from a six-inch barrel. WORK UP TO THEM, VERY CAREFULLY! These are max loads.

The two retired forest rangers were in a desperate fix when they were attacked. On was up a tree and the bear was gnawing on his foot and raking his leg with its claws when he emptied his .40S&W into it.

The other got a report of an aggressive bear around trash dumpsters near Bailey, (I think) Colorado. The bear was not visible when he got there and witnesses said it had wandered on. Well, it hadn’t, and all he had was his Ruger when it became threatening. He said he wounded the bear enough to stop its charge, and then gave it a coup to the head.

In 40 years of ‘packing the Colorado Rockies I had only one moment with a bear, and I never saw it. As we set up camp near a lake we heard “woofing” on the other side of a low ridge. That is NOT what you want to hear from a bear. We gathered together to present that “bigger threat” if the bear appeared, but it didn’t and we camped without incident.

The next day we saw a porcupine that had been well worked-over. The bear probably had a snoot-full of spines and was woofing as much out of pain as concern about us. If it had attacked, two forty-fours would have greeted it.

My opinion about commercial .357 Magnum ammo: Either the 180-gr or 200-gr bullet at the published velocities will do the job. I suggest shooting them both, side-by-side, alternating in the cylinder. Pick the one you shoot best. I’ll tell you, that four-inch barrel will kick hard.

And practice. A lot.
    jtg452 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Your chances of running into a bear in Indiana are pretty remote. The species was pretty much wiped out in the 1800's. I think three have been seen since the turn of last century and two were killed. You are FAR more likely to be preyed on by humans or feral dogs with a cougar placing a distant third.

Member #
    Liked
    763 times

Member #
    Liked
    486 times
    Montana Grizzly Bear Notice:

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Montana Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field. We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle the bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop is smaller and contains a lot of berry seeds and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it and smells like pepper.
    daytonaredeye likes this.
    Several firearms in 10 different calibers. Lee Classic 4-hole turret and Lee breech-lock single stage.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20965 times
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gbusmech; 03-23-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    57K, olfarhors and jwc007 like this.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20965 times
    My preference of suitable handgun bear loads.

Name:  ammo_pic_zpsbd12a3b5.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  615.6 KB
    Last edited by gbusmech; 03-23-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links