Do You Have a .380 SD Recommendation? - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Do You Have a .380 SD Recommendation?

Member #
    Liked
    1274 times
    I alternate rounds in my mag of fmj and Cor-Bon DPX
    coopercdrkey likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    22972 times
    I carry Magtech 95 gr JHP in my 380s. Cannot speak to the ballistics results of my own experience but they always go bang and that is about the most important feature I care about in this little cartridge.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

"To own firearms is to affirm that freedom is not a gift from government...As the Founding Fathers knew well, a government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust."

The possession of arms by the people is the ultimate warrant that government governs only with the consent of the governed.

Member #
    Liked
    5034 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    I carry Magtech 95 gr JHP in my 380s. Cannot speak to the ballistics results of my own experience but they always go bang and that is about the most important feature I care about in this little cartridge.
    Solid, indisputable reasoning. that's support of similar to mine for the Hornady. They go bang every time and they feed every time.
    230JHP likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4455 times
    May 2020 find you safe, happy and healthy!
    Vote for the preservation of our Constitution!
    Keep
    America Great - TRUMP 2020!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    2174 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gbusmech View Post
    I have some Winchester SD rounds with fragmenting bullets that look like the tip of a Philips Screwdriver. They seen to do as designed in wet magazines.
    Keep your magazines DRY, dude. You don't want to risk rust, do you?
    olfarhors likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7763 times
    coopercdrkey likes this.
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Member #
    Liked
    984 times
    Well, you can shoot all the jell blocks you want; it does not represent the true penetration found in the human body. first off, there are no bones in the jell to get in the way. And most especially with 1 to 3 pieces of cloth in front of it. With the small caliber hand guns like the 380, 32, 22, etc.. you must have penetration to get through the heart and if the heart is missed then to the spine. You will not achieve this using hollow points or any fragmenting bullets most of the time. Therefore, continue to use the FMJ; most especially in the winter time due to extra heavy/thick clothing. Now, if you are good enough to place your shot in the head, then any bullet you want to use will do the job.
    MOONDAWG and HappyTom like this.

Just a taste of the candy!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3661 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankercorps71 View Post
    Well, you can shoot all the jell blocks you want; it does not represent the true penetration found in the human body. first off, there are no bones in the jell to get in the way. And most especially with 1 to 3 pieces of cloth in front of it. With the small caliber hand guns like the 380, 32, 22, etc.. you must have penetration to get through the heart and if the heart is missed then to the spine. You will not achieve this using hollow points or any fragmenting bullets most of the time. Therefore, continue to use the FMJ; most especially in the winter time due to extra heavy/thick clothing. Now, if you are good enough to place your shot in the head, then any bullet you want to use will do the job.
    That's interesting. I use FMJ because they are cheaper, but hey, now I can say it is to defeat clothing. Would it make sense to alternate FMJ's and JHP's in the magazine? I assume many use JHP's so they don't go through (as many) walls. I assume during stress that shots will go in all different directions and many may not hit an aggressor. The scenario I run thorough my head is shooting down the stairwell from my second story bedroom, so I assume mine will go to ground. Sure, there may be a ricochet (pardon my French) but that's my thought on the subject.

Member #
    Liked
    11222 times
    Actually, there is little difference between premium bullets. What is more important is whether the ammo you are using is accurate, shoots to your point of aim (POA=POI), and functions reliably in your pistol with you firing it. Most of these little autos are very personal in how they work, and how well they work and how accurate they are is entirely dependent on how you hold them and your ability to control the trigger.

In general with fixed sights, you can move the point of impact (POI) by changing bullet weight. Heavier bullets shoot higher and lighter bullets impact lower. If you are getting left or right windage and it is not trigger control/hold related, changing manufacturers/brand (even when using the same bullet) can often bring POI back to POA.

"Magic bullets" are only effective if you hit where you aim. I put accuracy over "magic bullet" every time. My 738 loves Remmie 88 grain JHP, only I haven't seen any locally for years. I think I have one mag of those Remmies left so I carry 90 grain Speer Gold Dots because it shoots almost as accurate as the Remmies, and I have a good supply of those on hand.

I would not worry about expansion or penetration with a .380 auto. Most won't have the velocity to expand much, so they are going to penetrate more. I generally don't carry FMJ because they are typically loaded light by just about every manufacturer (around 15,000-17,000 psi) while most modern hollow point, copper, and other specialty bullets are loaded close to SAMMI max psi (21,500 psi).

Living in the South, I don't worry about heavy down jackets clogging the hollow points either. In fact, if they don't go down after a double tap to the chest, next shot is either to the head or the legs, depending on the situation. If I have an exit, it is to the legs so I can at least out run them. No exit, it is a head shot.

And I practice head shots at 25 feet, standing, one hand hold, unsupported, rapid fire with mag change (2 mags, 13 rounds)

Name:  FxCam_1301412768483.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  231.1 KB
    Last edited by GreenWolf70; 01-09-2019 at 01:30 AM.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    7780 times
    Hornady 90 grn XTP in both TCP and Bersa T380.

Have never had feed problems with either one.
    coopercdrkey likes this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

"The greater part of mankind . . . walk blindfolded in this glorious theater." John Calvin

We will continue to make our republic the inspiration, the glory, and the envy of the rest of the world. As long as we are confident in our values, loyal to our citizens, and faithful to our God, there is no limit to what we can achieve. ​President Donald J. Trump, Feb 29, 2020.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links