• 2 Post By Peacemakr40
  • 1 Post By Peacemakr40

Thread: Yet another "I Hate you for posting this I gotta try it" Dinner

Member #
    Liked
    21750 times

Yet another "I Hate you for posting this I gotta try it" Dinner

Chicken Enchilada Casserole.
    This is a recipe my wife got from her mother. It takes time for the prep work but when you see how much we make, you'll understand.
    I don't have many of the measurements so I will try to estimate what they were. Some I have absolute confirmation, bear with me.
    Start with either a whole chicken or about 4-6 lbs of bone in skin on chicken breasts. You will need the bones and skin for flavoring
    Boil the whole lot in a stew pan with maybe 3/4 gallon of water. 1 cut up white onion and about 2 full heads of smashed garlic.
    Boil until the chicken is done (about 2- 3 hours). Remove the chicken and let cool (I mean COOL, trust me)
    Debone and deskin the chicken. Remove as much of the meat as you can and shred. Since you will be doing this by hand, if it's not cooled, you will burn your hands.
    In the largest skillet you have (might take two) bring 2 cans of Cream of Chicken (Cream of Celery or Mushroom also work), those same cans worth of the chicken stock, 3 cans of diced green chiles and the shredded chicken to a boil. Add in container of sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste.You want this to be pretty soupy as it will thicken in the casserole. remove from heat.
    Name:  Filling mix.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  133.9 KB

Name:  ingedients.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  138.2 KBSpray your casserole pan with pam. If Pam doesn't like spraying, use some other means to grease the pan. In the picture we use a professional lasagna pan that measures 12 x 16 x 3 3/4" deep.
    Name:  Bottom layer.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  142.6 KB

Ladle in a thin coating of the soupy mixure into the bottom and spread out to cover. Add 1 layer of the corn torillas. I recommend the white corn tortillas as they are not as prone to curling up when cooked. add another layer of the soupy mix to get good coverage. top that with yet another layer of tortillas.
    Repeat this until you nearly fill the pan and top off with a final layer of tortillas and top that with Shredded cheese. We used a Colby, cheddar mix.
    Name:  Final layer adding cheese.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  134.2 KB

Name:  ingredients 2.jpg
Views: 1886
Size:  154.1 KBCook in a preheated oven at 350 for 30-45 mins until the cheese on top starts to bubble and slightly brown.

Remove and let stand for 10 minutes.

Serve up on your finest China. I recommend a Dos XX or a Cervesa. Tequilas go with it as well, but after a few you forget what you're eating.

See next post for additional images.
    CB236 and Wolf1477 like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    21750 times
    Finished dinner
    Name:  Finished.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  201.1 KB

Dinner on Fine China. the Beer is still in the fridge.
    Name:  Dinner is served.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  151.8 KB
    Last edited by Peacemakr40; 03-28-2013 at 03:15 AM. Reason: That's my son's plate. I eat about a third of that
    Wolf1477 likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    4743 times
    OK, gonna have to try that one!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links