PPU 38 special by Prvi Partizan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: PPU 38 special by Prvi Partizan

Member #
    Liked
    270 times

PPU 38 special by Prvi Partizan

Are these decent for use on the practice range?

I bought a box of 50 for $23.16 including tax. They are 138 grain rather than my preferred 158 grain, but they are FMJ.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    34502 times
    I've used these in my Ruger SP101 and S&W 586. They shoot as good as I can. They do have a little different sort of aroma about them, but that's not really anything to complain about.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    In a part of Texas where it is so flat, you can watch a mistreated dog run away for three days!
    Liked
    10715 times
    Smokewagon and I both have shot a lot of the Priva Partisan ammo in .357 mag., under the Academy Monarch brand, which is $22.95 per 50 in 158 Grain Jacketed Hollow-point. For .357, that is less than you can buy range fodder and it is hard to find 158 grain Hollow points anyhow.

Recently at Academy (I always have recent trips to Academy, at least weekly) I noticed they had Monarch .38 special standard velocity 158 gn. Jacketed hollow points for $17.99. That is probably one of the hardest loads to find today, that I have kept a constant lookout for over 5 years. Most factory hollow-points are of +P or lighter grain bullets. I have three revolvers that are not rated for +P and two are short barrel anyhow, and from what I've always been told, the 158 grain is ideal for snubs and short barrels.

I haven't shot any of the Monarch (Priva Partisan) .38 special yet, but it is as cheap as most range ammo. I will definitely pick up a box or two when I see it from now on. I'll fire a few rounds next time I'm at the range, but if it is anything like it's big brother, it will be fine.

That aroma Smokewagon speaks of is akin to the smell of burning armpit hair!
    Smokewagon likes this.

Mark Twain once said “In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.”

"Fears, not years, make men old!" Mac McCallister

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    27749 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
    Are these decent for use on the practice range?

I bought a box of 50 for $23.16 including tax. They are 138 grain rather than my preferred 158 grain, but they are FMJ.
    I have shot a bit of PPU but not in 38 Spl. My neighbor shoots the devil out of it in Academy loads and gives me the spent brass in 9Mm/ 45 acp. But in a fixed sight short barreled 38 Spl I don't know if it would print POA or not, especially in the lighter projectile? there really isn't any bad factory ammo as general rule, they would quickly be out of business due to lawsuits if so. only way to see is to get a box and shoot it. I believe that PPU is loaded to CIP pressures and may be a tad warmer than USA factory rounds but still within safe pressure limits.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    7669 times
    PPU is good stuff, I have shot quite a bit in .45acp. I have not shot much of anything besides reloads in .38spc in a few years.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

"I think our governments will remain virtuous for many centuries; as long as
    they are chiefly agricultural; and this will be as long as there shall be vacant
    lands in any part of America. When they get piled upon one another in large
    cities, as in Europe, they will become corrupt as in Europe."
    Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, December 20, 1787

Member #
    Liked
    12325 times
    I don't have a .38 anymore, but I've shot a lot of PPU in other calibers. Good stuff. Another brand I've been having good luck with is Armscor. You can get 158 grain fmj's for $17.75 for a box of fifty, or $345 for 1k rounds. Aguila 158 grain semi jhp's for about the same price, too. JAT - 38 Specials
    morrcarr67 likes this.
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    2967 times
    PPU has worked well for me. No complaints.
    I am the nicest guy on earth, Just ask me.
    Sand Lake 2014, 2015
    Wisconsin 2014, 2015, 2017
    Rapid City 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
    Non Illigitimus Carborundum

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    23149 times
    PPU (Privi Partizan) is great stuff! I've used it in 9mm, 5.56x45mm, and 7.62x39mm.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    1345 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarJake View Post
    That aroma Smokewagon speaks of is akin to the smell of burning armpit hair!
    Sir, may I inquire as to the circumstances to which you had the occasion to smell some armpit hair burning? For it is an aroma that I myself am not familiar with.
    "Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils" New Hampshire Revolutionary War General John Stark

"DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
    Benjamin Franklin

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." Wayne LaPierre

Member #
    In a part of Texas where it is so flat, you can watch a mistreated dog run away for three days!
    Liked
    10715 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nedave View Post
    Sir, may I inquire as to the circumstances to which you had the occasion to smell some armpit hair burning? For it is an aroma that I myself am not familiar with.
    We had a long term "Alf" stuffed doll that finally gave up the ghost when a new pup got a hold of him. He had practically been a family member for over 20 years. As a result, we, elected to cremate him. He had very long arm pit hair! Really stunk!

Name:  Alf-Movie-is-coming.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  232.2 KB
    Last edited by LonestarJake; 12-03-2013 at 07:22 AM.
    dbeardslee and jwc007 like this.

Mark Twain once said “In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.”

"Fears, not years, make men old!" Mac McCallister

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links