Factory Loads for 2" Taurus Model 85 UL

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Factory Loads for 2" Taurus Model 85 UL

Hello everyone. Brand new to the forum. I shoot .45 autos, but just purchased a Taurus .38 SPL Model 85 UL with a 2" barrel for my female significant other. Cannot believe how light this gun is...I think it says 17 ounces. Anyway, I am curious to know from some of the local "experts" who know more about these guns than I do, what they would recommend with regard to a good practice/target/shoot 'em up ammo, and then some recommendations on what you might recommend with regard to a good factory load that has good stopping power, will not damage my firearm and is not too difficult by a female in such a light firearm. I carry Gold Dots in m .45 but thought I would ask some recommendations from some people who know more about short barreled suubbies than I do. As a side note, I am told by the manufacturer (today on the phone) that this gun is +P rated....hard to believe as light as it is but any comments on that also, or should I stick to something non +P in this ultralight. Thanks very much and stay safe.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Factory Loads for 2" Taurus Model 85 UL

Welcome! There are many discussions on the +p rating and ammo in this section and in the 'firing line'; just do a quick search from the home page and you will probably get all the info you can handle!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Speer Gold Dot short barrel in my 85 but it's not the UL model as for practice I usually use wadcutters or semi wadcutters in the 147 grain area they are very nice for practice. My wife has been shooting 38 for 30 + years and those are her loads of choice also, and she is the one carrying the 85 most of the time.
    Taurus 605 SSCH
    Taurus PT 1911
    Taurus M85
    Bersa thinder 380
    Ruger New Single Six
    Colt Diamondback
    To Many Kimbers
    To Many Colts
    AK's & AR's
    to many 22's
    Some EBR's too !

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

You and that homework you give out Qwiks draw,lol

Member #
    Liked
    8984 times

Wait till he asks about holsters.

Since this is one of the more asked questions ask and ye shall receive.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

Quote Originally Posted by nnpd471
    Hello everyone. Brand new to the forum. I shoot .45 autos, but just purchased a Taurus .38 SPL Model 85 UL with a 2" barrel for my female significant other. Cannot believe how light this gun is...I think it says 17 ounces.
    If it's the Mod 85 2BUL it is, in fact 17 ounces. I have a Mod 605 SH2 Titanium .357 which is only 16 ounces. I usually shoot Federal 130 gr .357 mag Hydra-Shok in it. It's a little stout but not too bad. My wife handles these OK but I got some Federal 129 gr Hydra-shok .38 +P for her to try and they're real "cream puffs" in my 16 ounce gun. I suggest that you try them in the Mod 85. They're marked "Personal Defense Low Recoil". I think that you and your significant other will really like them. Although they're +P the recoil is pretty mild even in a 16 ounce gun.
    Taurus 605 SH2 Titanium - .357 Mag
    S&W M410 40 S&W
    Kel-Tec P3AT HC 380 ACP
    Erma/Excam RX22 - 22 LR
    Ruger P89 9mm
    Rossi Ranch Hand .357 Mag Yes, this is a lever action handgun

Sponsored Links