Federal 9mm 150 Gr HST - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Federal 9mm 150 Gr HST

Member #
    Liked
    26486 times
    I would need to look up the exact barrel twist in my 38 Supers?
    I don't believe 1/16 though??
    that doesn't sound right but who knows?
    they are all from 4.5 inch to 5 inch barrels though.
    wouldn't mind having a long slide (6 incher) if it was ramped (fully supported) though to do some steel shooting.
    as I mentioned at 71 my accuracy is beginning to diminish ( not the guns) so I can't tell a lot of difference in the 115/124/147 out to 25 yards myself.
    I haven't been into absoulete accuracy since my rifle days and a little bench shooting and the Thompson Contender loadings.
    Minute of bad guy serves my purpose and personally I find it more enjoyable than the chasing absoulete accuracy now days.
    the info now days is interesting however, we have came a long way in the last 50 years.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    984 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    I would need to look up the exact barrel twist in my 38 Supers?
    I don't believe 1/16 though??
    that doesn't sound right but who knows?
    they are all from 4.5 inch to 5 inch barrels though.
    wouldn't mind having a long slide (6 incher) if it was ramped (fully supported) though to do some steel shooting.
    as I mentioned at 71 my accuracy is beginning to diminish ( not the guns) so I can't tell a lot of difference in the 115/124/147 out to 25 yards myself.
    I haven't been into absoulete accuracy since my rifle days and a little bench shooting and the Thompson Contender loadings.
    Minute of bad guy serves my purpose and personally I find it more enjoyable than the chasing absoulete accuracy now days.
    the info now days is interesting however, we have came a long way in the last 50 years.
    Or check your data which likely came from a 1 in 16" twist barrel. It's SAAMI spec, JMB's as well, for the .38 Super.
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    925 times
    147 gr vs 150 gr...there is always that person wanting more to be better....... but 3 gr difference? come on now, really?
    Flash60601 and olfarhors like this.
    "She said her name was Emergency and asked to see my gun....said her telephone number was 911"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mark7mod0 View Post
    147 gr vs 150 gr...there is always that person wanting more to be better....... but 3 gr difference? come on now, really?
    Now THERE is a question for a historian with some time on his hands: "Why was 147 grains selected as a defacto standard weight for 9mm bullets instead of 150? Why 124 instead of 125?"

Aren't you just dying to know?

Flash
    mark7mod0 and 57K like this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    984 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash60601 View Post
    Now THERE is a question for a historian with some time on his hands: "Why was 147 grains selected as a defacto standard weight for 9mm bullets instead of 150? Why 124 instead of 125?"

Aren't you just dying to know?

Flash
    The Europeans weigh their bullets in grams vs grains. 124 gr. bullets, for example, weigh 8 grams. I'd have to look to remember the weight in grams for the 147/150, but at only 3 grs. difference, something in manufacturing or design must have determined the 150 gr. Weight. This is the practical weight limit for 9 x 19mm, IMO.
    xiholdtruex and GhostHorse like this.

Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    Does not look like a bad round, my only concern would be in a auto loading pistol you would be running through quite some money to run a couple hundred rounds through it to make sure it cycles through the gun well. I personally like to carry the rem umc jhp green and white box its cheap enough that I could cycle it through all my guns and magazines and feel confident it will perform. May grab a few boxes of this for my wifes ec9s to try the rem give her a bit too much recoil and she has trouble with her grip at times.

Member #
    Liked
    21590 times
    Doesn't seem to make much sense when they already make a 147 gr HST. Only thing I can think of is the older dies were getting sloppy results after a billion or so rounds so they cleaned them up and ran a few tests to show they're closer to 150 gr now
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    26486 times
    yea, the extra 3 grains I don't think makes a lot of difference, they either wanted a slightly longer projectile, they wanted it to stand out vs the 147 grain most others make would be my guess?
    kind of like the 130 grain VS the 124 grain in 38 Super VS 9 MM, nothing to worry about or be plus or minus I say.
    the brand has a very good reputation in Jell-o test however, I am sure this one will be the same.
    57K likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    736 times
    Performance with 150 gr HST is similar to the 147 gr ballistic tests which is a good thing. The tests are excellent & it is a great 9mm defense round.

Member #
    Liked
    984 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    yea, the extra 3 grains I don't think makes a lot of difference, they either wanted a slightly longer projectile, they wanted it to stand out vs the 147 grain most others make would be my guess?
    kind of like the 130 grain VS the 124 grain in 38 Super VS 9 MM, nothing to worry about or be plus or minus I say.
    the brand has a very good reputation in Jell-o test however, I am sure this one will be the same.
    I agrre with Peacemakr40, it was probably just coincidental to production, anyway. 147 or 150 grs., if you really want to be impressed, test a 147 or 150 gr. Gold Dot or HST above the super-sonic velocity that is around 1120 FPS at sea-level. I just load mine to 1125 FPS and the results are . . . wicked. Perfect medicene for the wicked that would do you harm!

Just remember that if you make such a load, it has to be tested to ensure that the projectile used is up to the challenge! In my tests using those wicked 1-gallon water jugs have shown that both the 147 gr. Gold Dot and HST are capable. And if you use a powder like AA #7 or V-V 3N38, while they may be Major Power Factor at 165 or above, it can be done without exceeding the standard pressure rating for the 9 x 19mm, 35,000 PSI/33,000 CUP.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links