Has anyone actually tried Buffalo Bore 44 mag +P ammo
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Has anyone actually tried Buffalo Bore 44 mag +P ammo

Besides its regular line of heavy 44 mag heavy ammo, it has a +P LFN version at 340 gr. moving out the barrel at 1478 fps and 1649 ft/lbs energy. Wow! Company says Raging Bull anong revolvers that can take these pressures. Has anyone actually tried the +P in his raging bull. I'd like to try it but not until I'm convinced it's really OK.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32397 times

Re: Has anyone actually tried Buffalo Bore 44 mag +P ammo

I'd wanna test it with an Ohler and strain gauge for chamber pressure. Sounds a tad hot. Sounds more like rifle/carbine velocities, actually. A 340 grain .451" bullet is long. 340 grains in a .429" must be pushing OAL limits.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32397 times

I went to BB's site and checked it out. Says it's +P+ pressure. Now, I'm unaware of any SAAMI +P let alone +P+ pressure standard. I'm thinkin' user beware. Personally, if I needed that sort of ballistics from a handgun, I'd bet a .454 Casull. I've always been a believer in staying inside SAAMI specs. I have loaded via the manuals to "Ruger/TC only" .45 Colt specs. There are new SAAMI specs for those, now, 25,000 CUP.

I know BB has a good rep and it's your gun, so use at your own risk is all I can say. Me, I wouldn't touch the stuff. At the very least, it'll prematurely wear your firearm. But, then again, I don't think I could afford enough of the stuff to wear out a Raging Bull with it. LOL I sure as heck ain't gonna try to match those ballistics with handloads.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Spider senses tingling. As pointed out, there is no such thing as a +P 44 magnum load. (Or 357 or 41 for that matter) The magnum cartridges are already operating way up there in chamber pressure, companies that load beyond that and call it a +P are doing so without SAAMI blessings. Might as well have a handloader give you some of his "special" loads that are over max and hold your breath when you pull the trigger.

I'd stay away from it.

Member #
    Liked
    33306 times

Other than the "thrill" of wondering if it will blow up in your face, what would be the point of shooting it? Too many other ways to get the job done safely.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    2826 times

Gee whiz....1649 foot pounds!!!!
    Thats at least twice the energy developed in a very powerful gun...can you hold it in your hand when it fires? Thats got to be some serious recoil.
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33041 times

If I were going into bear country with a 44 magnum, that's probably what I'd want to take.....but you can't just shoot this stuff out of a Tracker.....it would have to be a Raging Bull, or a S&W N frame, or a Ruger. I wouldn't take the chance with anything else.......

These bad boys wouldn't fit into the Tracker cylinder anyway.

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    1804 times

I just examined the photo of the cartridge box and noticed that while it mentions Ruger Redhawk and TC, it leaves out Ruger Blackhawk. If that's an accurate statement, it would scare me off.

The BHawk is one of the strongest actions ever made. I shot one for years with a 10" barrel, and handloaded for metallic silhoutte up to about 1300fps. And that was a very HOT load, but the shooting was at 200 meters.

I think I'd really have to believe I needed this much power in order to use in a normal 44 mag. Probably better off going to a bigger caliber like the 45 mag or 454 casull if you really need it, IMHO.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links