Federal 9mm 150 Gr HST - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Federal 9mm 150 Gr HST

Member #
    Liked
    21067 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 57K View Post
    I agrre with Peacemakr40, it was probably just coincidental to production, anyway. 147 or 150 grs., if you really want to be impressed, test a 147 or 150 gr. Gold Dot or HST above the super-sonic velocity that is around 1120 FPS at sea-level. I just load mine to 1125 FPS and the results are . . . wicked. Perfect medicene for the wicked that would do you harm!

Just remember that if you make such a load, it has to be tested to ensure that the projectile used is up to the challenge! In my tests using those wicked 1-gallon water jugs have shown that both the 147 gr. Gold Dot and HST are capable. And if you use a powder like AA #7 or V-V 3N38, while they may be Major Power Factor at 165 or above, it can be done without exceeding the standard pressure rating for the 9 x 19mm, 35,000 PSI/33,000 CUP.
    Now you've got me curious as to what barrel length you've been testing those jug killers out of.
    57K likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    969 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    Now you've got me curious as to what barrel length you've been testing those jug killers out of.
    Thought I'd already done that in another thread, LOL!

In V-V's case, it was their 4" test barrel. With my handloads, the pistol with the shortest barrel was a Ruger SR9. After I bought the TP9sa with it's 4.47" barrel and hearing from the US Distributor, CAI that it was rated for +P loads, I fired those same rounds from the Canik and they chrono'd around 1175 FPS with the Hornady 147 gr. XTP, the only 147 I've tested personally that would stand up to that much velocity. And, consequently, the bullet V-V used in their data, with velocity rated from their pressure barrel, and the last time that V-V published pressure rated data, with this particular recipe being in it, 33,000 PSI/CIP was the pressure max they limited themselves to.

Before anyone gets nervous about that, simply go to the Lapua site for V-V load data. But before you go, and after posting this about a gazillion times, the SAAMI MAP for the 9 X 19mm is 35,000 PSI/33,000 CUP and 33,000 PSI/CIP is lower then either.
    Last edited by 57K; 04-09-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    25417 times
    do you have soft water or hard water that you use in the Milk Jugs???
    MYself i have hard water but add detergent into it, we need to get our water calibrated for proper comparisons!!!
    seriously I do not test at anywhere near the level that 57 does, But I typically use a pistol that is of standard barrel length for the caliber that I have--45 acp-typically 4-5 inch, CZ typically about 4 1/2 inch, same with the Tanfoglio.
    4 inch or so for most all the others.
    I just rely on projectile performance , not so much speed or penetration per say as I am interested in what the particular projectile does in MY guns that I tote.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    969 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    do you have soft water or hard water that you use in the Milk Jugs???
    MYself i have hard water but add detergent into it, we need to get our water calibrated for proper comparisons!!!
    seriously I do not test at anywhere near the level that 57 does, But I typically use a pistol that is of standard barrel length for the caliber that I have--45 acp-typically 4-5 inch, CZ typically about 4 1/2 inch, same with the Tanfoglio.
    4 inch or so for most all the others.
    I just rely on projectile performance , not so much speed or penetration per say as I am interested in what the particular projectile does in MY guns that I tote.
    There's nothing wrong with looking at performance first. Even before I knew Charles Schwartz, I'd established a personal criteria for penetration, and that was with the factory loaded White-box 230 gr. JHP at around 850 FPS. If it wasn't so late I'd look it up. Anyone afraid to carry that load?

But here's the deal. The Clear Ballistics gel will not get you the same resuls as calibrated 10% ordnance gel which is exactly what the FBI uses. And while I've never pressed him on which dept., Charles Schwartz is a retired federal LE officer, even though he's younger and better looking than I am. With over 800 direct comparisons with loads fired into water compared to the 10%, calibrated. ordnance gel with the results after his calculation method is over 95% accurate. Meaning, that if one isn't too lazy to collect the necessary data, which is easily done, they can get the the performance data they want with a probability for accuracy above 95%.

So excuse me while I take a nap. When someone comes along with a better way, with greater accuracy probability than that, please wake me up after the infantile jokes.
    Last edited by 57K; 04-10-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links