Between these two calibers, which one would you carry?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Between these two calibers, which one would you carry?

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Im not wanting to start a war, but I have to ask. Would you prefer to carry 9mm pistol, or a 357 revolver for your edc sd gun? I am genuinely curious as to what people?s opinions are on this. And for which ever you pick, please provide your reasoning. But for the love of god don?t start a caliber war on here. Like I said. I?m just curious. I personally carry a 1988 model 66 4 inch barrel. And my reasoning is cause I live in the mountainous areas of TN and like the ability to use 38 to shoot rodents, but carry 357 when I?m hiking or if I encounter a bad guy or bear. Personally I?m going use my bear spray on the bear first though and follow up with shots as a last resort.

Member #
    Liked
    19415 times
    Both rounds have their merits and are very capable of personal protection against rodents and man. Now a bear I'm not sure and truthfully don't really care to find out first hand. Maybe the bear spray and a change of underwear would be the better route in this scenario.

I guess one question would be your choice of firearm and barrel length. The shorter barrel does result in a diminished impact of the bullet. How many rounds of ammunition would you prefer to have available without the need to reload. Most wheel guns 357/38spl are 5 to 6 round capacity, where the 9mm could be as high as 17 rounds.

Cost wise for shooting rodents the 9mm would be the cheaper choice as to ammunition cost.

I guess my answer would be to choose the firearm that you feel most comfortable with in reliability, accuracy, and familiarity of function under pressure.

As you noted, the 357 has the ability to fire two different calibers of ammunition which is a nice feature. There are however a few semi automatics that will allow this same flexibility with the simple exchange of the barrel. Such as the GLOCK .40sw can also fire 9mm and 357Sig by only changing out the barrel of the firearm. Conversion barrels average $129 to $159 depending on your choice of barrel, such as do you want ported, threaded, stainless, blued and such.

Personally I have stopped carrying my M85 and now focus more on carrying a semi auto, usually in a .380(aka 9mm short), 9mm or .40sw. My choice of carry for any given day will depend more of the weather, plans for the day and clothing selection. I also like having more than 5 rounds in the chamber if needed, which I pray they are never needed.

So in conclusion, I didn't start any caliber wars. But, I also didn't help much in supporting either one of your choice over the other.

Have a Great Day,
    Panda, MilProGuy and Desperado like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2749 times
    Didn't some guy in Alaska kill a grizzly bear with a 9mm several months ago?...
    Rossi and Yissnakk like this.
    Hang together or Hang seperately

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5953 times
    Well put Jon...I have nothing more to add!
    jonrjen likes this.
    I'll give you to the count of three to get off my property...one, two, BANG!

Member #
    Liked
    7714 times
    Revolver.

Bottom feeders are just a passing fad, sort of like smokeless powder.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    5434 times
    While a fan of both, I sold my 357 as it wasn't as concealable, had lower capacity, and most importantly the ammo was harder to find and more expensive than 9mm. I will probably get another 357 wheel gun, but it will be for range fun.

My PT 111 holds twice what the revolver did and it's easier to conceal. The PT 809 holds the times the ammo and probably conceals as well or better than even a snubby revolver. The cylinder thickness is the issue.

Member #
    Liked
    5115 times
    9mm is cheaper to shoot and provides more capacity. In general, it is easier to conceal.........I own a Ruger gp100....It is heavy and im not even going to try to wear it concealed....So, to answer your question, only you can determine what is right for you...Im glad i own the ruger and would not sell it. It is great to have choices!
    CaptainMorgan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7279 times
    I find myself carrying my Ruger LCR 357 more that any of my other carry guns just because it is do easy to carry, Five rounds of 158 JHP will stop most any threat even out of the short barrel and if I haven't solved the problem with five rounds then I most likely lost anyway even though I carry two speed loaders. When weather becomes cooler and coats are the norm I will carry larger and higher capacity arms.
    NC DCJTSD Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Member #
    Liked
    5132 times
    If those were my only 2 choices, I'd go with the 9mm for OC and probably CC also.
    switchbow likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4889 times
    The location where you are is a factor most people don't consider. In urban settings, bad guys and threats appear at closer ranges than in rural or mountain areas. I can understand your rational for carrying the more powerful 357 revolver the mountains.
    The cost of shooting involves 2 costs: the price of the firearm and the cost of your ammo. Over the lifetime of owning a handgun, I find I spent 2 to 10 times as much on ammo as I did the handgun. Perhaps you can save money by purchasing a 9mm to shoot rodents and use the 357 in the mountains.
    one42A likes this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links