Do You Have a .380 SD Recommendation? - Page 10
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Do You Have a .380 SD Recommendation?

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    i use hornady criticals in my bodyguard
    BigBlue likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    458 times
    Sometimes these caliber/bullet design wars start to sound like little old ladies moaning and cursing when someone else yells Bingo! LOL

Crikey boys and girls! None of us are likely to be headed into any war zone firefights, let alone EVER fire our handgun in self defense.

Just go buy some boolits that fit the thing, practice till your rounds always go where you want them, and be secure knowing you've done enough to be 'ready'.
    Several firearms in 10 different calibers. Lee Classic 4-hole turret and Lee breech-lock single stage.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Member #
    Liked
    3363 times
    My Taurus TCP is loaded with Underwood 90gr XTP ,, I have alot of carry choices but the TCP fills a role , BUG , pocket carry .. the 380acp is adequate .. heck I have carried a 32acp ... A Glock 27 is my EDC .. But at times The 27 is just a bit big .. I have a Glock 43 which is secondary and warmer weather... But still the TCP is smaller and lighter and is flat and is almost unnoticeable in my front pocket .. and as others have mentioned the XTP and Hornady FTX bullets seem to perform well in gel tests ... My little TCP digests Winchester FNFMJ .. Which I carry at times during colder weather when bad guys/ thugs may wear heavier than normal layers of clothing.. to make sure optimum penetration is met ..

This UW 100gr Hardcast at 975fps maybe a good choice also
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Buckeye!; 01-28-2019 at 09:42 PM.
    BigBlue likes this.
    Taurus Family
    TCP
    Heritage 22/22 Mag

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19386 times
    Please review the OP. Keep your posts confined to 380 ACP SD recommendations. This thread came off the rails with a caliber war that the OP requested specifically to stay away from.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    I see that this thread is relatively old (before I joined this forum), but I thought I'd toss in my comments anyway.

I also conceal-carry a very compact .380ACP pistol. I've tried a few different self-defense cartridges, and found the best results in terms of shootability and control (gotta be able to hit your mark, regardless of terminal ballistics) have been with the Ruger ARX rounds. All I've been able to learn show that these rounds have a very different (and very effective) terminal results compared to "traditional" hollow-point projectiles. One thing I like is their tendency to fragment when striking hard objects, thus diminishing unwanted results if they pass through walls and such (if they get that far after expending their energy in a human target). Thankfully, I have not had to find out for myself in real-life self-defense use, but based on my own research and some unscientific testing, I'm confident enough to carry it.
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.
    Robert

Coatesville, PA USA (Suburban Philadelphia)

NRA Patriot "Patron" Life Member

Amateur Radio Call Sign: KB3ZIM

Major Italian Car and Italian Firearm Fan!

Member #
    Liked
    2206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbr3 View Post
    I see that this thread is relatively old (before I joined this forum), but I thought I'd toss in my comments anyway.

I also conceal-carry a very compact .380ACP pistol. I've tried a few different self-defense cartridges, and found the best results in terms of shootability and control (gotta be able to hit your mark, regardless of terminal ballistics) have been with the Ruger ARX rounds. All I've been able to learn show that these rounds have a very different (and very effective) terminal results compared to "traditional" hollow-point projectiles. One thing I like is their tendency to fragment when striking hard objects, thus diminishing unwanted results if they pass through walls and such (if they get that far after expending their energy in a human target). Thankfully, I have not had to find out for myself in real-life self-defense use, but based on my own research and some unscientific testing, I'm confident enough to carry it.
    Hey, most of the guys on here are old, so no problem with me if you are reviving an old thread. I've never understood the hysteria some have over posting on an old thread. Sure, in a technical forum where a question has been asked and answered, it is unproductive to post a new question, but in something like this where people are weighing in on their thoughts, it seems reasonable to me. Of course, I'm just another lesser opinion on the Internet, so what do I know!
    Last edited by DeltaBravoKS; 08-14-2019 at 07:30 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    26499 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    Hey, most of the guys on here are old, so no problem with me if you are reviving an old thread. I've never understood the hysteria some have over posting on an old thread. Sure, in a technical forum where a question has been asked and answered, it is unproductive to post a new question, but in something like this where people are weighing in on their thoughts, it seems reasonable to me. Of course, I'm just another lesser opinion on the Internet, so what do I know!
    well for me personally, its not that I mind reposting old-old post but I am afraid of what comes out of the grave with those old post!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    294 times
    I use Sig V Crown ammo in my .380 for SD. It is very accurate and is 100% reliable in my pistol, which is a Sig. I have also tried it in my other .380 pistols and it cycled through every one of them "like corn through a goose". The Sig is a fairly small pistol, so I carry it appendix style in an On Your Six Kydex holster. I have other larger and more powerful pistols, but many times leave them at home due to weight and concealability considerations.
    william likes this.
    "A man can never have too many good books, too much red wine, or too many rounds of ammunition": Rudyard Kipling

NRA Patron Member; Life Member SCI, RMEF, NSRPA, NAHH, CRPA; Member FTRA, HHI, Winchester Collectors Assn.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16451 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Don’t look now but the .380 ACP IS a military and LE round.
    So is the 32acp.

I've been loading for the 380 since I first started shooting it. What works best? For FMJ, it's whatever's on sale. For SD? Hornady 90 and 100 grain XTP or Sierra 90 gr HP. They were on sale too. The only self defense ammo I ever bought for 380 was some Golden Saber, which I don't think they even make anymore.

What works best depends on your pistol. The high dollar stuff, that's the latest thing, may not even feed in your gun. The old saying about opinions is still valid, so go out and shoot a bunch of different brands (in answer to the OP's question), figure out what does and doesn't work, and buy it. Personally, I'd recommend trying the "sale" ammo first.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    10585 times
    LOL, my 738 absolutely loves, as in shoots tiny little groups, Rem/UTC 88 grain JHP. When I bought that 738, those cartridges were so cheap you could use them for both SD and practice. Now I hardly ever see them and when I do the price is too high. I carry with Speer 90 grain Gold Dots and just about any .380 Auto ammo with 90 grain XTPs, and of course my own reloads with 90 grain XTPs.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links